got fuel, spark & comp but wont start

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinetySix

Reaction score
:mad:

the bike was playing up a bit yesterday, misfiring/spluttering in the top end then it just wouldnt ride at all...

put a new plug in it this arvo and pulled the carby off, pulled heaps of fake carbon fibre out of it (was in the main jet, the float valve, the bowl) and then she started straight away... took her for a ride and it only lasted about a minute...

got her home and pulled the sprocket cover off, the stator's screws had come loose and it was rattling around in there :eek: screwed it back on and checked for spark... yep its got spark, compression and lotsa fuel when i open the bowl drain, but she just wont fire... not at all, nothing!

any ideas?

yeh i think powerman is rite,
is there water coming out of the bowl with the fuel?

do you have an inner rotor kit mate? cause if the inner rotor flywheel is scratched/damaged... that will happen..i have the same problem..currently looking for an inner rotor flywheel

yes i do have a IRK, and it didnt really seem to help performance at all, made it worse if anything.... and the rotor is very scratched :( but still getting spark.... i fucked the stock rotor getting it off too :(

maybe time for a lifan 140cc???? anybody know if the dhz ~$300 motors will fit a alloy-style frame pitpro outlaw?

Last edited:
I'd say you have still got shit in your carby. Could be that the idle jet is blocked. Clean it right out and drain and flush the tank.

carb still looks good, its just not firing at the right time.. can smell fuel comming out the exhaust, just not getting lit... normally i can start the bike with wide open throttle when its flooded but even thats not happening so that rules out the idle circuit. but with the plug out i can see plenty of spark. there were a lot of metal shavings behind the sprocket cover when i found the stator hanging loose in there

going to need a new IRK i guess :( $82 down the drain. make sure the screws are tight people! loctite!...

I agree with mack. Usually only one thing goes wrong at at a time to stop your engine. If you got crap in your carby it had to come from somewhere and there is probably more where it came from.

it was still running (just) with all the crap in the carby and only lasted 60 seconds after cleaning it out before comming to a complete hault with the stator rattling around

i might try and get a timing light onto it, see where its firing before i buy a new irk. tempted to go back to the stock rotor

It is possible you have damaged the rotor if you found it loose and with shavings, but the fact your still getting strong spark means that if it had fuel, it should backfire at least. I still think its fuel.

there is shitloads of fuel smell comming out the exhaust, and when i unscrewed the ignition pickup and moved it to a slightly different position on the rotor it was starting to fire a little bit but not running.

well its either new IRK (~$100) or new 140cc (~$350) ... to be honest i didnt like the way the IRK made the motor feel while it worked, so i think its new motor time ;)

yeh as i suspected , you can go through everything that is involved with getting your bike running and it comes down to ignition timing, so yeh

what motor did you put this IRK on ?

It is possible you have damaged the rotor if you found it loose and with shavings, but the fact your still getting strong spark means that if it had fuel, it should backfire at least. I still think its fuel.

what the hell.. yeh.. the fuel is causing no fire ? i think not , it would be the irk not delivering the spark at the right time , and when it does fire it slowly from the right spot moves and then turns off.

also with the IRK you will notice good throttle performance but if you have it too retarded performance will be lost (i have mine set to about 17 - 19 degrees) and you go get slight kickback but i push with my hand on the kick starter till it slides past the heavy kick and kick the bike over in mid stroke.

i have to agree with mack though, it sounds like you still have crap in your carby. what could possibly be happening (happened to mine) the fuel like dried up and degraded inside and rubber chunks were dropping into the carby blocking up my jets. make sure your fuel line isnt degrading and double check your carby. 10 min job and it cant make the situation any worse.

let us know how you get i going.

Cheers, Tony.

i cleaned the carby to absolutely spotless condition, used carby cleaner and compressed air and just made sure everything was working, float needle was ok, float height was good, needle not worn etc etc... then it only ran for another 60 seconds till the stator fell off. fuel lines are good, replaced them with decent hose

the motor is a lifan 124cc as fitted to a pitpro outlaw. not start in any gear and N1234 shift pattern. who wants to buy it, just needs an IRK? ;)

yeah it's deffinatly the inner rotor, i'm 100% sure as i'm having the same problem as we speak, i hope i helped in some way

yeh LOL , i have to agree.. Ninetysix was getting a huge smell of fuel in the exhaust pipe, highly doubt it was ever the carby, id say with all the shaving , scratching with the IRK it has affected it, thus timing is out..?

just to confirm put ya old stator on and see if it kicks ova

hah, i fucked the stock rotor pretty bad with my home made flywheel puller ;)

lifan 140 with the stock rotor is the go

Latest posts

Back