Head Temp

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cranga

Reaction score
Anyone been keeping track of their head temp? I was interested in finding out if my motors overheating. Cheers.

yeh im interested in temp range aswell,i switch my fuel off and let it idle for a good 2 minutes after a long day of riding, just to get fuel out of lines,dunno how hott she was certainly too hot to touch

As my knowledge is more on car engines, can anyone enlighten us all on what can be considered hot for an aircooled engine like ours?

I suppose one way to be able to check is to direct an infrared pyrometer gun into the head, is it? How else can there be to check?

Also, I fail to see how idling the engine for 2 minutes or so can cool down the engine. On the contrary, without air blowing through the engine while in motion, I expect temps to go higher, would it?

I don't think Lo-cou was refering to 2mins to cool down.... just to remove fuel from the lines before storage.

I do the same for mine as well(switch off fuel) and take it easy before stopping then give it 30 secs or so to cool down.

2mins would see it heat up.

it all depends on your riding style as long as u have air passing over the fins the motor will stay cool as for leaving it running for a few minutes after a days riding to empty the fuel lines ur nuts! :p theres no air passing over the motor and as the fuel burns ur running the motor more lean causing the motor to run really hot just before u turn it off keep on doing it you'll be coming close to a seized piston rings if u want to empty the remaning fuel in the hose/bowl turn the petcock off than unscrew the screw in the bottom of the carby bowl to release the fuel any left over fuel will evaprate

just do as mentioned thru the bottom of carby then pour it back into tank if your a tight ass like crazy #1

but on topic. My aircooled car shouldnt get above 250c so ide imagine it would be about the same for these bikes.

ill get my thermocouple onto my engine when i get it going.

cheers

To answer redstars question weather or not there was another way to find out your head temp with out using a heat gun, well you can get these little stickers that change colour and show the temp in little boxs. i saw them on a site the other night (i think it was a mini related site but i just cant remember) you stick them on your head ( after you take the panadol cranga......sorry ) they are like the ones you see on fish tanks

saw them on ebay last nite, look pretty good... wonder what his sales figures are like..

Anyone been keeping track of their head temp? I was interested in finding out if my motors overheating. Cheers.

I check mine with a IR heat gun every now and then... My head temps are normaly around 92 degrees, ive got a oil cooler on my 125 tho.

Mates motors are anywhere from 110-125 degrees

As my knowledge is more on car engines, can anyone enlighten us all on what can be considered hot for an aircooled engine like ours?

I suppose one way to be able to check is to direct an infrared pyrometer gun into the head, is it? How else can there be to check?

Also, I fail to see how idling the engine for 2 minutes or so can cool down the engine. On the contrary, without air blowing through the engine while in motion, I expect temps to go higher, would it?

I've seen my mates motor at 165 degrees, The next day it wasn't a very happy motor and he ended up buying a new motor the next week.

As i posted above.. upto 125 degrees is pretty common and i know ive had mine hotter than 125 because oil was boiling out the case breather. But didn't have my heat gun handy.

whoa they are running very cool. Were you measuring the top of the head?

Thats the cam shaft cover and so the temps would be closer to your oil temperature.

Try measuring s close to the combustion chamber as possible, ide imagine it would be a little higher than 100oC if not these engines should run forever!

Cheers eichkay! only took about ten replies and finaly got an answer:p The ducar i had used to sit around 120 - 135. A bit hot..

anuther way to empty fuel is turn the fuel tap off then cruiz around for about a min and wieght till stalls then she's pretty dry- and you get the air flowing past

Latest posts

Back