Gimme a quieter exhaust!!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KtmJono_777

Reaction score
Howdy,
I need some advice on an exhaust system. I want to quieten my bike down for some of the areas I ride, but don't want to strangle too much power out of it. I am thinking a system that has quiet inserts would be the go. That way I can still easily open her up when I'm on closed course rides.

I have a stock YX160 engine and the stock muffler is freaking loud. I just can't work out which exact muffler system is the right size for the engine and which ones contain removable inserts. Can anyone give me the right info? Thanks!

Jono.

The pro circuit is still loud. What year is your bike? The stock has an insert. So maybe you are already missing it? The exhaust hole is about an inch without the insert and about half with the insert. It also has a cone shaped strainer with the insert as well nOt sure what it does. But must help.

Hmm I'll have a look tonight. Its a PitPro 160XR that I bought last year, but who knows when it was actually put together.. seemed like it had been in the create for a while. Its just a nameless china muffler on it. From memory the end cap hole is pretty big, I doubt there is a restrictor in there. That cone thing sounds like a cheap attempt at a Spark Arrestor. Not sure that I have that either but I will look tonight.

The pro circuit is still loud. What year is your bike? The stock has an insert. So maybe you are already missing it? The exhaust hole is about an inch without the insert and about half with the insert. It also has a cone shaped strainer with the insert as well nOt sure what it does. But must help.

Yeah no insert in my pipe. Its basically a straight through set up. No wonder its loud. Any suggestions for a pipe that's quieter guys?

I can't help you with what pipe to buy, but seeing as pipes can be pretty expensive I'd probably look at making a resonator myself with some thin-ish sheet metal. I'm not really sure how you'd make one but you could probably just make a bit of a cone that slips over your exhaust with a hose clamp or something to hold it in place.

It would save you a couple of hundred dollars :)

I can't help you with what pipe to buy, but seeing as pipes can be pretty expensive I'd probably look at making a resonator myself with some thin-ish sheet metal. I'm not really sure how you'd make one but you could probably just make a bit of a cone that slips over your exhaust with a hose clamp or something to hold it in place.

It would save you a couple of hundred dollars :)

I'll keep that in mind if I get stingy down the line. Haha. :laughing-smiley-002

Or you could just use this
Exhaust Stainless Steel High Grade Wire Wool Wrap 1M | eBay
cheap n bodgy way out, but hey, i'm cheap n bodgy :)

Yeah I once tried this idea on my old DR350 to get it passed rego.. It choked it up so bad it would keep stalling at lights and it still failed the test. Haha.. It may be more effective on the 160cc tho.. Could be a option for a cheap immediate result for sure. :thumbup: In the long run tho I think I'd like a decent can on it.

I'd love to graft a FMF Q4 (for a CRF150/230) into the pipe, but I think the can will be too long. I can't find any dimensions on it.. or if the pipe size is correct, or even close. :confused-smiley-013

Latest posts

Back