Hummmmaaa!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GenuineThumpy

Reaction score
Ive gone and done something silly and bought myself an old atomik hummer, i know, feel free to throw the insults at me.
Thought why not, i know everyone says they are complete rubbish but thhought id get one for myself to try out,
needs quite a bit of TLC, but i reckon after a few hundred and a personal touch it could come up looking good.
when i first seen it, it looked like an abomination, smothered in hard mud, 2 engine mount axles missing and another missing a bolt, flat tires, missing side guards, ripped seat, and the list would just go on, the bloke said to me it was missing a coil and accelerator cable, im think, god, im not even going to beable to start this thing,
anyways, got upp there and thought id bring my own coill, hooked it up, not thinking it would start at all still, he reckons it had been sitting in his shed for 9-10 months, and bang, started over first kick, idle perfectly, so that was a bit of a suprise. andways, bought it home, gave it a bit of a clean up. Pulled the carby of for a clean, new air filter, new oil, new feul and its not missing a beat. havnt been able to take it out for a test yet, but should be interesting.
the bike seems pretty standard, all original, just wondering from your guys experience with them, what im i going to be looking at replacing first?

New bars, leavers and grips brings a suprisingly nice look at the front

its terrible. should've bought an atomik fury like me :p
Looks like it would clean up well, doesnt look too bad :) And when you take it out for a run, can u mention what the performance is like? i've just bvought a new fury (same engine) and was just wondering what the performance was like.

Yeah I woild have loved a fury. Look ljke great bikes. And will do mate. Pretty sure theey go good. Im into gearig mine down all the way for a snappy take off so im trying to figure out how im gonna go smacking a 50T rear sprocket on. Will probly need a bit of modding cause they dont make them that big for pitbikes so will have to get one for a proper honda or yammy and do the nessasary mods to make it work.

thanks mate, i think the 50t sprocket might take abit of work, but have u tried putting a smaller sprocket on the front ? what is on there now? what is the stock gearing btw?

not 100% on the standard gearing but it is running 13 front and 40 back, now im not sure how snappy it is yet cause i havnt ridden it, but im assuming its going to have to take a 50 back to get the same kind of kick as say a yz, crf 250f or whatever. obviously the rev span isnt going to be as great but i only do tight track racing and with the 5th gear on it, should be good,

dont reckon you would have to go as high as 50, even a 42 would be good with the thirteen, i went from a 17 tooth front on my sons gpx125 to a fourteen and the loss in top speed was VERY noticable..... ie around 110 km/h to 65km/h (was only tested against a car speedo so not 100% accurate but a good indicator)

Yeah im fairly aware how much top end ill lose. Like I said I don t really just cruise with these bikes. I like to give them a good thrash around quick turning tracks so im after all the power I csn get to power out of the corners. And for the 250 having that extra gear should help out heaps anywy. You may be right though. Ill give a 42-43T ago before I start muching around with sprockets not ment for the bike lol.
Im takig it out for a bash tonorrow so ill let yas know how it goes.

Had an interesting ride today. Just problem after problem. First getting it off thentrailer it just straigjt up wouldnt start. And nearly snapped the kick start off. Once I finally got it started. Went ovrr a lottle jump and it jist completely died. Turned oit there was a kink in the feul line andwasnt getting fuel. Then t the end of it when I was jist starting to have fun. Flat back tyre. Awesome. Lol. Overal it was fajrly.comfy and I didnt mind the handling of it. As for power. Obviously nothing compaired to a real 250 but it putts along alright. Bit of head work. Lighter flywheel and I bigger back sprocket and ill be happy

There pretty heavy bikes also and once looking over it you realize how they were just slapped together and whacked in a box, get yourself a new tank I have seen them come and go and the tanks are quite fragile, you can still get parts for them on ebay but overall if you are mechanically minded and keep an eye on the bike in general and check over it frequently then it will be a decent bush bike, don't go hitting 80 foot gaps anytime though.

Ywah have noticed that it has pretty poor crafsmanship. I really dont like how the peg mounts are welded on. And the bar risers are apart of the top fork clamps. Might make it.into a.custom project and starting custom making my own stuff for it. Very limited parts fornit. Seat. Plastics. Battery and thats about all I can find. The frame seems pretty sturdy though. You think it will snapp going abit too hard on the jumps?

Don't know about the frame snapping. Ive never heard of one doing so but dont want to bleed out from a nasty gash on ya ankle if a peg snaps off or a shocky mount breaks and the shock needs surgically removing lol ouchy.

If it aint broke, break it.

Haha yeah true that. The rear shock mounting system is like nothjng ive seen before. Its got 3-4 secondary mount linkage things. From the mount on the swingwrm. Is and elbow that curves down below the swingarm. Then mounted wkth anotherm and another and then the shockmounts to tthat last one. Probly makes no sense. Unless you already know what I mean. Id have to take a picture

Latest posts

Back