IRK's and how to lighten oil slinger?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bones

Reaction score
hay guys.

well as you would have seen, i have smashed up my flywheel cover and snapped my magneto away from my flywheel so she wont start, i have decided to take the plunge and get an IRK and oil cooler etc... just to get a little more outta her. now my question is this. how do i lighten the oil slinger, where is the oil slinger located?? i step by step would be REALLY REALLY appreciated as i know if i take it into sa dirt bikes its going to cost me a small fortune in parts and labour (probably 1k plus) but the irk should only be worth $300 as a worst case senario. so my questions are this

where is the best place to go for kitaco components in australia?
where do i find a step by step process to remove and lighten the oil slinger?

any input or information would be really appreciated, if no one has a step by step i will be sure to take down notes, take pictures and post something up like a "how to" for everything i do :D

thanks so much guys.

Cheers, Tony.

Ive read many a fourm on a US based fourm and they say over and over again do not shave the oil slinger when installing a IRK, but if you must listen to the few so called experts on this site go ahead...

The oil slinger is the oil pump internals its located on the kick start side of the bike towards the front of the motor bottom right hand corner, Its under a little triangle plate, and o only need to shave the are that doesn't grab and flick the oil around.

You can get Kitaco IRK off http://www.oz50.com.au/ or http://www.boxys.com.au they both import Kitaco directley so im sure they'd be able to do a better price due to no middle men importers.

But the IRK are more in the mid to high $400's

adobeuserar8.gif

driftbarpg2.png

Yeah not sure mate , Epod just got one that's lightened and ready to go ....I think he got it from roost , I'll ask him .

hi i was just wondering if i can put an IRK on a lifan 125 wich is not a start in any gear... so wat do i hav to dooo

Ive read many a fourm on a US based fourm and they say over and over again do not shave the oil slinger when installing a IRK, but if you must listen to the few so called experts on this site go ahead...

The oil slinger is the oil pump internals its located on the kick start side of the bike towards the front of the motor bottom right hand corner, Its under a little triangle plate, and o only need to shave the are that doesn't grab and flick the oil around.

You can get Kitaco IRK off http://www.oz50.com.au/ or http://www.boxys.com.au they both import Kitaco directley so im sure they'd be able to do a better price due to no middle men importers.

But the IRK are more in the mid to high $400's

adobeuserar8.gif

driftbarpg2.png
say what you want about the oil slinger , but i have run a lightened oilslinger on all my bikes with rotors and as long as the timming is set correct ( about 28 degrees you will not have kick back. If you dont beleive me give Andy a call at BIG 50, Mark at 50 HQ, Terry at MOTO SCOOT, RKFINCH, and just about any where else,. The oilslingers main purpose is to transfer oil from the crank case to the crank, so i dont know who has told you it is the oil pump internals. It is located on the end of the crank and as for under a triangle plate, you obviously you have never seen or worked on one before. I think you are talking about the oil pump itself, so before you come on here and offer technical advice and put people down go and get some hands on experience.Im not having a go at you this subject just gets to me

This is why complete inner rotor kits contain a lightened oil slinger - its not sold as a bonus paper weight.

My final words are if you are not sure do your own research and ring around dont rely on heresay

thanks for the info boys. eichkay do they say why the oil slinger shouldnt be shaved, what are the pro's and cons to a shaved oil slinger as apposed to one?? any info or links you could provide me with would be awesome man.

Cheers, Tony.

hay roost. thanks for posting up man, so you say there are complete kits with the lightened oil slinger, where would i go to get my hands on one of them as im quite interested. any help is appreciated mate.

