Guns

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingers

Reaction score
Dont know if anybody on here will be able to give any advice on this matter but i'll try anyway.

Well i've sent off my gun license form about 2 weeks ago so i should be getting the license back in the mail in a week or two, so now what im wondering is what type of gun to get. Im doubt i'll be using the gun to actually hunt anything im more in it for the target side of it, but there may be and odd ocassion i might go and hunt but i doubt it, now im not really to sure what to get, a .22, .222 or a .223. Does anyone know the main differenence between a .222 and a .223? I think its just the tip of the bullet? and they are phasing the .222 out now?

any one know the effective ranges of these three guns? and also the loudness between them? obviously the .22 will be quieter than the .222 and .223, if fitted with a muzzle brake will this make a .223 or a .222 quieter? and will this effect the accuracy of the guns?

which one would someone reccomend for a person with a small amount of shooting experiance?

also looking to be able to shoot round the 250 meter mark at targets

Have you been to a shooting range before? They are always willing to help and advise newcomers to the sport.

22 will be no good to ya, go the 222 or 223 if you wanna shoot at the 250mtr mark accurately, and ya a silencer will shave some power outa ya gun but not by much

222 or 223 22 is kinda more of a just shoot for fun like shoot tree targets and stuff like that
but 222 or 223 can still be a fun gun but can also be a serious gun but u will lose a bit of power with the silencer muzzle thing but on a mate of mynes farm they got a 22 its kinda crappy it barely hits a 50metre acurately target we just set up wood boards on the trees and shoot them
the paintball guns are more fun than the 22 in my opinion

awesome guess the .22 is out of it then, anyone know the difference between the .223 and .222? And also which is the more readily available?? I thought they were trying to get rid of .222?

NO NO NO! me and my father went thorugh this same problems 4 or 5 yrs ago.
we found after a lot of reseaerch not to bother with the 223. if you want want a good all round rifle, go the 22-250. its a great all round caliber because you can make some strong loads using 50gr, 55gr or 60gr projectiles for pigs, goats, and pigs to about 300-400 metres OR you can make some light loads using 40gr, 45gr and 50gr for your rabbits, hares and foxes.my father and i purchased a sako 75 heavy barrel varmit w/ a leopold vx3 24 powered scope. this is by far my favourite out of the smaller centerfire's. my father late last year chest shot a hare at 760yrds with the sako 22-250under a spotlight! thats how accurate this caliber is. it shoots very flat which is perfect for varmit shooting and target shooting. i have seen multiple times a man using a 22-250 at 500 yrds win fly shooting compitions.
i have also dropped a medium sized pig at 250yrds+ before and have shot goats at 300Yrds+ with ease. also if your looking at a 22 have a look at the 17hmr we have one in a cz and its a fantastic gun for rabbits foxes and hares. ;) this is a pic of what my 22-250 did to a fox at 479yrds
000_0147.jpg
[/IMG]

all i can say is before you by a gun research all your options and also think of what your going to be shooting now and in the future, where you'll be shooting now and in the future and shop around.:D :)

i hope i have helped you a bit. good luck dont forget to send us a pic or two

NO NO NO! me and my father went thorugh this same problems 4 or 5 yrs ago.
we found after a lot of reseaerch not to bother with the 223. if you want want a good all round rifle, go the 22-250. its a great all round caliber because you can make some strong loads using 50gr, 55gr or 60gr projectiles for pigs, goats, and pigs to about 300-400 metres OR you can make some light loads using 40gr, 45gr and 50gr for your rabbits, hares and foxes.my father and i purchased a sako 75 heavy barrel varmit w/ a leopold vx3 24 powered scope. this is by far my favourite out of the smaller centerfire's. my father late last year chest shot a hare at 760yrds with the sako 22-250under a spotlight! thats how accurate this caliber is. it shoots very flat which is perfect for varmit shooting and target shooting. i have seen multiple times a man using a 22-250 at 500 yrds win fly shooting compitions.
i have also dropped a medium sized pig at 250yrds+ before and have shot goats at 300Yrds+ with ease. also if your looking at a 22 have a look at the 17hmr we have one in a cz and its a fantastic gun for rabbits foxes and hares. ;) this is a pic of what my 22-250 did to a fox at 479yrds
000_0147.jpg
[/IMG]

all i can say is before you by a gun research all your options and also think of what your going to be shooting now and in the future, where you'll be shooting now and in the future and shop around.:D :)

i hope i have helped you a bit. good luck dont forget to send us a pic or two

were is the fun in killing a live animal

awesome guess the .22 is out of it then, anyone know the difference between the .223 and .222? And also which is the more readily available?? I thought they were trying to get rid of .222?

