Jets!!!!!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitboss125

Reaction score
Everyones talking about jetting there carburettors, and its something i want to learn a lot more about before i buy my 150 and new carb. Where are the best places to buy them and do certain jets only fit certain carbs? for e.g. do mikuni carbs take different jets to oko's?

yea thanks for that in depth helpful response. I already searched, and yea there is heaps of info on carbies and what jet sizes to use. But i want to know where to get them as in like do bike shops sell them? Or order them off the net or what? and weather they are all compatible or weather specific carbies need specific jets? i didnt really find any posts answering those Q's so thats why i asked

Most bike shops sell jets .... I think they are reasonably generic but not sure ... someone will e along to tell ya though ...I just order one size up n down WITH the bike or the carby ...that way they are sure to fit and get you out of most situations ...... but I live at altitude and jetting is a bit trickier up here at times.

But havin said that...if I'm goin down to sea level I can still usually get away with just clip adjustments on the needle.

Another thing .... your carby lets in AIR as well as fuel and I've seen crew with filthy or even over oiled airfilters LOSING IT tryin to tune and jet carbys without sussin airflow ..... also 99% of engine wear results from dirt sucked through the carby .... so keep it oiled .

what are jets? what do they do and were do they go in the carby? if anyone has a diagram or something.. thanks.

^^^^jets are what the petrol goes through to get to the motor different sized ones change your bikes performance and tune.there are 2 jets a pilot and a main.

just to explain quickly.

jets are little nozzles that sit inside the carb, they deliver a set amount of fuel into the passing airstream going through the carb, creating a fine gasoline mist, the mist must consist of a certain ratio of fuel to air for the engine to deliver maximum performance AND reliabilety, to much fuel (rich) and you will lose power 'coz the engine cannot burn it all, to little fuel (lean) and you will also lose power, and you can get detonation (pinging) and in worst case scenarios destroy your engine.

the jets on most carbs are called : the main-jet, the pilot-jet, the needle-jet and the airscrew. and most carb-manufacturers use theire own jets, but all decent shops should have jets in stock, just take your carb to a shop and they will help you.

and how to jet is a complex thing to explain to someone. jetting depends of temperature, altitude, humidity, setup of your bike and so forth, it's a process of trial and error really, you try on jet and see how it feels, then you try another one and see if you notice a difference.

do a search on google and you will find heaps on guides to jetting.

Latest posts

Back