help oil cooler question

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Possum

Reaction score
*********help oil cooler question*********

help needed im trying to work out the best way to run an aftermarket oil cooler. i have a modifyed yx gpx160 i use for motard stock oil pump. I have one of the $99 from supercheap its a autotrans cooler with inlet and out let on the top (or bottom)what eva way ya holding it. the problem im faced with is if i run it with the oil lines faceing down the cooler will not fill and have a large air pocket in the top as the oil will start to fill and run across and out not reaching the top of the cooler before exiting so when the bike is leaning over it mite end up with air gaps feeding the crank etc and when not running the cooler will empty?. If the cooler has the lines faceing up the oil will drop into the bottom and will fill from the bottom pushing the air to the top removing the majority of air (leaning the bike to the side will help more air escape) and when the engine stops the cooler should remain full so i believe the best way is have the inlet and outlet facing up?:confused: inlet and out let are 3/8" but 5/16" lines fit (i will be useing 5/16"). There is a pic of the motarders at archerfield (night raceing i think) the bike in the middle has the same looking cooler with lines faceing down (anthony 13?) has anyone else played with coolers?

Last edited:
Hi Possum
Yea that’s my sons bike (#13) I setup the cooler on it and I debated much the same issue what way to orientate the cooler for the same reason. I ended up putting it on with the inlet/outlet to the bottom I believe that the cooler fills without any problems, this bike has run this way for quite sometime without any noticeable problems that would be associated with oil starvation, I have striped the motor several times during this time for upgrades and inspections. The way I connected the cooler was to use the banjo fittings from an original cooler, I just cut the crimped on part that goes over the original lines off with a hack saw and then used hose clamps to secure the new line to the original banjo. The lines for the cooler are a larger diameter than the original lines so I used two clamps per fitting to assist/ensure a good oil tight seal.
The reason I put the cooler on with the lines to the bottom was the issue of it accumulating sludge in the bottom over time and the possibility of this having adverse affects and neatness of running the lines
hope this helps

Tina

we just run the standard 1 litre as the cooler doesnt actualy hold that much. the oil pump is standard and seems to work no probs

Tina

Latest posts

Back