Get the councils of our back!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDR

Reaction score
Yep that's right guys the councils trying to ban family's riding on there own property!

There always banning something but this time we wont let it happen!

They are not taking away kids dreams,the chance to have a life instead of playing cod all day and to stop councils ruining kids lives and not let them follow there dreams!

Join the group: Stop Councils Banning Dirt Bike Families Riding on their Own Land. | causes.com

invite all your friends via facebook everyone counts!

Don't let them take the things we love away from us it's just not fair.

We need at least 50,000 people to join
so come on! don't say no. Join and support you and everyone else that ride bikes

not the council!

it doesn't matter if you ride Mini bikes, Quad bikes, Dirt bikes even if you don't even ride at all if you feel inside that it's not fair then join!!! it wont hurt just to press the join button

cheers Andrew (TDR)

ps. (I'm not the owner of the cause I'm just trying to support it)

Last edited:
Totally Agree!

But there is a way, you need to get a permit from the council as you can't just ride a bike even if you own the property. Its not a new problem, its been happening for years, especially in casey, frankston, kingston and dandenong council juristictions.

If you want to ride on your property, get a permit farm bike or have your bike fully raod registered.

ive invited all my riding friends and also a couple of my non riding friends and got my mum to invite
50+ friends!
cmon guys i live on 100's of acres and dont wannt to be told i cant ride on our land by the council!

Last edited:
Totally Agree!

But there is a way, you need to get a permit from the council as you can't just ride a bike even if you own the property. Its not a new problem, its been happening for years, especially in casey, frankston, kingston and dandenong council juristictions.

If you want to ride on your property, get a permit farm bike or have your bike fully raod registered.

i know were your coming from but don't we pay enough
power bills
water bills
tax
insurance
and it goes on

family's pay there rates they own the land so they should be able to do what ever they want it's not the councils job to tell what they can and can't do on there personal land
what people do on there land is there business and if the council doesn't like it

STIFF SH*t

i know were your coming from but don't we pay enough
power bills
water bills
tax
insurance
and it goes on

family's pay there rates they own the land so they should be able to do what ever they want it's not the councils job to tell what they can and can't do on there personal land
what people do on there land is there business and if the council doesn't like it

STIFF SH*t

Unfortunatly, the Rule of Law doesn't agree with what you and almost ever other property owner in Australia.
When you buy land, you agree to be bound by the the Federal and State laws and also local council by-laws. Its the same reason you need a building permit to build a house on your land, the council check the proposed plans to make sure the building is safe and is with the building rules, otherwise we would end up with a city looking like the slums of India or Brazil.
If you bought a nice block of land to live and ride bikes on with your neighbour next you a dairy farmer. He then sells up and sells the land to Origin energy who build a dirty coal fired power station that runs 24hrs a day and pumpes out chemicals the kills off all of your grass, trucks coming in at 3am and not allowing you to sleep, the air becomes unbreathable as a result from the chemicals and pollution. Oh and not to mention the value of your property went from 800k to 50k.

Tell me... would you be angry? They are only doing what they want their land!

Motorbikes are seen as a nusance to councils, and that id why they have introduced the permit scheme. So they can effectivly regulate when and how you use your land as not to annoy everyone else around you.

I wish we could do what we want with our land, as it means I can go riding on private mx tracks that are 10 times better than what we have currently available.

Tip. ride one of the new 'Zero' bikes and I guarantee no one will have a sook about you riding on your private property without a permit.

haha barnes, your zero comment is interesing. yes they will. Had a mate with BMX jumps going down the fence of his property, probably about 9 or so doubles. neighbour complained, said it was an eyesore, dusty, and scared her horses. council came past, issued a notice to demolish an "unorthorised construction" because they deemed it to be a structure larger than a certain dimension ( they went for about 60 metres) and contained too much dirt, and required retaining walls for water drainage. Beurocracy gone flippin mental i tell you.

Edit: you can do whatever you like on your land, as long as no one finds out.

those zero bike sound strange.

im sorry to hear about the council pissing u off. up at my farm when we were younger we had a dirt driveway we would mostly ride on and a council member who is 2 doors down came and complained. my uncle just gave it too her and told her to piss off and go call 000. keep fighting them though, i know my scenario isnt as serious as urs. what was there reason behind not allowing you to ride?

i really hope they don't and we not riding on the road if we have our on land.
even if they do i'll keep riding and no way im riding those stupid zero bikes!

Unfortunatly, the Rule of Law doesn't agree with what you and almost ever other property owner in Australia.
When you buy land, you agree to be bound by the the Federal and State laws and also local council by-laws. Its the same reason you need a building permit to build a house on your land, the council check the proposed plans to make sure the building is safe and is with the building rules, otherwise we would end up with a city looking like the slums of India or Brazil.
If you bought a nice block of land to live and ride bikes on with your neighbour next you a dairy farmer. He then sells up and sells the land to Origin energy who build a dirty coal fired power station that runs 24hrs a day and pumpes out chemicals the kills off all of your grass, trucks coming in at 3am and not allowing you to sleep, the air becomes unbreathable as a result from the chemicals and pollution. Oh and not to mention the value of your property went from 800k to 50k.

