Help!! Motovert Pro Blowing Smoke & Oil

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkee

Reaction score
Hey guys.. new here

I just bought a 2007 Motovert Pro 140cc and its blowing loads of smoke and some oil is dripping and spitting from the exhaust... :(

What are your thoughts on this??

Could it be the rings??

Thanks in advance :D

okay cool... thanks for your replies... at least its good to know what the problem is i guess...

if i bought a new piston & ring kit... and gasket...

is it easy to do myself?? I have never done it before but i have a mate with all the tools and his dad is an ex car mechanic if that helps lol

i was just reading the sticky of the tutorial on how to pull down the head & cylinder... I am just worried about the timing when i put it all back together...

is there any tutorials with pictures/ videos on how to do this properly?? as i don't know what everything is called so i get confused when reading text tutorials haha

better yet... I was quoted $300 for parts & labor to get it done... is this expensive? or does anyone know anyone that can do it for me for cheap?? i live on the Gold Coast, QLD

Thanks heaps :)

ripping down the cylinder will take you roughly an hour.

timing while being important, is easy to reset... easiest way is to mark the chain where the dot on the sprocket is, before you tear it all apart. then theres no worries with fiddling around checking on reassembly...just a dash of whiteout will do:)...make sure you dont drop the chain into the case so it stays lined up on the crank sprocket....

though it still pays to check it afterwards anyway...

only thing that your mates dad mightnt have is a cylinder hone thats small enough for a bike cylinder... and they cost about 80... though a well equipped bike shop should do it for you for $5... takes only a few seconds. and has to be done.

double check the piston size before buying it... measured at right angles to the wrist pin.

then, if you want to spend 300 on someone to do it...up to you...but its best to learn how to do it yourself:)

only thing that your mates dad mightnt have is a cylinder hone thats small enough for a bike cylinder... and they cost about 80... though a well equipped bike shop should do it for you for $5... takes only a few seconds. and has to be done.

okay so this is something that i don't know what you mean... what is a cylinder hone and whats it do?? sorry lol

double check the piston size before buying it... measured at right angles to the wrist pin.

Is there anyway to know what size it is before i pull the engine down so that i can get all the parts i need and put it all back together at once?

also is there any good brands or better parts that will make the bike perform better/ last longer that i can put in while its all open?? (ie. better piston, rings or other parts?) because id rather spend a bit more money now then have to spend more later on if you know what i mean

then, if you want to spend 300 on someone to do it...up to you...but its best to learn how to do it yourself:)

thats exactly right... id love to learn all this :D

your mates dad will know what a hone is... basically three grindstones on springs that you put in a drill, and they leave hashmarks/crisscrosses in the bore of your cylinder, that hold oil and let the rings bed in properly. theres ones for brake cylinders, tiny, bike cylinders, medium, and car cylinders...big. and really huge ones for ship engines....(and remember, this is assuming you dont have to get the cylinder bored out from being too worn, which might be possible)

um, if its a lifan 140, ip55fmj, it should be a 55.5mm piston...not too sure on that, but i believe thats what it is.(i only just got two, and havent stripped them yet) if you want to search the forums, right click the tab and open in new window...:)
then you can get the piston from ebay, etc...(easy and quick, usually listed by engine theyre for...DHZ is best) or go the whole hog and order one from akunar... akunar also has hi compression pistons available... worth putting one in really... but postage is the killer:(...and youll need the piston out to measure it.(once again, other threads should help)

and learning is the way to go:) then you can savour the thrill of all your mates wanting you to work on their bikes......:rolleyes:

all this said and done, it might just be the head gasket...it might be a leaking valve stem seal... joys of engines...

Last edited:
Ive put a few pics up underneath... but if i get some better pics tomorrow do you think either you or anyone else on here could help me find out what i have and what rings/ piston i need??

I had a look on that akunar website but couldn't find any 55.5mm pistons...

Then i looked on ebay and came across these...

Will this just bolt straight on?? and will it be shitter then what i already have on there?? cause this one looks crappy...
NEW 150CC TB BIG BORE KIT FITS LIFAN 140CC, 15MM PIN - eBay Other Makes, Bike Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 06-Jun-09 19:29:00 AEST)

I also found this... its a whole new motor and looks simular if not the same as the one i already have... what do you think of this??
NEW OUTLAW 140CC LIFAN OIL COOLED ENGINE, 1P55FMJ - eBay Other Makes, Bike Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 11-Jun-09 20:11:45 AEST)

Here are a few pics i have of the bike... Ill get more tomorrow

MotovertPro1.jpg

MotovertPro2.jpg

MotovertPro3.jpg

Latest posts

Back