how to build a good moto ramp

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built one when I was 19 for my little brother on his KTM65sx.
I used RHS (square tube) for the bracing and L angle steel for the main frame.
I got the dimensions of the crusty demons ramps and scaled it down then drew it on paper.

I used an angle grinder to cut the side of the L steel then bent it to the desired angle at each interval then welded the cut closed. You can see from the image the welds on the side under the plywood. This took heaps of time and a packet of welding rods but I couldn’t bend this type of steel with a pipe bender due to its shape.

Despite the fact that it was a mini ramp I was able to get good distance and height on my CR250. I used rough surfaced 20mm plywood as the decking and fastened it down with cup head bolts. I also designed the ramp so that it split in half so I could move it around the place.

Dad was pissed off that I used all his steel and plywood but it was so worth it. I ended up selling it to a kid with a CR85 for $800!

Here are some photos:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

dam, thats huge for the size of the ramp did your brother hit in on the ktm at that gap? lol

I used this website’s ramp and dimensions as a base template. I just scaled it down pretty-much.

Rev1 - Rev1

Also I just found this

Freerider MX Magazine :: View topic - How to build a Ramp

My ramp was about 1.3 - 1.5m tall from memory. As you can see it’s a beginner’s ramp as there is not too much kick. I used to hit it in 3rd (not in power-band) on my CR. It gave a good amount of lift and height for a beginner. Sorry that I don’t have my original specs for the ramp  I hope the above websites help.

Id suggest you use 25 by 25 mm rhs, its plenty strong enough, thats what i use on my ramps, take 2 lengths of steel to any fabrication place and they will bend up a perfect radius for you, the last thing you want with your ramp is kinks in it, 9.1m radius is full size comp ramp which is a bit to mellow for a mini, you want something with a bit more pop, so id recommend 6-7m radius, the rest you can build yourself, a good tip is to build one side wall of your ramp first then use that as a template for the second wall, that way you will get an exact copy, then add your centre braces, make your ramp 1.2m wide so it will be nice and stable, then if all goes well you will have a very tidy even sqare stable ramp to play with, just take your time with it, double check everything and it will be all you imagined it would be, good luck with the build

weisel that ramp is strong as, its overengineered for sure, but you are better to be safe than on your arse, and how fast were you coming into it as mittz said thats a big gap for a smaller ramp

weisel that ramp is strong as, its overengineered for sure, but you are better to be safe than on your arse, and how fast were you coming into it as mittz said thats a big gap for a smaller ramp

When I finished it (even before the decking went on) each half was so heavy! I estimate 80-100kg for each half. Ha ha, it was an overkill for sure. The good thing about it though is that it didn’t move at all when jumping it. I reckon I could have flipped a 300kg quad off it and it would be solid as. As far as speed goes, I wasn’t going that quick, maby 35k max. I used to hit it in third gear before band kicked in. so id go up to it in band then back off then on the launch give it a bit of gass just to get some pop. I wish my brother would have jumped it! Imaging a 12yr old doing 30ft gaps!

Latest posts

Back