Tell me... would you be angry? They are only doing what they want their land!

Motorbikes are seen as a nusance to councils, and that id why they have introduced the permit scheme. So they can effectivly regulate when and how you use your land as not to annoy everyone else around you.

I wish we could do what we want with our land, as it means I can go riding on private mx tracks that are 10 times better than what we have currently available.

Tip. ride one of the new 'Zero' bikes and I guarantee no one will have a sook about you riding on your private property without a permit.

that's just bull **** people mow there lawns people cut branches off over grown trees or even the tree it self people use whipper snipers people drive cars to work everyday! all these are activity's that happen in my town and i can breath perfectly fine thank you and do you see me whingeing? as long as we ride at a reasonable time why does it matter can't the neighbors just be satisfied with what they have got don't you think it's better to live in a house then on the streets

sorry but i can't agree with you

but i do know were your coming from but idk

and if you had enough brains you would realize that large properties means more activity's using motor vehicles

if you don't like it go live somewhere else why don't people think about the area there choosing to live in and check it out before they buy it?

i just don't get why can't people stop whingeing and get on with life it's not like they can't sleep at night.

if people are riding early in the morning then yes i can understand but seriously

I have seen a zero being ridden,although they aren't as fast as a 450, they get out of corners better and have better overall performance than a 250, purely from the torque of the electric engine. Give them a couple of years and I'm sure electric bikes will be as fast and reliable as a petrol bike. I see it as in 10-15 years we will all be riding electric bikes.

Back on the council issue, the main complaints coming from other residents is the noise that bikes make, dust is next, then the eyesore of the jumps.

There is a few loop holes, Full registration.. they can't ban you from riding a fully registered bike on your property, if they did, it would extend to all registered vehicles, being tractors and your everyday car, but they can get you on noise and dust, so don't have a loud race pipe on and have it on the limiter all day.
To limit the sound emitted, plant HEAPS of trees around your track or property, tress absorb lots of sound and stop it travelling to neighbours properties and block onlookers view of what you are actually up to.
Water your track regulary, and keep the dust down to minimum.

Combine a quite bike, set riding times of only 1 or 2 hours once or twice a week, trees to stop noise and view, and a watered dustless track, your chances of neighbours cracking it at you are greatly reduced and you may be able to ride without a permit. However if you are doing these things, your chances of getting a permit to ride your bike are greatly increased and you shouldn't have much trouble stating your case to the council or VCAT (in Victoria) if you really do want to fight it.

But if you want to make no effort and ride in an open paddock and annoy the hell out of your neighbours, and are situated in in a land zoning that requires a permit, then honestly you get what you are served.

why don't people think about the area there choosing to live in and check it out before they buy it?

if people are riding early in the morning then yes i can understand but seriously

TDR, you are bang on the money!

People do need to know what is required by the authorities before they buy or begin an activity on thier property.

look i know several people that hose down there tracks they have tuns of trees around them and all that and ride crf250's with race pipes and full modded like hell and there neighbors don't complain there neighbors enjoy watching and even got involved

so why can't the neighbors be nicer towards them for starters you can become friends with the guys on the bikes and join in the fun as well
and the main thing this is about is kids...
kids that are riding crf50's that are so quite you can only just here them 5-10 meters away

and I'm going to ask a question nicely

if your so interested in the environment and law

why do you even ride bikes?

don't come snapping back at me was just asking.

TDR, you are bang on the money!

People do need to know what is required by the authorities before they buy or begin an activity on thier property.

i think you miss understood what i meant the other people that are complaining about bikes why DONT THEY think before they choose surely they'd no more land = more activity so why live there

also whats the difference between a official track and a block of land

they both can use bikes
they all have telephones for emergency

just one of them signed a gay peace of paper and one didn't?

i could get people to come over and make them sign a form and pay to enter and i don't see the difference i have a phone for emergency's i have neighbors so would the official track owners so why does it matter

just because someone signed a peace of paper and handed over 300 dollars or what ever shouldn't change what we can and can't do but that's my opinion

also whats the difference between a official track and a block of land

they both can use bikes
they all have telephones for emergency

just one of them signed a gay peace of paper and one didn't?

i could get people to come over and make them sign a form and pay to enter and i don't see the difference i have a phone for emergency's i have neighbors so would the official track owners so why does it matter

just because someone signed a peace of paper and handed over 300 dollars or what ever shouldn't change what we can and can't do but that's my opinion

A town planner can answer the question the best.
But it comes down to land zoning and permits.
You need a permit to open a restaurant, permit to serve alcohol, a permit to build a house.

Unfortunatly, thats the society we live in.

I'm not a greeny by any stretch of the imagination, I love riding bikes, I'm just rying to part some knowledge gained along the way of having a permit granted to ride bikes on a rural zoned property in Koo Wee Rup. There were many things that needed to be done in order to satisfy the neighbours, council and epa.

And yes, make friends with your neighbours, invite them to ride with you or work with them to organise a suitable time for you ride, it saves the hassle of the council getting involved.

Proper tracks have gone through the permit process and they carry insurance, some MA other just Public liability. you could always option for this and make money from it, but it is expensive and still comes down to the fact that you need a permit from the council to do it.

Latest posts

Back