Jacobs Ladder: Anyone Made One??

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingers

Reaction score
Hey just wondering if anoyone on here has made a jacobs ladder? Two bits of wire with the electric arc running up between them. I have a few high voltage trannys from some neon signs and was thinkin of buliding one, Had a look on you tube but they seem to be using trannys that are about 1/4 the size of the ones i got (physical size) The ones i got range from 7.5 kva to 15 kva and are about 35cm by 15 cm by 10cm and are quiet heavy. So can i make on from one of these or should i not. It will be running off 230 volt to. I am a sparky so i got everything i need to make it just not to sure if it'll work or go bang :p

Also interested in makeing a tesla coil to :p Anyone know how to do that?

speak of the devil:) i just metioned i made a tesla coil and touched it earlier on here:p

yes, ive made a jacobs ladder...easest way...go to a neon sign shop and get 2nd hand a transformer...about 15KV... i got mine for $50:)

as too a tesla coil, im going to invest in some glass tubing for the cap and make a slightly better one soon..i was VERY dodgy:eek:...but was getting almost metre long sparks

15kva is not 15 kv either...

neon trannies are current limited to 30 ma usually....60 ma i a rarity but available...

i also use an induction heater at work...its got fat arsed 10uF 1000 v caps in it:eek:

opps meant kv. my bad, just had a look at the a tranny and yeah it says 25/30 ma c.c. looks like thats what im gonna be stuffin around with 2moro on my day off, lol

:) right, ten mins ago...
grab some thick wire, mines too thin. springs around.
bend it all so it clears the case by an inch.
have about 15mm gap at bottom, spread it so its about 50 at the top...

dont touch:p

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back