How to take berms? and land properly

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkreign

Reaction score
hey guys i havent ridden in a couple years now, and am buying a new bike soon. when i did ride i was still a bit inexperienced and two things i found i was having difficulty doing were taking a berm properly in the way u dig in and power out and also how to make the nose of the bike come down a bit when landing a jump. whenever i was doing jumps i would either land flat or back wheel first, i would like to know some tips as to how to make it land more nose first for a smooth transition especially on bigger woops.

Any help would be very appreciated as with what i was doing it could be hazardous to my health (half gone sideways off my bike when hitting a berm improperly, and bailed off my bike from jumps).

well theres a couple of ways with jumping im no expert

but you can learn forward as you go off the jump or you can tap either your front or rear brakes but becareful not to send yourself over the bars as its easy to grab too much brake

as for berms take them slow till you get more confidence and you kind of figure it out for yourself

i had heard the theory of tapping the back brake to bring the nose down a bit but normally when jumping the thing that was going thru my head was "dont **** this up!" lol

dont get me wrong, i rode a peewee 50 when i was very young, and rode road bikes a plenty when got my license but it had been over 17 years since riding dirt. road and dirt are so different but so similar. cant wait to get out there again. want a bike again now but i have to wait til tax time to be able to afford one :(

Sit back, twist the throttle and hope for the best haha

no really stand up head inline with your forks or over the bars, smooth throttle dont back off before you take off and spot were your landing
well thats what if learnt from riding big bikes, pretty much the same you just dont stand as straight

hey mate, when riding a berm you want to be sitting in the middle of the bike to keep your wait even, have your inside leg up next to your shround to keep balance, have your outside elbow up and you want to have the front of your helmet over the crossbar and your bars, always looking ahead to your next obsticle, also you want to be in the right gear with constant throttle

cool thanks for the info. very helpful. if anyone could add more id appreciate it. been lookin at vids on youtube but its only so helpful

Umm I was at a coaching day the other day with Reefy and he told us if its a berm with a rutt you come forward a bit on the bike over the front of the bike more, foot out and a soft throttle looking about 2 bike lengths ahead. If there was no rutt you still leaned downwards with the bike but sort of like sit your butt crack on the edge, like stitching bit of the seat. Always have a smooth throttle, if you can't then do it slower and slowly get faster till its always nice and smooth.

As for jumping yeah head over bars looking forward and just make sure you throttle till your rear wheel leaves the ground other wise you hit down on the front hard. Keep legs pretty straight.

Elbows always bend upwards.

He runs awesome coaching days and everyone left learning something.

Hit it at WOT and make sure you have good gear

LOL, jks but what I'd advise first couple of runs with a burn
Find something that's not rutted, take your time go into it slow a couple times till you have a feel for te burm and slowly pick up speed each time around.. To me its a self taught skill so by practicing you will pick up what you find comfortable... Remember don't push yourself pace yourself

Similar with jumps find something that's not rutted with a good line pref a small table top, no doubles, go at it slow a couple of times I like to stand some people sit (don't know how) and keep constant your throttle constant... Go over it a few times slow until you feel confident enough to pick up speed when you do go at it each time a little faster... Don't worry about how you land it to start with just worry about landing it then work your way through tipping the nose down or bringing it back as you move on to bigger jumps

Remember haste is waste don't push your limits until you feel comfortable to do so and make sure you have right atire

Last edited:
nah i can land jump, just normally flat, sometimes the nose is a lil high as to why i hit back wheel first but ive done plenty of jumps landing correctly and only bailed a few times. first time bending the crappy handlebars that come with pit pros standard.

what i really need to know is more on correct landing technique for a downward landing. landing flat is not a problem when im landing on a flat surface, but going from jump to jump is quite hard because i cant land with nose pointing down properly. as pbk and dunny said tapping the back brake is effective for dipping the front end. looks like im gonna have to try that. also im a stander for jumps not a sitter. i find sitting weird, maybe that can affect it? im not sure but if its easier to land nose downward sitting then i might end up riding that style

nah i can land jump, just normally flat, sometimes the nose is a lil high as to why i hit back wheel first but ive done plenty of jumps landing correctly and only bailed a few times. first time bending the crappy handlebars that come with pit pros standard.

what i really need to know is more on correct landing technique for a downward landing. landing flat is not a problem when im landing on a flat surface, but going from jump to jump is quite hard because i cant land with nose pointing down properly. as pbk and dunny said tapping the back brake is effective for dipping the front end. looks like im gonna have to try that. also im a stander for jumps not a sitter. i find sitting weird, maybe that can affect it? im not sure but if its easier to land nose downward sitting then i might end up riding that style

i personally dont use brakes but i know it works

your really not going to know what will work best until you ride and try a few different things

i agree with crazzy berms i feel are a more self taught skill, you will get the hang of it the more you do it

can tap either your front or rear brakes

NEVER tap you front brake. It has over twice the effect and will drop the front really really quickly. Only for a lot more experienced riders. 99% of poeple use the back brake to dip the front and throttle in the air to lift it.

Latest posts

Back