how often should i spray air filter oil on?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitbikepip

Reaction score
just wondering how often i should spray air filter oil on the air filter?

cheers

id say every ride but you can do it about every third depends on how muddy/dusty the conditions are

if you spray it every ride without ever cleaning of the old oil ull block up your filter and restrict air flow,was it probably every 2-3 ride depending on how dirty it is,wait for it to dry then put oil on it.

never oil a air filter with out cleaning it i wouldn't believe that people would do that but anyway i use petrol to clean them than re oil it after its dry

Mineral Turps and dont use a spray filter oil, thats what i read in a mag ive got :) they say petrol is bad cause it deteriorates the air filter gradually letting more crap in :)

mineral turps it wont eat the foam
chuck a bit in a bucket and squish it
rinse with a bit of water
let it dry and through some oil on it

they say the spray on oil is no good but the oil itself is ok it's the propelant that they use in the cans isn't so good

do it regulary

turps or petrol there both going to eat it a lil but i used petrol for a whole year and it never did anything and i would never put water anywhere near my air filter

I wash mine with dishwashing detergent, and oil it with cooking oil and do it before every ride.

petrol and turps is are both going to slowly kill your filter,fuel actualy doesnt eat the glue it softens it and it also widens the foam bubbles alowing particles of dirt and dust to get through easier,turps is the same,befor cleaning scrap of any dirt lightly with your fingers,a spray on degreaser or waterd down liquid degreaser takes any oil of very easy,spray it from the inside of the filter so you push the dirt out(never wash in a bucket as that just mixes the dirt everywhere)after its clean i usualy stick all my filters in the washing machine with a small ammount of washing powder and on a rough cycle.just gets rid of anything you missed and it also dried it descent,then hang it out to dry,spray on oil is fine just use a good quality one,and dont spray it to close,spray the inside and outside of the filter

why wouldnt ya put water anywhere near the filter?
what do you think an air filter does? it filters out all the crap that would just go straight into your engine if it wasn't there, and considering it's called an "air filter" i'm pretty sure that only air is meant to go in it. in other words if you get water in your air filter or put it back on wet it is going to go straight into your engine

turps wont eat your foam filter as quick as petrol hence the rinse with water thing it stops the reaction between the petrol and the foam
if you read the little instruction sheet that you get with your unifilter from memory it says to use mineral turps and not petrol

later

What about kerosene? i've used that before and that works really well, only thing is that it leaves you smelling like it until you shower lol

What about kerosene? i've used that before and that works really well, only thing is that it leaves you smelling like it until you shower lol
that's what i got told to use aswell as turps when i bought my bike.

My K&N Air Filter is water proof apparently havnt tested it but the water should slide of the surface.

Just to let some you guys know that i will do a review when i get the chance on the K&N Air Filter as alot of people have messaged me asking me about it.

Latest posts

Back