how to change a tyre/ tube?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atomik boy

Reaction score
hey guys,
the tube arrived in the post yesterday!!!
but we took the wheel off and now dad says he cant get it off (bullsh!t)
and he insists that we take it to a motorbike shop!!!
ok should i:
myself or dad do it
take it to a motorbike shop!!!
i live close to ipswich and could take a trip into brissy but dont want to spend heaps of moneys!
if u know how to take a tyre off please post some pics of how to do it!!!
thanks,
james

jesus christ, nearly everyone is still in bed mate, and you expect a tutorial and pics to be uploaded in under an hour since your first post?? good luck with that...

Now unless your dad has tyre levers, he will probably end up stabbing himself with the screwdriver he's using...
For starters, you need to take the valve stem out of the tube valve... which requires a valve stem removal tool... then you need to undo the nut holding the valve to the rim.
break the bead (where the tyre "sticks" to the rim) by standing on it...
Stand on one side of the tyre, so the bead slides in under the rim, and using TWO tyre levers, start levering the tyre off. stick two levers in between the bead and rim, and lever a section about 4-5 inches across, over the rim. wedge one lever under either the disc rotor or sprocket, depending on which way the tyre is laying on the ground. pull the second tyre lever out from between the bead and rim, and take a bite a little further around. you need to keep moving the second lever around the tyre until the bead is OUTSIDE the rim all the way round... pull tube out, put new one in, poke valve through valve hole, put valve nut on a couple of turns, pump a small amount of air into the tube, then pull the valve stem out.
putting the tyre back on the rim, just reverse the process with the tyre levers, or better still, a rubber mallet if you have one.. if not, go very carefully with the tyre levers, making sure you dont pinch the tube.
Once you've tried the above, and pinched the tube, thus requiring a new one, get your dad to take you into Ipswich, there's bound to be a tyre shop or mechanic in there...
costs maybe $15 to have a tube replaced in a bike wheel...
Unless you have valve stem tool, tyre levers and a rubber mallet, dont even attempt it, you'll just make a mess of it. :)

ps: be grateful your dad is willing to take you into a bike shop to have it done..

ok on sunday my auncle davis will teach me how to do it and also what is the valve stem tool? what does it look like?
anyways thump*140 you eaned a gold medal (i'm adding to your rep for all the help you offer to everyone!!!)
thanks auncle thump!!!!

all good mate, it's what i'm here for apparently. :)
the valve stem tool is kinda tricky to describe... it's like a little silver barrel about an inch and a half long, with a a little bar going through it. one end of the bar has a slot in it, the other end is pointy. the round barrel has threads in it for attaching to the valve...
basically this tool removes the valve stem from the valve...
sometimes your lucky, and the valve cap itself has a stem remover slot in it, but you dont see them all that often anymore...
trying to take the tyre off without taking the valve stem (sometimes called a valve core) is very tricky, and trying to get the tyre back on with it in, is even trickier...

yea cap usually has one, only lasts for a couple pulls but very handy.
I'd just take it to a bike shop for $15, putting the tire on without pinching the the tube is very tricky, unless the tire is soft and old you can put it on with no tools at all.

lol if u didnt know how to do it already you shouldnt even be doing this on the bike........

check out youtube if u want pics and vid, there for big bikes wheels but all the same but smaller

Atomikboy, I am at Logan Central. email me at [email protected] then I'll give you my details and come over ya boofhead and I'll show ya how to change ya flaming tyre. Struth.........what the hell what I do with you if we ever rode enduro together. Tyre kit complete when ya come though and make sure ya got it. Valve remover,levers,WD40 and pump. If ya can't get the rim out of the bike bring the whole thing. Take 10 minutes to rip it out and put it back in pumped up to go again.Bring a carton of VB for payment.

it is hard work , best bet is follow the instructions thump gave ya , only i drill a hole in my bench then put axel threw it , bolt up to bench , way more easy to work the leavers and is held fast to bench

i also heat up the tyre , if its a sunny day leave in sun for a hour on the concrete ,or a hair dryer works well

when i put it on i do the same , tho i use lube to help ,dish washing liquid ,warm up the tyre and hey presto

arfter a while i could almost put it on with my hands and then walk the last part in

Latest posts

Back