Is there a difference in Top Speed from a 14t to a 17t sprocket?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThisGuy

Reaction score
I have and SSR125sr stock engine with a mikuni vm26 carb copy. I used to have a 14t front sprocket but I now changed it to a 17t. I havent been able to ride my bike yet but I wanted to know if this was a good buy for a big speed difference. Can you give me an example of a speed difference it might make?

smaller front sprocket = more low end, you will reach the top speed faster, the bike will accelerate harder, but you will lose top end speed which is good best for tight tracks

larger front sprocket = less low end but gains in mid range and top. The bike wll accelerate slower, but the top speed will increase. which is best for long wide open tracks

larger rear sprocket = more low end, you will reach the top speed faster, the bike will accelerate harder, but you will lose top end speed. same as smaller front sprocket.

Smaller rear sprocket = less low end but gains in mid range and top. The bike wll accelerate slower, but the top speed will increase. same as larger front sprocket.

if you play around with the sprockets depending on the track you'll find its alot easier to go fast.
every track i ride i change my sprockets to how the track is or how i want the power.

smaller front sprocket = more low end, you will reach the top speed faster, the bike will accelerate harder, but you will lose top end speed which is good best for tight tracks

larger front sprocket = less low end but gains in mid range and top. The bike wll accelerate slower, but the top speed will increase. which is best for long wide open tracks

larger rear sprocket = more low end, you will reach the top speed faster, the bike will accelerate harder, but you will lose top end speed. same as smaller front sprocket.

Smaller rear sprocket = less low end but gains in mid range and top. The bike wll accelerate slower, but the top speed will increase. same as larger front sprocket.

if you play around with the sprockets depending on the track you'll find its alot easier to go fast.
every track i ride i change my sprockets to how the track is or how i want the power.

oh god, you need a gf Harry

oh god, you need a gf Harry

Lmao, but thanks, I just need to find a colored chain. Im looking for a blue 420 chain with at least 102 links. Does anyone know where I can get this?

That's going to make a huge difference in acceleration, your bike will most probably bog in the low revs with that kind of change. Going 3 up in front sprockets is the same as going 9 down in rear sprockets, huge difference.
Do you need that much top speed? If its only a 125 motor your bike might seem really slow compared to how it was... Tell us how it goes!

Mate I wouldn't change to 17 I'd only go 16 max, trust me its a huge difference I've gone both ways before and unless your just riding in straight lines your bikes gonna feel sluggish, as far as a colored chain the only place I've seen stocking them is braaap but as far as reliability goes I reckon the fact that no runs them speaks for its self, I could be wrong but it's up to you.

Latest posts

Back