KTM 4 stroke 250? Should I?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking very nice also liking the one industries seat cover

there is a common misconception that 2 strokes rev higher than 4 strokes. this isnt the case. The other misconception in that they have no torque. This is also not the case. Almost any bike can be good in the bush, it's how you set it up. Depending what sort of riding youre doing a 450 may not be the best thing for you. For example if youre riding snotty single trails you need to be careful with big bore bikes as they like to overheat. but in open trails the 250s run out of legs. Its all up to what type of riding youre doing.

I ride a yz250 exclusively in the bush and endurocross. It is a 2 stroke so still has the characteristic powerband but it is smooth unlike all other japanese 2 strokes. As mentioned earlier, it's how its set up.

I would recommend a 350cc 4 stroke. The best of both worlds.

What gearing are you running? What sorta setup? I have a ktm 200exc that I want exclusively for endure riding but want to tame the band just a little bit. It's a tad to wild on the hillclimbs

What gearing are you running? What sorta setup? I have a ktm 200exc that I want exclusively for endure riding but want to tame the band just a little bit. It's a tad to wild on the hillclimbs
Ummm its a bit hard to tame the 200s. What year is it? The newer ones have adjustable powervalves.
For a 200 the best thing to buy would probably be an 11oz or 13oz flywheel weight. I have a 13oz on my yz. That paired with a softer powervalve governer spring makes it feel like a tractor. You can also retard the timing 1° which will calm down the powerband kick. Im yet to try this.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Ummm its a bit hard to tame the 200s. What year is it? The newer ones have adjustable powervalves.
For a 200 the best thing to buy would probably be an 11oz or 13oz flywheel weight. I have a 13oz on my yz. That paired with a softer powervalve governer spring makes it feel like a tractor. You can also retard the timing 1° which will calm down the powerband kick. Im yet to try this.

Mine is the 05 200

Is it true that I'd need to register the ktm knowing that I'm based in nsw?

Yep 500 s ...

Their indicators double up as "pull over " blue strobe like flashing units .. Very impressing . Got pulled over twice that day ..

Is it worth doing a revs check & paying the $25 fee for this, knowing that the bike is a MX & hasn't been registered?

Is it worth doing a revs check & paying the $25 fee for this, knowing that the bike is a MX & hasn't been registered?
Marko i always spend the money to ensure the bike im buying hasnt been stolen. Even if it hasnt been registered, if it has been stolen and reported it will come up on the system. Always better to be safe than sorry when youre about to invest a few thousand into a bike. Cheap insurance

Marko i always spend the money to ensure the bike im buying hasnt been stolen. Even if it hasnt been registered, if it has been stolen and reported it will come up on the system. Always better to be safe than sorry when youre about to invest a few thousand into a bike. Cheap insurance

I did the revs check & all is clear.
I test rode the bike today & gave it a good push thru all the gears - far out this thing has got some serious legs, its amazing how much power it makes being a single cylinder 250 4t...it absolutely howls & picks up the front wheel very nicely :)

On the dirt i bet its a handful but i like it, nice linear power & responsive with great control!

Hmmm im sure you can change the ignition settings to calm it down. Good luck with your purchase

I bought the bike :)
Been sitting in the garage all this time...did an oil change to freshen it up.

Where is the best place to buy the riding gear? I need everything.

Also, what is the best place to buy graphics for the plastics?

Latest posts

Back