has anybody had an Ignition Coil failure in the wet? or any conditions?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue_Smartie

Reaction score
Hey Guys
Just wondering any anybody has every had an ignition coil fail on their mini dirt bikes?
I have a 150cc Dirt Bike and the coil shat itself when i was riding out in the rain a couple of weeks back, going through knee deep puddles n stuff. Had to push the heavy bastard up a slippery muddy hill, took 15minutes n 3 blokes to do it! haha. Anyway
I took the coil off my mates thumpster style chinese bike thing, and my bike runs fine with it, i can get these coils at a decent price off ebay, but i dont want to have another one fail on me at a bad time, my bike gets thrashed and ridden in the worst conditions, but the original coil lasted 2 years which is pretty good for a chinese bike i suppose with the abuse the bike gets.
So the bottom line is, has anyone every had one stuff up? if so in what conditions, its just if there is more than a handful of failures i'd rather spend the money and buy a yamaha one or something.
Also does anybody have any tips for keeping things in a more waterproof place? My Coil/CDI is under the fuel tank at the moment just above the head of the engine, and also heat rises and heat isn't goood for electrics, and i cant afford a cdi to fail me, they're fucking expensive for this bike! So whats the best place to keep electrics?
Cheers
Chris
Blue_Smartie

i dont see how water could get into your coil they are water tight? water can get into the wires/plugs very easy its common for coils to go bad but u have to make sure its nothing else its also a good idea to wash your bike very well after each ride and before the water drys spray the motor and all electricals including wires with WD-40 and u wont need to move any of the electric's

The rubber seals around the spark plug lead on the coil end had perished away, letting water seep in, its pretty rooted, i've tryed re-earthing and everything and even a new lead but nothing works, the bike runs at idle speed for about 3-4secs then dies, with a new coil its fine.
Yer i think i will just stick with your idea hey, saves me re-wiring everything, although i would like to rid the bike of electric start i'll see howi go.
Cheers
Chris

have u tryed cutting off 10mm of the spark plug lead at a time? i would replace the spark plug cap and make sure u zip tie the spark plug cap to the wire test that than take it from there

Latest posts

Back