Get ya Motorcycle Safety lecture here!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how many of you have actually had to watch a friend die? had to see their family, their wives, their children grow up without fathers or mothers? Well i got knews for any of you who think that safety is sum bullshit that ppl preech to be heard... First hand i have had to see these things happen, more than once, and each time i lost a friend, they were doing the right thing... On tracks, supervised and riding safe... Even being a safe rider/driver is not 100% guarenteed to save your life, its just to give you better odds of living to enjoy it again another day... If you wanna ride hard do it, you want to live dangerously? Do it... Just dont discredit someone who has tried to give you the bennefit of their experience... If they care enough to make a point, listen, but dont shit on them for caring... It just means they know sumptin you dont...

well said my uncle died riding a motorbike and he was doing the right thing

Riding a motorcycle on the road is one of the most scary things ever.
You are so exposed, and so much faster than on a trail in the bush.
You fall off on a track or on a snotty hill in the forest you are not usually going all that fast, maybe 30-40kmh if that.
You stack on a road at 60kmh or faster you're gonna feel it.

Its stupid, I take my bike out to the bush, ive got mxboots, helmet, goggles,
kneepads, armour, jacket with padded armor.
I ride my bike on the road ive got sturdy work boots (lace up). helmet, jacket with padded armour, draggin' jeans.
Kind of crazy. The road hurts more.
You gotta be careful anywhere, even in a forest you cant treat it as your own personal race track, or you're gonna meet a bike or a 4x4 comin the other way.

Constantly on the road people are about to pull out in front of me off side streets, they just don't look. Anything you can learn before you ride on the road has to help you in the long run.

One of the reason authorities are so harsh on mini riders is the lack of insurance. And Id be pissed to if some bastard on an mx bike ran into me, it comes out of my excess, and my rating. Unless the insurance company chases down the other guy, which could bankrupt them or their parents.

I wish the government would allow a few hundred acres in each state forest for non registered bikes and non licensed riders, maybe some sort of yearly fee to cover personal insurance, or allow them to ride state forest with some sort of permit if a parent or guardian was riding with them. It would stop a lot of Law breaking. I want to be able to take my stepson riding, but legally I cant, except for mxtracks, private property.

Ruby, you wanna explain the different uses for front and back brake on the road, thats one thing Im not very good at yet, but its important to learn.

when you ride over 100km a week on a MonkeyBike you soon realise its not the motorcyclists causing all the accidents, people in cars are insane at times!!!

ive never had a close call on the monkey cause i never let it get to that stage, iam always looking ahead keeping an eye on all the cars, and i generally know when some dic is gonna do something stupid in a car.

For all those positivley contributing to this thread, I thank you very much. Theres no better weapon to have than the power of knowledge, because knowledge is everything.... and for those who want to act tuff and try to be all hard...your time will come;)

As Ruby said in previous posts, a vast majority of the teenagers on this site will be the future generation of Road bike riders.. I myself being one of them. Bikes are dangerous and deadly! But with a good amount of know-how on how your bike performs and reacts to different weather conditions and what to do to avoid dangerous situations, you could save your life!

Inexperience amongst motorcyclists is a contributing factor in many motorcycle crashes. As with car drivers, experience is critical in making motorcyclists safer on the roads, and all this knowledge is contributing to your knowledge of the kinds of hazards us futre/present riders face.

Motorcyclists have a high vulnerability to sustaining injuries on the road given their limited protection in the event of a crash. So gear up and ride safely boys.

yeh, xFOADx is right, riding on a bike at 100k's on the road doesn't look the same as in a car! lol luckily i don't get scared, dad is a fast, but safe rider...well atleast when im on the back, LOL.
yeh he rides with an alipinestar jacket, some whacky expensive helmet and gloves (i just bought him new ones as his are getting old for father's day) SHHH no1 tell him tho, lol. he won't let me ride on the back without a good helmet, pants (usually jeans), a jumper or mi leather jacket i got off a mate.
Hey is any1 headin down 2 phillip island for the race today?? ir ur there around 3 i'll look out 4 ya, mi mate Mick Miceli is racing a Falcon hotted up as a GT and now that his car is good, he will probably win as he is extremely talented.
peace out

I've been to many funerals for friends who have died on our roads. Some were innocent victums, others were being stupid at the time. But no one deserves death. My views on motorcycling and motorcycle safety has been forged with the good and bad times.

