Im really, really sorry for this but... SUSPENSION?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch_cats

Reaction score
I know its a FAQ but suspension is a very personal thing and i am truly sorry to start a new thread on it but your help would be awesome. Im only fifteen so i don't have much money to spend on my pitty and i think suspension is one of the cheapest ways to go alot faster (i was gonna get my head ported, new valve springs, cam and carby but i want to do this all at the same time and considering that this would be to expensive at the moment). Im already shuffling 3/4 of the money i do get into a jar under my mattress for a big bike but this is likely to be at least 18 months away before i can afford one. And 18 months is way to much time to be losing to my mates in our VERY, VERY SERIOUS three man races on the farm. Im always only a few bike lengths away on my little chinga 140 while there on there jap (although air cooled and fairly old) 250 and 230's! Any way my point is i need any little advantage on them to be faster then them. And lately ive been reading how much suspension can improve your riding and considering we ride pretty twisty tight stuff and that my mates wouldn't haven't touched a spanner let alone suspension mean this could be the perfect advantage for me.

First my personal specs.

Height: 170cm (give or take five centimeters)

Weight: 55kg (once again give or take a few)

Bike: DHZ dpro140

Eyelet Hole to Eyelet Hole: 290mm

Drive axle: i think 14mm

Riding style(s): Motocross tracks, steep and rough empty river crossings, jumping, sort of trail riding, grass, really soft and pebbly river beds... you get it the list goes on

If theres any other specs you need to know just tell me

Ok getting on from that i dont really have the money or skills to upgrade front suspension but i have already put 5w oil in them and have noticed a much better difference. My budget on the rear shock is about 200 bucks including buying a different spring if needed. In summary to all the crap i been talking about before this what spring should i get!

i was looking at this DNM MST-BAG 350LBS Spring Shock Remote Reservoir | Mini Bikes | Pitbikes | Dirt Bike Parts & Accessories | DHZ Mini Moto except its 10mm to short. Could i over come the size difference by just bringing the forks up in the clamps or will is the shock of the list?

also for now until i have the money to get a new shock what should i have the sag at. The current stock shock has an 800lb spring and is way to hard so obviously i wont be able to get the race sag and static sag to have the right relationship so should i still have my race sag at 70mm until i get the new shock or will it need to be more or less. And another thing i just quickly need to ask is that i have my forks only on the top line. is this to low should i move them up in the forks a bit?

once again sorry for making another suspension thread but i do need some help
Thank you guys so much in advance
Mitch

Firstly Im going to say do I repeat do not get a rear sock that is different in length. lol Ive done it beofre and believe me even 10mm makes a huge difference! As for the rear shock I have a DNM MTG-rc and it sits beautifully, even though its a 1000lbs its fine for my 60kg and has sag and awesome afjustment.

Although I'd be recomennding you just get a lighter spring as youve already got a GPX rear shock and there not to bad to start off ith anyhow.

As for the front forks, just slide them through the clamp until the bike sits at an angle you are happy with.

Although when it comes to getting more performence on your bike, Id wouldnt be chucking all your money at the suspensions, as your setup isnt too bad already... Id be looking at an OKO carby for a punchier acceleration, maybe a bore kit, but there are other fols on here with more knowledge about upgrading engines then me and Im sure the'd be happy to help

Best of luck,

Carlton

Thanks heaps for that Carlton. Thats helped heaps.

But ive still got a few things to ask. Unfortunately i got the bike before dhz upgraded the suspension to the gpx. Do you reckon i could pm ken to see if he would give me a good trade in deal for my shock to a gpx? And then just get a lighter spring (what weight spring should i get)

and also
Firstly Im going to say do I repeat do not get a rear sock that is different in length. lol Ive done it beofre and believe me even 10mm makes a huge difference!
i knew id read that before lol. I just thoght id ask just in case coz the shock is perfect except for the length. Im geussing 290mm is a rare length coz im having trouble to find any 290mm shocks. Ive been looking on the dnm website and they have 290mm shocks but the drive axles are 2mm to big on most of them. (the drive axle is the nut isn't it? if so could i just widen the holes on the mounts?)
I found this MK-AR - DNM Suspension Technology which is all the specs i need but is it any good?
Any other shock suggestions would be great
Thanks again carlton for you info

Mitch

Latest posts

Back