Help With Chosing A Big Bike

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twisties

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm hoping to upgrade to a new big bike this year and I'm having a lot of trouble deciding what to get due to my height.

I'm 5'4", 65kg and 23 years old so I don't expect to be having any more growth spurts :cheeky-smiley-031:
I sat on a yz85 big wheel yesterday and in terms of height it felt perfect, very comfortable and I could flat foot it, however I am worried that I'll outgrow the bike too soon (in terms of its power).

I was hoping to get on a 125 and maybe shave the seat and get a lowering link but I feel like maybe I'd just be better off sticking to a 85 to save the stuffing around. Also I don't know if the 125 will be too much for me to handle considering I won't be able to touch the ground? I'd say I'm an intermediate rider and currently ride a dhz 160 which I feel pretty confident on. I've ridden a 2t 250 before and the power didn't really scare me but I was riding pretty calm and I don't think I got past 2nd gear. My main issue was not being able to touch the ground..

So my question is this:

1. Will the 85 keep me, an intermediate rider, happy for a year or two? I don't want to have to upgrade for at least another year.

2. If you had to pick between an 85 and a crf150rb what would you pick? I thought the 150 might be better as I wouldn't have to keep it in powerband making it a bit easier to ride.

...or should I just forget about those bikes and get a 125 keeping in mind I am only 5'4"??

I'm really confused so any input would be great :)

Last edited:
An 85 should have enough power to keep you happy but in saying that a 125 would be perfect.
I have a couple of mates around your height 5ft2-5ft5 and they ride yz125s, they generally have to lean on something to stop or slop off one side of the seat.

first full size i rode was a jacked up off its nut cr125 when i was 14 and 5ft5 and loved it, never even phased me with slopping off one side to stop(seemed normal after 1st ride)

as for crf150 vs yz85 it depends if you prefer 4t or 2smoke. they have very diferent power delivery as you already know, best thing for you to do is go test ride a few different bikes i.e. crf150, yz85, yz125 and see what you feel more comfortable on

Personally i love my 2smokes and cant wait till i can afford to get another yz250, im addicted to the smell of burning oil and the high-pitch exhaust sound

yz85 would always be fun will but you will be able to ride it to its full extent after about a year I would say, have you checked out the klx140? I think that would be better then the 150, otherwise there are also other options, the ttr230 has a fair amount of power and you should be able to stand on the end of your toes with this bike. THere is also the xt250 but more of a road bike.

If you were to go a 125 I'd recommend not going the Yamaha or ktm as they are the biggest bikes at 997mm seat height.
Rm125 is around 955mm seat height.
85 big wheel bike be alright with maybe a stiffer rear spring
If you get bored of the power you could big bore it to a supermini. (110cc) look up superminis class at monster energy cup.
think a 125 would be the better bike

Last edited:
I think the 125 would be perfect for you, they around 33hp, enough power that you will hardly ever get bored of it, plus they quite chuckable, only weighing around 94kg. If you really think its to big for you, you can go to almost any motorbike shop and get them to professionally shorten the rear shock and front fork, normally just by changing the internals of the suspension, this most likely will make the handling alittle worse but at least you will be more confident on the bike and be able to control the bike easier.

In terms of crf150r vs the 85's the crf is a bit faster straight off the bat (not much in it at all), and has more usable power across the rev range, but the 85's do have more potential for outright power, but you have to be a fairly skilled rider to ride a two stroke to its limit, as you need to chop down gears, and have excellent clutch control to keep the bike on the boil. Four strokes as you no are a lot more forgiving, but some may argue the predictability and lack of punchy torque curve makes for a less fun bike. So think about what you want, if you hitting trails and stuff, maybe go the crf they got lots of usable torque and won't tire you out, if you want to just have loads of fun, and improve your riding skills, get a two smoke, they cheap, reliable, easy as to work on, and will in the long run save you money. But weather you go a crf, 85 or 125 it's going to keep you happy, they are all great bikes.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your informative replies everyone!! Seriously I've never had such helpful answers in a forum before :)
I'm still a bit undecided but I think I will try and find a 125 and get it lowered as they are almost the same price as the 85 big wheels and I know I won't feel the need to upgrade for some time.

If anyone has an more info I'm all ears :) Especially any shorter riders who have been down this path before :)
Thanks again!

here's a couple videos of the superminis
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Qm3gEDGhEfs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yusQGkv_qk8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zjkjf-yTRbY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
so they do go pretty hard if your worried about getting bored of the 85
adams bike is built by pro circuit but you could buy the kit for sure, only other things would be the pipe, carby tuned, ported, and few other things aswell as suspention tuned for his weight.
i know ktm used to sell the 105sx complete.
was looking at an rm125 afew years ago when i was 13-15 and felt like it wasn't to big or anything not sure how tall i was then.
just had a look at some 125s and
Suzuki RM125 Seat Height: 960mm

Yamaha Yz125 Seat Height: 998.2mm

Kawasaki KX125 Seat Height: 945 mm

KTM 125sx Seat Height: 985 mm

Last edited:
im gonna stray from the bunch and say get a 250. and at that, get a 250F. the power is smoother and easier to ride all day long. you can get short seats and lowering links of your worried about height. I got little legs, and cant touch the ground on both feet, had no troubles handling 125s, 250s and 450s. remember you only put your feet down when you stop.

if your still thinking bout a crf150 then you should look at the klx140, there is only 5cc difference in engine size and the klx is lighter, plus you should be able to stand foot, I don't know how it will compare to a 125 power wise but can't think it should be to different and the power band will be much smoother.

nah you'll get bored of the klx140, there no where near the 150r or 125 2 stroke in power
there just a farm/fun bike
i reckon a lowered 125 or 250f will be perfect

Love a 2 banger personally, but the constant usable all round power of a 250f is personal pleasure.

My cousin has a KLX140, near band new (still in the FS thread) and as harry stated in a previous post they are a farm bike, my wifes 125 nitrous keeps up with it....easily, so no i wouldn't bother, personally i would go the 250 2smoke but hey, as far as i'm concerned you can never have enough power :) However as far as your height goes i'd reccomend the 250F.

yeah grow a pair ad go the 250f you wont regret it

and you can lower them and not suffer to much with handeling

ill give my advice, you can have fun on an 85 for A couple of rides... then on a 125 you'll have fun but you will want more bottom end power.

my advice is 250 2 smoker, rm250 2 stroke is what you need i was 13 when i got my 2008 rm250 and i loved it i was 5'3-5'4 and i was fine on it i just had to learn how to start it properly.

do not get an 85 you will get bored, not being a smart ass i just know you will, a little bit a hight wont hurt, now im 14 5'5 riding a crf450r and loving it.
you wont regret the 250 smoker, its light, easy to start, all the power you need, cheap and fun to ride.

rm250 with softer suspension and tiny bit shaves seat will do you good.

from personal experiance

250f or 250 2 stroke all day.. little bikes suck :) unless they have 10" wheels

Latest posts

Back