Ignition advance on Lifan 125 (1p54FMI)?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AusJames

Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to know if anyone has played with the ignition pickup for a Lifan 125 1p54FMI?

I want to advance the igntion as far as possible to suit 98octane. It seems all the CDI's are crap or at least no-one knows if they are any good. All the seem to do is remove the revlimited. Not interested in that.

I've heard some inner rotor kits come with adjustable pickups? I don't really want the light flywheel because I'm racing motard and a decent flywheel to smooth things out is actually very good, but I might have to go down that line if I can't modify what I have.

The only way is via the pickup. I know what to do, but the way the pickup is fixed leaves no room to move it. Probably a good thing for Lifan, but hard to modify.

Anyone done it? Any tips or ideas?

cheers

I have looked at doing it, but havent at this stage for the same reasons as you. Not a lot of meat on the pickup mounts to do it safely. So I need the advice of someone who has done this or attempted to do it as well. I am gunna try 1mm and see what diff it makes.

I don't tihnk 1mm is going to make much difference. From the research I've done, should be able to do about 5 degrees of timing advance. Not sure what this equates to. either way, I plan to just keep advancing it as far as I can before it starts to ping and then I'll know where the sweet spot is.

I know it wont make much difference but I am struggling to find away to move it more, due the the mounting position of the pickup. Is that the probs ur having?

Yeah, there is basically no room to move it. It's very well secured which is great for Lifan for reliability.

I've been looking into IRK's this morning as they have an adjustable pickup on them. That seems to be the only way to do it at the moment. It's a pain because I don't want to lose my flywheel weight which I like to keep the bike smooth.

The guys at DHZ say that they know the IRK they sell, which is the Kitaco clone one, DOES change the ignition advance via the CDI and it also offers 1cm of movement at the pickup. they also said that after testing they found that the 'stock' middle of the range pickup setting gives the best performance.

let ya know if I find out more :)

advance timming

Hi Guys

You could elongate the hole with a dramil, so it can slide but dont touch the width.
Mark where it is now,so as when you play with it you know where it was originally,this should give you enough to advance to find the sweet spot.

Hope this helps

Marty :)

Hey James.. Just fitted a Mojo IRK that I got from Danny PRB which is also a kitaco clone it does have about 5mm advance and retard adjustment from centre. (I've tried to do the mod before on a standard flywheel before using the dremmel and you really couldnt advance it anywhere near enough)

I ran it on the track at Warnambool on Sunday without modifying the advance and cant say that as a motard there was any real benefit / disadvantage in going to the irk other than the derestriction of the revs.

Going to have a play with the timing using a timing light and see what difference it makes on the track at Dandenong on Wednesday night.

Hi Guys

You could elongate the hole with a dramil, so it can slide but dont touch the width.
Mark where it is now,so as when you play with it you know where it was originally,this should give you enough to advance to find the sweet spot.

Hope this helps

Marty :)

Just not enough metal there to remove that would make any difference

2tscreamer, I hope to be at Dandenong also Wednesday night so I'll see you there and check things out.

Did you try full advance to full retard? Was there any difference?

James, remember that there's always another option......... move the flywheel.

Either bust out the dremel and enlarge the keyway slot, or have someone make up an offset key for it.

Not sure what you mean, Andy?

I was hoping to make something so it was easy to tune and change etc.

can you elaborate? pics would be WONDERFUL :D

James, remember that there's always another option......... move the flywheel.

Either bust out the dremel and enlarge the keyway slot, or have someone make up an offset key for it.

That would work, but would that 10mm nut hold the flywheel in the new position without it wanting to move around? And if you screw it up, how do you fix it so you can put it back to original?

James, I'm not an artists backside so I'll refrain from drawing pics.....:eek:

The offset keys are like this pic and are offset from top to bottom in order to move the flywheel by a fixed amount.

Rocket_Keys_logo.jpg

My other suggestion was to enlarge the keyway slot in the flywheel and make it wider enabling you to advance (or retard) the flywheel as required. The only catch with this is that as pegleg has mentioned there could be an issue with the flywheel slipping on the shaft over time.

I'd try and find another flywheel that you can slot for test purposes and then once you've found how much you would like to advance things by, get an offset key made up to spin your flywheel by the required amount which will hold things in place securely.

Hope you follow what I'm saying??

Not really in terms of nuts and bolts, but I understand the theory. Move the fly wheel isntaed of the pickup. I've heard of "timing" keys for pocket bikes. I presume they do the same thing by advancing the igntion.

I'll have to look into it more.

Not really in terms of nuts and bolts, but I understand the theory. Move the fly wheel isntaed of the pickup. I've heard of "timing" keys for pocket bikes. I presume they do the same thing by advancing the igntion.

I'll have to look into it more.

Dont buy a offset key, although if theyre redeality available go for it.

Get some lapping compound, and spin the flywheel on the taper end of the shaft so its a good fit. File the key to whatever you desire(maybe half way), turn the flywheel so snug against the filed step, and toruq itdown, it should not move.

done thisfor years with the karts, works great. i know guys who odnt even bother with keys

You can also make a degree wheel, and find your actual timing....

Ok.. I've fitted and tested my IRK now. I can definitely say if you're interestd in stuffing round with your timing.

Go the IRK it had more than enough adjustment and it gave the additional performance benefits of throttle response and rev range for a motard as well. The other bonus is that unlike a key you can adjust forward or back till you get it right. (Hint have a timing light handy)

I reckon its $100 odd well spent in comparison to the pissing around doing other things that may or may not work and may or may not stuff up your ignition setup and timing completely.

Although my engine is not a Lifan, I have elongated the holes on the senser (using needle a file) and i have die grinded the mount to make room for some movement.

Although its not the magic 5 degrees, it has still made a difference. If I want I can safely go further by another mm.

Now, like andy600rr has suggested, i will try to elongate the stator mounting hole, being mindfull not to extend them past the seals... just gotta get my hands on my mate dremel.

Free mods are fun.

:D

Oh yeah! Free mods are great! But I'm starting to like the IRK which comes with ignition adjustment built in AND a CDI which actually changes the timing curve. Looks like I"ll be forking out the 100 odd bucks for one, hopefully by the Vic titles this weekend.

Latest posts

Back