Ruby, you wanna explain the different uses for front and back brake on the road, thats one thing Im not very good at yet, but its important to learn.

It ultimately depends on the bike you're riding. Sports bikes rely mostly (if not entirely) on the front brake, whereas cruisers like (haha) Harleys have a large reliance on the back brake. This is all due to the sitting position and where your body weight is. A harley for example will just fold the fornt wheel under heavy front wheel braking, so the front and rear brakes should be used 60:40. A sportsbike with the rider leaning on the bars means the fornt brakes carry more of the responsibility of stopping. Hell, I rarely use the back brake ... rarely. An experienced sportsbike rider would use the front and rear brakes around the 90:10 mark.

To answer your question in a road use sense (on a sports tourer), you're more using the brakes 70% front and 30% rear, depending if you are upright or on a lean. A neutral riding position like a sports-tourer bike (Honda Hornet etc) means 70% of braking is with the front and the rear brake helps to add stopping power too. However, in an emergency stop if the front brake is grabbed hard enough alot of weight transfer happens to the front, if the rear brake is used the rear might lock up, so in this case less rear brake (20%) is used.

Ultimately, this is too much of a broad question. So many examples and so many scenarios. For me, on track, I use front brake mostly and only ever use the rear brake to 'tidy up my line' mid-turn and out of a turn (also helps stop the front wheel coming up so I can keep the bike pointed in the direction I want to go). However, I have tuned my suspension and modified my brakes to do so. There are too many variables to give a straight answer.

Another tip ... attend a Knee Scrappers day (track day) if you ever can, they talk about bike setup, including brakes.

Another explanation of the above:

Take a cruiser (like a Harley or Honda Shadow), the forks are long and soft. If you are braking on these bikes it would be 60:40 front and rear, so you'd want to allow yourself lots of room for smooth comfortable braking. In an emergency, if you grabbed the brakes quickly, like riding a sports bike or race bike, the suspension will do its best to soak up that suspension travel in the emergency braking situation. When the suspension compresses so much that it has used all its travel, the rake or angle of the forks is now steeper. Length from front wheel axle to frame is reduced and therefore rake is steeper and steering response is lighter. Also, the front wheels are usually far heavier than sportsbike wheels. Due to this, the 'front can fold' meaning the bars suddenly turn one way or the other as the front wheel locks up and the rider goes down in a 'low side' crash. So you can see the suspension also plays a key role in braking ability. So too does tyre choice and grip.

Sportsbikes have a more aggressive chassis setup and brakes to match. The steering angle is steep to begin with (24 degrees or so) compared to a cruiser , so any change in the rake due to emergency braking and compression of the forks is not as much as compared to cruisers. Plus most sportsbikes have steering dampers anyway to prevent the steering being light and fragile. Sportsbikes also have the added advantage of having fully adjustable suspension front and rear, so you can tune the bike to your riding style. Cruisers can't without rebuilding.

Due to this, the 'front can fold' meaning the bars suddenly turn one way or the other as the front wheel locks up and the rider goes down in a 'low side' crash.

Ive done this so many times in 4th on my pitty ahah.

This is all good info for me as Im gonna be riding on the road soon. :D

My first crash on the race track was a low side on my Aprilia RS250 LOL

Went too hot into a hard left hander and had the bike on full lean and still squeezing the Brembo brakes, scrapping my knee sliders. Lean some more, scrapping my pegs. Just a little bit more, and then the front goes out from under me! I end up sliding off the track at about 80kph into the runoff area kicking up dust and dirt. LOL

But who says you can't scrape the pegs on an RS250? LOL

Latest posts

Back