getting rego

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

endless

Reaction score
hi i have a few z50s K2
i want to get one registered for road use if i can none of the bike i have got the comp plate on them is there a way around that ,
i know if i want club reg i can get it easly as long as i have an eng nimber and a vin numbers,
can any one help ,for got to say i am in vic

also i have a k2 with a battery box all the id charts for the z50s i have seen say that only the k1 had the box not the k2 (oval badge )
any help would be great thanks

pre about 1976 bikes didnt have compliance plates

it is possible to register bikes back that age but of course it is difficult

best idea is to speak to vic roads armed with the info you require, vin/eng and being able to state the manufacture date info from the net or honda

let us know how you go

It wont be easy. Im in the process of getting two Z50J's registered in victoria, both of which carry compliance plates. They both have passed their road worthy inspection and have a certificate but vicroads wont let me book them in for registration because they have no record of the vin's on their system. This is because they have never been registered since new. So, ive had to write a letter to some manager of some vicroads department asking for permission to register them. Should be ok due to the compliance plates but im sure it would be tough trying to do this on a pre-76...

G

I had no trouble registering my complianced z50j in NSW even though it had never been regod before. A mate of mine has had his old 71 model regod for years. I think he just had to show them that it was a roadwothy bike that came out before compliance plates were fitted, but I imagine that it is getting more difficult all the time.

I dont understand why it could be difficult to rego these.

Had no issues at all registering my Z50A-K2. Noted on the blue-slip it is 'pre-compliance' and so no comp plate needed. The blue slip mechanic called the RTA (NSW) the person on the line knew everything about them, provided the mechanic with the specs like power output, weight, etc. The process after this was same as registering any kind of motor vehicle.

But I would recommend having some documentation on the bike handy for when you get the inspection done incase they dont have this info.

Last edited:
It wont be easy. Im in the process of getting two Z50J's registered in victoria, both of which carry compliance plates. They both have passed their road worthy inspection and have a certificate but vicroads wont let me book them in for registration because they have no record of the vin's on their system. This is because they have never been registered since new. So, ive had to write a letter to some manager of some vicroads department asking for permission to register them. Should be ok due to the compliance plates but im sure it would be tough trying to do this on a pre-76...

G

that just reminded me of my mate that found a late 60's CT90 2000 oringinal miles, stashed away in a shed in qld

he had to write a letter as well, took a month or so to come back

yeh, i just hope my k2 is as easy to rego in NSW,

i have the engine and frame numbers, receipt of sale from previous owner is there any other information i should need to present to my blue slip mechanic ?

i do have a part manual that identifies the model periods by frame number ( eg 1971 z50 -- 280,000 to 300,000) are identified as a 1971 ? would that be sufficent evidence to present ?

if you have any other info that would be great.

Cheers ~!

well on a side topic i had my 81 scorpion regoed last year has issues because the data tags (complience plate ) was not on the fire wall or on the car they were removed when i got the engine bay painted -they were saying it was a grey import and it could not be regoed , i bought it as a rolling shell and rebuilt it i knew it had rego because when i change the windscreen it had a sticker, basicly i had to find all the info to say that the cars vin number has had vic reg,
8 hours later i got my plates by finding the original owners name a getting a cross check done
the point is that vin numbers have only been recorded by vic roads since 88or 89 i think is what the guy told me and because the car was one owner and the vin was not needed in 1981 they did not have it on the system
so there must be a way around it

also i have two honda benlys from 58-9 and a 61 they dont have plates but have been registered so i guess i am going to hitting my head up against the wall with them to

vin numbers have only been recorded by vic roads since 88or 89

That's where my problem lies.

Remember, every state has different registration authorities - some more leaniant than others...

Latest posts

Back