idle trouble; after rec reg kit

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudskipper

Reaction score
Took my motovert 160r to motorbike city in ferntree gully and got a rec reg kit fitted.
WORST customer service, no tradesman-ship, tried to pan off a broken hand guard on my bike and tore my exhaust wrap... had to ASK for a mirror and got no chain cover. 2 weeks later its done **** house.

the problem I now have:

said it was fitted with a larger stator, yet he pointed at a rotor.

The bike struggles to hold idle when its cold.
Setting the revs a little higher, the bike now pulls itself along without the need
for throttle. They also tightened the chain to the point when I sit on it I only get ""mm
of movement. the bike also crawls backwards and vibrates alot more than it used to.

I hate that shop and cant stand to go back, can someone help me please?:boxe:

How much did they charge you for the quality work they did?

The best advice anyone here could give you is....
1 firstly dont go back to that shop, Especially if they dont know that the chain needs to be adjusted
eg: when the swingarm is at its longest point from the front sprocket (Directly straight from the front sprocket to the swinarm pivot down to the rear axle, Thats where the chain should be adjusted) Usually need someone to sit on it to get it to the correct spot on most bikes

2 Secondly learn to do the work yourself, That way you know how to fix it if your out riding & something goes wrong, Nothing worse than fixing other peoples stuff ups

Crawling backwards??? Whats the go with that? Never heard of that before

You expect quality professional work from just about any type of business but the lack of general care & greed from business owners sends a lot of business's down the toilet unfortunately, From working in the automotive industry & seeing how some mechanics including motorbike mechanics operate I refuse to hand just about anything to a mechanic even for a pink slip I will hang around & wait till its done, If I need something fixed I will buy the parts (Much cheaper than mechanics prices) & even buy any tools necessary for the job & still save a sheet load

Getting a bit off track here but I priced a Hitachi ignition coil for one of my cars at Bursons & the gave me a price of $260ea WTF???, US ebay was a bit better at around $100ea, I went direct (CHINA) the same as I have done with many (China) motorbike parts and actually found the very same (Part number) genuine Hitachi coil for $16ea brand new so I now have 10 of them on the way for $220US via UPS which will be fast postage, Sell 4 of them & I have a complete set of 6 coils for free pretty much, Even if I ended up paying $220 its still about $1340 cheaper than Bursons?
Anyway we are basically paying way too much for just about anything here in OZ & when you throw crap workmanship in with that it just piece's me off which im sure is how you feel Mudskipper!

Sounds like you need to have it tuned properly for starters then get the rest sorted

Total works and mayerials cost over $600...
Yeh i almost said keep the bike, but beats no reg fine.
I try to research what i can before giving it to a shop
If i can help it.
1) as the bike idles with kick stand down it starts to crawl backward..?
2) i got the bike turning over first time, every time with no throttle,
Now it barely holds idle with throttle.. Since they had the bike.
3) once holding idle. 10mins later... It doesnt need throttle to putt along
And i even sit on the brake to make it slow down.

2)3) to do with reg kit and rotor

i wont say the brand but iv had and also have mates with Chinese bikes that vibrate backwards when on the stand on concrete. i just think its funny like its trying to get away or something. iv also had idle problems and found that it can be the choke butterfly in the carby bouncing open close really fast. so iv just used a zip tie gently on the choke handle to keep it steady.

I know what you mean by rolling backwards , its just the vibration that causes it due to were the stand is, if the stand was at the back a bit more it would run forwards i think, but because of weight distribution and stand placement it vibrates backwards. The 30mm mikuni has always been a prob with the choke fluttering and even the choke lever going to the on position, on my motard i have a zip tie setup than can be hooked over the lever once used to start up.

Good reminder! I had this problem when i bought it,
The butterfly was not operating correctly as the external screw
Was loose.
Ill attack that tonight. Should solve my prob.

On another note, if i drain the fuel out of carb and tank,
Will that be enough to keep my bike in storage for 6 months?

So the butterfly operates fine... They had the bike for 2 weeks, dont know if the carby has old fuel in it. might give it a clean. Thought i shall use fuel saver in the carby and keep a little fuel in it to prevent moisture effecting the hog.

if the carby is clean, im still stuck

they may have retarded/advanced your ignition timing.. ?

Latest posts

Back