Cheers, Tony.

hi i was just wondering if i can put an IRK on a lifan 125 wich is not a start in any gear... so wat do i hav to dooo

you can but it is not adviseable as the clutch basket may let go . On bikes with the clutch on crank shaft (not start in gear) the clutch is mounted on the crank and not the main shaft, so you will have a massive weight reduction on the rotor side and a lot of weight on the other side (not good at all for balance) You can not believe how quick the engine will rev with a rotor it is unbelievable. As i said in my last thread get a few opions as this is just mine

thanks roost umm spose i have to ring around umm you got any refrences for victoria that i should call or any links...

another thing i have thought of is will i need to have HD valve springs to go in accordance with the IRK. because the motor will rev out further and harder the valves will have to retain their movement. either this or i am considering getting the motovert outlaw motor. if this becomes a $800 job then i will begin looking at the outlaw motor.

Cheers guys, Tony.

just the same as a car engine, if you add modified components to increase rpms and don,t replace the valve springs with either heavy duty or double springs your engine will produce whats called valve bounce which robs the engine of power.

as i thought, thanks for the verification RD RACING. now all i need to do is find somewhere to get these HD valve springs from as i hope to be able to do all the work myself, im not too keen to get SA dirtbikes to do it all as its quite expensive i would imagine. thanks for all the info guys but if there is anything you could add it would be appreciated.

Cheers, Tony.

Yeh man go the outlaw, i rode with a few fellas from www.fmxaustralia.com they all have crf50's and yeh they thought the outlaw was pretty good. Probably the best value for money at the moment, use your gpx as a spare or stick a stock stator back on it and try to flog it for $300-400

Anyone wanting to research the IRK and oil slinger check planetmini's out.. I havn't looked at this mod for over a year and didn't really look at it in much detail and at the time thought it was a oil pump mod and have since realized its really the simple oil filter of the motor, and guys in the US are taking it off all together instead of just lightening it nowdays...

Heres a couple of links

yes that is correct Eichkay but if you remove it you must run a remote filter and and complete the oil passage from clutch cover case to crank. As far as i know Takagawa use a custom clutch case that eliminates the need for the oilslinger. But i would lighten oil slinger first and see how you like it before doing a total slinger removal mod as my personal oppinion is it makes it to light and would be a bitch to ride (stall king), but if you have grown up with 2 strokes than it may suit you. By just fitting rotor and lightened oilslinger it changes your bike so much. I lined my bike up against a bike with stock fly wheel yesterday and the differance is unbelievable where the other bike would be waiting for second gear to wind out enough so it could go to 3rd, the bike with rotor and lightened oil slinger was well and truely on its way to 4th and the pick up you couldn't compare, and i'm sure which every way you go (lightened oilslinger or not ) the fitting of an inner rotor will impress and is one of the most noticable mods that can be done. I'm sure we all agree on that

Last edited:
yes i agree but, if your thinking of buying an inner rotor kit take a couple of things into consideration; do you really need this engine mod ? can your engine internals handle the extra rpms ? can you afford the buy a decent brand type ? this is worth a thought.

There are all the same. Chinese have copied the japs very well in this instance. I just pick up a complete kit for a steal. It includes alloy oil slinger. Can't wait to install it this week. Have another one for sale, but you will have to lighten your slinger yourself, or not?
Peace, ride on merry bloody christmass.

Hey lads we have the IRK, lightened Oil slinger, CDI and high voltage coil all together for $170 and we can ship to Vic tomorrow...
Just order online through the website and mention that you are a member of miniriders.com to get the price...
Cheers
Big Leigh
PS or PM me and we can get it sorted for ya...

Attachments

• IRK.jpg
    IRK.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Lets make one thing clear, This IRK kit WILL NOT make your china rev any quicker. It WIL make it REV UP quicker. There is a difference. max RPM will not change, in fact the bike will pull les as you get closer to these max RPM. The bike will pull up to max RPM alot quicker but fall off quicker also. Only on a bike with a better cam and valve springs and higher cube ports will you actually get HIGHER RPM's. I fitted a KITACO IRK to a 124 superhead +r kitted honda motor and as the kit was designed to do( it was developed for road race use) it made the bike pull harder all round and allowed the motor to climb higher in the RPMs whilst still pulling very hard. Now that is an increase in power and RPMs worth paying for.

Latest posts

Back