go kart with lifan engine

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_jared13

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just wondering if you could give me and my mate any tips or pointers or advice or anything because we are going to build a gokart and put a lifan engine in it. Most likely the 140cc. So we were pretty much just enquiring about it. If anyone has done it before if you could give any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Jared and Harry

info on what sort of cart would help a bit, track, dirt? axle set up? size?
all good for a good reply.

Thats the thing, we don't know the size or anything yet. It would most likely be around acreage property/road. Have you had any experience in this before?

man if you can get acess to all the bits you need then your right :) thats the main thing youll find, especially if you dont wanna spend HEAPS but just get a frame going, dram some rough sketchs and get one welded up or buy one or watever and then just start fitting the bits you need and then make up brackets for then engine and if you leave enough space you can always upgrade engine size :)

but put the right rubber on it and will a fiddy engine we predicted that shell hang a drift and a half :) just take her out in the wet :)

good luck =)

i've built quite a few karts an buggies, ranging from 5hp briggs & straton powered to 2006 R1 powered buggie.

the size of it will depend on what engine you run. you'd be surprised at what a 140 lifan will do in a mid sized cart!

1fifty1wheel do you have any pictures of your projects you could show please. What would anyone suggest; to either have the go kart one wheel drive. Or an axel to make it 2 wheel drive and have crap steering and control

haven't got any of previous ones, can take a picture of the frame of the current buggy frame after tuesday when i get home. it's a bit large for a 140 though. this will be powered by a cbr1000 motor which i have in the shed ready to go. and use a paddle shift i've designed on auto cad, will try throw a picof it up tonight

as for the rear axle, budget and use is the question, a single driven wheel will perform better at low speeds and is set up easier if you only have wheels with bearings in them, an axle driving both is much more fun, especially in loose dirt and mud and only requires a couple of pillow block bearings and a key way in the axle for the drive sprocket/brake (alternatively a carefully placed shallow hole can work but recommend the use of a key way.

when i finish work tomorrow morning if i have time i'll quickly draw up a front steering set up.

thanks for all your help so far guys. yea if you could get some pictures up it would be great. Also that website is very helpfull. Thanks alot.
Cheers

just a pic of the paddle i designed to get your mind ticking over

paddleshot.jpg

Last edited:
that looks sweet as mate. cheers for showing that. I got a question what would be better steel. Round or square. I know square would be a lot easier to weld. But what is stronger? Cheers again for your help

as far as i'm aware square is stronger for a weight to weight basis as when stresses are applied directly downwards or across there is a larger flat area inline to spread this stress. that is why a majority of tow packs these days are made from rhs, not pipe. it is definately easier to work with.

did a quick basic steering design on cad for ya hope you get the idea
the green and red are for the pivot axis. green are those with rod ends

steer2.jpg

steer.jpg

nice bloody cadding when i was doing that in school i struggled to do a outline of a house haha , this would of helped heeps when me and my mates were thinking of doing a kart lol , we didnt have a clue

far out 1fifty1wheel your definitely going out of your way to help me. Thanks alot. That looks bloody sweet as. Thats the idea we had for steering but now you just helped us alot. Again thanks heaps mate. Cheers

no worries, i have't used cad for a while and have a few things i need to do, i just used this as a practise run.

this is about the simplest form of steering you can have. you can also (for bigger carts & buggies,) use a shortened rack from a car.

have the hole on each of the outer links slightly inwards of the pivot point, this helps with the ackerman angle. without a huge formula it won't be spot on but better than not having one

Latest posts

Back