Interested in racing? Here's the costs:

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruby

Reaction score
Its time for the stocktake sales and winter sales. Time to upgrade our gear for the road and track.

... and a good time to put the scare into those who think protection comes cheap.

Ricky has gone and gotten himself some new Alphinestars GP Tech gloves. These are the ones the MotoGP riders are wearing ... and they ain't cheap ... $300 ouch!

AlpinestarsGPTechgloves.jpg

Alpinestars SX-1 race suit $2100

AlpinestarsSX-1suit.jpg

Shark RSF brain bucket $499

SharkRSF2helmet.jpg

Joe Rocket Speedmaster boots $430

JoeRocketSpeedmasterboots.jpg

Yikes! Over $3300 in protection alone, not including back protector etc. But I have seen him crash at high speeds on the race circuit, and he's walked away, so you get what you pay for.

I'm happy I got my full leathers for $350, boots for free (thanks Ricky!); gloves $90; helmet $200. I reckon when I get serious at the track like Ricky, I'll need some top shelf stuff (yikes!)

Anybody else here race and have spent big $$$ on gear?

Wow, seems very pricey. Btw, Ruby.. I watched the last motogp thing where stoner came 2nd.. rossi 1st and nicky hayden 3rd, dude.. why the hell was chris vermulen like 16th?

kinda makes my trakydaks and volleys seem lame now:eek: :eek:

Wow, seems very pricey. Btw, Ruby.. I watched the last motogp thing where stoner came 2nd.. rossi 1st and nicky hayden 3rd, dude.. why the hell was chris vermulen like 16th?

Chris came 16th and Stoner came 2nd because I wasn't watching the race! LOL

I like to give my support thru watching the TV ... I know they can feel me barracking for them! :p

BTW looked at another set of full one piece race leathers today. Minimum to suit me with back protector is like $950. OMG!

Ruby,
how about you do a full run down on the cost of racing a bike in the category that Ricky races in, ie: cost of bike plus spares, cams license or other race licenses, club membership or track membership.
I am just interested to know the rough dollar figure to get started in road racing at a competative level.

God!!! I don't know the exact costs even Ricky can't remember it all. It does all come down to how much you value your life and how much you spend on bottom shelf or top shelf bits.

But this is roughly what Ricky has spent anyway ...

GEAR:

Helmet $500
Boots $430
Suit $2100
Gloves $300
Back protector $200

Total: $3,530

RACE FEES:

Club membership $25 per year
MA licence $240 per year
Entry fees about $160 per race all up (4 races per year average)
Practice fee $80 for the day before race

Total $1225

BIKE FITOUT:

Not inc bike (price varies too much of course) and not including any mods to suspension etc this varies too much too
Race fairings $500 each (2 sets)
Race exhaust system $600
Race tyres $500 (1st set)
Tyre warmers $500

Total: $2,100

EXTRAS:

Race tyres for each race $500 (each race x 4 races)
Regular servicing to bike $200 each service (x 2 average)
Dyno tune (per year/modification) $360
Repairs to bike after crash $200 (average x 2)
Repairs to leathers after crash $200 (average x 2)
Fuel!!!!!! about $60 per race (x 4 not inc track days)

Total: $3800

GRAND TOTAL: $10655!!!!!!! To get into your first year of racing. Ricky is only a C grader ATM too, but running B grade times. Its his bike keeping him out of the B grade classes, add another $10K or so for a bike capable and thats expensive! Of course most of this stuff will be bought before racing like ya leathers, lid and all that. And the cost gets cheaper the next year because youve already got most of the shit. The biggest ongoing cost Ricky has is with tyres and fuel, and then theres costs when you crash of course! LOL

Ouch, I better not show Ricky these calculations. OMG

Last edited:
lol, as mi dad says, every man is allowed to hav 1 expensive hobby..... believe me, they get much mroe expensive then that, 1 aeroplane hedset costs over $2,000, lol. wat sorta bike does ricky race?

lol. wat sorta bike does ricky race?

2002 GSXR 600

Its not a shy bike either for a 600. I've seen him pass guys on their more modern 1000s like they were standing still ... mostly because he brakes real late into turns having the lighter bike. He gets the better corner speed too and pulls from the 1000s quite well. His mate has a 2005 GSXR 1000 and runs 1m22s and Ricky runs 1m17s LOL This explains why Ricky crashes every now and then, he just pushes it hard sometimes, and sometimes too hard. It fun watching him LOL

His been window shopping and has fallen in love with the 2007 CBR600RR. LOL But he'd have to sell the GSXR and the TLR to afford it. He doesn't like having loans. :rolleyes:

lol, kk. does he race for a hobb or is it his living or wat?

Pascal, Im pretty sure its a hobby. I doubt ricky is big enough in the racing scene, nor making enough money to be able to make a living off it.

Thanks heaps for that Ruby, sorry I had to make you think....lol Doing maths when you don't have to is a pain in the arse.
So roughly 10.5k plus the initial bike outlay. I think it would be hard to keep that sort of money in the cunning kit so the missus didn't find out.
Again, thanks for the effort.

just interested, what is your job and what is rubys?? cheers hope u dont mind me askin

Pascal, Im pretty sure its a hobby. I doubt ricky is big enough in the racing scene, nor making enough money to be able to make a living off it.

Trackdays are a hobby. Club racing is taking it beyond a hobby and getting competitive, but his not a paid racer. His been offered sponsorship but knocked it back because he wants to enjoy racing on his own, no matter how small. Ricky has a problem with politics in sport and losing the enjoyment of that sport because of that. Its happened to him before. He used to be an international competitor for karate. He'll be embarassed me saying this, but he was on the aussie team 3 times, trained in japan, went to the world champs in the USA, and he's got silver medals from international tournaments. He's good. But he gave it up when he got more involved in the organising of the local competitions and saw all the bullshit politics. He tells me "the minute you stop enjoying something there is no point going on". something like that :D

Thanks heaps for that Ruby, sorry I had to make you think....lol Doing maths when you don't have to is a pain in the arse.
So roughly 10.5k plus the initial bike outlay. I think it would be hard to keep that sort of money in the cunning kit so the missus didn't find out.
Again, thanks for the effort.

I'm just shocked to see the total cost myself. :eek: I'm sure Rickys missus is not aware of this cost either LOL Mind you thats been built up and put together over several years. Ricky's been riding for 17 years and has gatherred stuff together in the last 4 years. His built the 600 himself for less than $4K. Like he says, what else are you going to spend your money on? Xboxes and games and little bikes, pretending to be Rossi, when you can take it one step further and actually race! ;)

Very nice looking gear.. Love the boots.
I'm looking to get a road bike ASAP and have been looking alot at gear and yeah it's very expensive to keep ya self as safe as possible. That helmets sweet too..

Latest posts

Back