It's just cailbre as far as I'm aware. The only real diffference you will know is in your pocket when you buy the bullets!! Heaps more expensive for 223 than222. Stuff all diffrence between the 2 in my opinion. Make sure you get a bipod with it as well.

shooting animals is a thing that i dont think i could do,its just pure F*****G cruelty.

i bet it would be fun shooting and trying to get an animal while its on the run,yeh ill agree that it would be fun but i just dont think i could kill a "LIVING" thing for the sake of 2 seconds of fun???

unless somthing killed my dog or somthing like that then i would shot em or if some one hurt a family member etc etc etc ,then im pretty sure i could shoot up some "ASS'S"

hey man im not having a go BUT.
do you eat meat?
if you do think about this.
when your eating meat its been most likely by a bolt to the head. this has the same affect as shooting some thing. hunters often take the animal they have just killed home and eat it. also. when you kill some thing and prepare it to be eatable your actaully being more conservative. because when companys kill cows, sheep etc. they only take that best parts of the animal and often ( not always) throw away bad parts. hunters when preparing the animal will get as much meat as possible of the animal before disgarding the carcass. people kill foxes why? becuase there pests killing native animals and live stock.this is why farmers will hunt pests or they allow people to come and hunt them. if it wasnt for people hunting/shooting the farming industrie would be f***ed. look at these viruses that they using to try and kill pests. they give the viruses to the pests, they die, another animal comes and eats it, they get the virus, then they die, so on so forth. it may not sound like it but hunting is a more humane way of killing pests that kill native animals
a fox kills alot of sheep every year and theres alot of foxes soooo that means alot of sheep will be killed also. same with rabbits and hares but they eat crop and dig holes all over the place.
hunters have to guide by strict rules as to where and what they can hunt. its the same thing as fishing. when you think about it fishing is actually worse. you catch a fish, pull it out of the water, leave it on the bank/jetty.etc, it cant breath, this causes pain to the animal. with hunting 90% of the time the animal is killed first shot, causing no pain or very little. if you dont kill it first time, its most likely going to be in pain but not for long because it most likely wont be moving there for another shot will be fired killing it and if you shoot an animal and it runs away theres still a fair chance it will live and the wound will heal if not its going to live long. i no it sounds horrible or cruel but hunters are helping the enviroment. by killing pests giving native animals and smaller animals a chance at life.

Last edited:
^^^^^mate you summed that up very well......ya i live on 50 acres and i get heaps of hares, rabbits, native hens, possums and wallaby all of which are pest's on my property so i hunt them. I also have ducks and swans and parrots but i leave them alone as they don't do me or my property any harm

^^^^^mate you summed that up very well......ya i live on 50 acres and i get heaps of hares, rabbits, native hens, possums and wallaby all of which are pest's on my property so i hunt them. I also have ducks and swans and parrots but i leave them alone as they don't do me or my property any harm

thanks roost:) just trying to make it easier for people to understand why we do it.

mmmm wish the misus would read this lol she hate's it when i go out for a shot:D

Dont know if anybody on here will be able to give any advice on this matter but i'll try anyway.

Well i've sent off my gun license form about 2 weeks ago so i should be getting the license back in the mail in a week or two, so now what im wondering is what type of gun to get. Im doubt i'll be using the gun to actually hunt anything im more in it for the target side of it, but there may be and odd ocassion i might go and hunt but i doubt it, now im not really to sure what to get, a .22, .222 or a .223. Does anyone know the main differenence between a .222 and a .223? I think its just the tip of the bullet? and they are phasing the .222 out now?

any one know the effective ranges of these three guns? and also the loudness between them? obviously the .22 will be quieter than the .222 and .223, if fitted with a muzzle brake will this make a .223 or a .222 quieter? and will this effect the accuracy of the guns?

which one would someone reccomend for a person with a small amount of shooting experiance?

also looking to be able to shoot round the 250 meter mark at targets
sorry i left some thing out, with such a small caliber its not practical to add a muzzle break because it will actually make the gun louder. it just one of those options you have to think about. the muzzle break will make it louder but it will reduce the recoil. i dont hink its practical because thers not alot of recoil when shooting 222 and 223's.
if you didnt know all a muzzle break does is reduce recoil by forcing the gas's from the burning powder out the holes making the pressure come out in different directions other than straight out of the hole at the end. if you think i may be able to help you feel free to pm me.

i ment compared to the 22,

ohh lol yer its kkinda when you think of i that way ey. but sit a 22 next to a 700 nitro. see whos the beast then bahahaha get it coz its a 700nitro, and it would break ya color bone in one shot. haha
and they shoot like 600gr bullets

Latest posts

Back