how a four stroke engine works

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ducar.r.spec

Reaction score
although this is not the same as our engines they are ver similar
this is a double overhead cam engine(DOHC)
whereas ours is a single overhead cam engine(SOHC)
the spark plug on this engine is centered whereas ours is offside
4-Stroke-Engine1.gif

Last edited:
yeah i new how the back pressure idea works but the intake side of things seems silly but who am i to argue it works good ha
does it actually suck air fuel vapor into the crank case as show above or what

good way to remember the 4 stroke cycle is

Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow

Just dont ask your lady friend to do that on the first date :p

Last edited:
yup it does
heres some info on cams
Single overhead cam:
(SOHC) The camshaft is located between the valves and is driven by a chain or belt from the crankshaft; the valves are normally opened by short rocker arms.

(OHC) The camshaft that activates the valves is mounted above the head and driven by a long timing chain or cam chain. In contrast, a pushrod engine has the camshaft below the cylinders so that thin rods (pushrods) are moved by the camshaft and activate the valves. An engine with an overhead cam means that the distance between the cam and the valves is much shorter, so the valves respond quicker and valve adjustment can be more accurate. Also this system allows for higher engine speed because of fewer moving valvetrain parts. A system with only one cam is called "Single Overhead Cam" (SOHC). In some instances there are two camshafts above the heads (one for the intake valves and the other for the exhaust) and called "double overhead cam" (DOHC).

and some on valves
Overhead valves:
(OHV) Valves located in the head. A four-stroke engine with the intake and exhaust poppet valves located in the cylinder head and not at the side of the cylinder as in a side-valve engine. The valve stems are either at an angle or parallel and the valve discs face the piston, valve actuation pushrod and swing arm.

i think it was pretty obvious i didnt write this i got most of it from wikipedia

Latest posts

Back