How to Make a Pitbike Rack

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven_nentis

Reaction score
does any1 have plans or knows where there are any to build a motorbike rack 4 a towball on a car:confused:
i really need to make 1

me and my dad made 1, i dont have plans but ill post pics if that helps. we pretty much made it up as we went. and depending on your welding, grinding ability its fairly eazy. mine has a pice of square tube welded to it which slides straight into the tow bar on our vs commodore.

this is the rack before we put lights on it
S5007370.jpg

S5007376.jpg

this is it with lights
rack-noplate.jpg

hey looks pretty cool is it removable because i need 2 put it on my mums car:D

How much money for the metals and stuff did it cost ya mittz?
Because you can get them from newlite for $240

ive got a mate that made a shit load of em, ill see if he had a plan =)
ill get back 2 ya

(EDIT): hah nah sorry he didnt use a plan
he had an original and copyed that.. all i could suggest is get MITTZ to take a few more happy snaps like birds eye and shit =)

Last edited:
go mittz =D even post em up so if other wanna do the same thing =) take one for the team hhaha
if you wanted to really be nice to the kid =P put some measurements with the pics as well or better yet draw up a plan =)

ill take some more pics tonight and put in some measurments and ill post them later!

and as for the costs of the materials, im not sure becoz my dads a metal worker and he got all the materials for free!

cheers guys

rackin it

Hey here is some pics of how i carry my mini weapon. Yeah and also i did it as i went.
But to anyone out there who are thinking of knocking one up, make sure you know what you are doing. read your car manual and check how much weight you can put on your tow ball, that means weight that has a downward pressure on the tow ball not the weight that is being towed, say like a trailers weight is taken up by both the car and the trailer wheels, bike rack is taken by the car alone.

once you know this you can weld up your own making sure you can fit it into the weight your car will allow. But even after this your welds need to be good too. Imagine driving along and the welds crack and break and it comes off, insurance wont cover you if it kills someone and you can kiss your bikes and your life goodbye.
MITTZ's one looks pretty good and seems like his dad knew what he was doing

Attachments

• IMG_0432_small.jpg
    IMG_0432_small.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0434_small.jpg
    IMG_0434_small.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0435_small.jpg
    IMG_0435_small.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 25
If you have the skills to fabricate one you do not need plans as they are very simple to build. If you cant just measure up your bike and throw one together after looking at a picture you probably dont have the ability to build one in the first place. The cost of materials would set you back about $60- (but most guys who can weld good enough to make one would have most of the steel as scrap as only short lengths are needed. You also need lights and I recomend a extra number plate from the RTA to keep the cops off your back. I dont think that the Newlite ones have lights etc.
Check out this link
http://www.miniriders.com.au/forum/mini-chat/9882-piccolo-builds-mini-carrier.html

ok heres some more pics guys, the channel is made of 3mm the tube is 35mm, the large tube is 50mm, ant the checker plate is 3mm aluminium checkerplate

this is it from the top
S5007425.jpg

this is it from the bottom
S5007431.jpg

this is the end of the channel
S5007428.jpg

this is the bit that goes in the tow bar
S5007427.jpg

the bit with the round hole in it was going to bolt onto the tow ball but then we welded the square tube underneth to make it easyer to attatch

any other questions just ask or add me on msn

yeah cass38a is right they are pretty eazy to build if you have the welding skills! and the lights and number plate ara good to the lights on mine cost about $40 at kmart ant the number plate is just a cardboard 1 at the moment but i will look into gett ing a propper 1 soon

We put a proper number plate and number plate light on the one I made. Looking at the 3 on display in this thread you can see that the basic design is similar however the mountings are all different (zents one looks very strong) dur to the different types of tow bars on the cars. I dont have any finished photos of mine as it was for a mate but it basicly got a couple of rings welded to the tie down points and a coat of paint etc.

Its a good idea to always release the strap closest to the car when getting the bike out, Piccolo let the back strap go first and his foot peg put a nice dent in the boot lid, you have been warned.

Last edited:
lol you've blacked out your number plate, but you can clearly see it on the car!

Latest posts

Back