How often to change oil?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During run in i changed after first 30 of use, then 1 hr after that then 2 after that. Now i change every couple of rides. It depends on your engine, if your rings are shot (exhaust a bit smokey) your oil will become contaminated pretty quick and not good for your engine. These bikes also dont have effective oil filters so you wana make sure you get any crap that might get in there out asap. Just change your oil a few times, say change are 4hrs use, if the oil looks really crappy (black or super dark brown brown and not transparent) then change it a bit earlier next time. If it didnt look too bad (still pretty clear, or brown) leave it for a little longer. It also depends on the oil you use, how frequently you start from cold etc etc. A bike ridden 4 hrs straight probably wouldnt need a oil change as the engine is warm and rings seal the chamber more completely letting less combustion gases 'blow by' the rings contaminating the oil. A bike started cold after only 10 mins of use, 24 times (4 hrs) would be in more need of an oil change...

On the topic of ring seal, for anyone who's interested check this argument if you havn't already.

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Budding engine builders should sign up (even a fake email will do if your the non-sign up type) for an interesting read of the rest of the site.

i didnt think it would need to be done that often, $10 on oil every couple of rides, is this the same for REAL bikes as well or just the chinese engines?

ive only ever had 2stroke bikes, this is my first 4stroke. You may find with your bike you will be able to extend oil life period depending on ring seal, compressing etc etc. But fresh oil will keep your engine happy.

Most "REAL" 4stroke bikes should have pretty effective oil filters like the one u find in your car so oil life is extended.

crf450 and most big race 4 strokes you should change every ride if you want it to last and i know with crf450 thats two lots of oil 1. engine 2. gearbox. The more often you change the longer the engine life

haha. Man you "should" change every ride. Ive been lazy lately... done about 20hrs with no oil change. I cant really justify changing oil every ride when your paying $10/L...

hey 500cc2strokeminibike watch the valves on crf450x mine needs valves very soon 8 months old and has been serviced and clearance checks done very regualy. The bike can not be used as a commuter. Don't get me wrong they are a great bike but need heaps of maintenance. I know this is a mini bike forum but had to warn you.

as far as i know inlet are titanium and exhaust are stainless steal , wr and yzf 450 have all titanium and 5 valves.

i heard that they fixed the valve problem in the 06' models, me mate has a crf250r and he has had that valve problem occur many times, but he has a 2004 model bike.
ive read a bike reveiw of 4 450cc trail bikes, gas gas, ktm, honda, yamaha.
crf450x is the most powerful by far and the wr is the least powerful. (i wanted a wr till i read that reveiw.)

Latest posts

Back