LAMS approved bike for around $1k-1.5k

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rikchick

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I've booked in for my learners permit in September, and am looking for a 2nd hand LAMS bike for me to learn the road with. I'm not after speed or power, but want something that looks good, pref a sports style bike rather than a naked roadie or road trail bike. I'm limited with funds, and will only really use the bike on weekends or to/from work.... Will not be my main transport, as kids/family life make that impossible! So I'd like to spend around $1k on something, up to maybe $1.5k, not in a hurry and don't mind if I have to do some work on it, as I have time :)

So hit me with some suggestions.... I've been browsing eBay and gumtree and like these: yamaha fzr250, the hyosungs, the magellis, even the Honda CBR 250 or Kawasaki zzr 250 or ninja..... Just not sure about pros and cons for each of them.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yamaha fzr250 - from what i hear decent

hyosungs - dont even.. maybe if you get given one..

magellis - for a cheap bike nope..

Honda CBR 250 - jump at the opportunity at any given moment as long as its >40,000 kms in my book. but look out for things like rattles dodgy and sticking clutches etc.. Most things can be fixed cheap without issue and they use driven gear cams if i remember correctly.
I have ridden a 90's models ones (the only ones i would buy) i found the power to be adequate and very very smooth good enough to have a goof fang on and keep up a smile for quite some time..
But found it sluggish when overtaking on the smaller mountain roads i come to love.. really had to hold your speed and be on the more aggressive side..
likes to lurch when you shift gears.. gets annoying but the sound is nice :) at 20,000 rpm

or Kawasaki zzr 250 - i hear there slow but dont know much and dont see them often

ninja - Imo more usable as a commuter than the cbr.. less power however more power where you need it and better to ride to work and around (maybe not the best at 100 but does it without a problem) note i only rode a 2010 model however pretty sure they would be similar throughout the years

May i suggest some?

Postie bike (okay maybe im a bit of a fanatic) slow customisable cheap as chips (find one with rego unless its cheap where you are) Dont buy a ag model. you will not get it on the road

cbr 125 IMO dangerous however cheap as chips and can be bought easily for 1500 (i say dangerous as because it feels like riding a 50 but going slower :p ) cheap on fuel.. and is honda..

cb400 if the funds can stretch...

Go for a larger bike if you can 2nd hand lams approved.. if you know how to ride the lams list is just annoying but a good idea for 70% of this spastic society..

Personally id buy a 2/hand off someone (loan or something) that never really rode it and wants maybe 600 more than market value (always assume market value is when your done with it with the kms) and then when you are done try and get the same value for it... imo best way to do it and keep your hands clean..

2nd hand bikes good things to look for.. dirty bike. general care. Big thing is break discs, as because they can cost alot of money to replace. Damaged fairings, no go if the bikes onlyworth 1k not sure on the regs where you are but here in vic all the clips need to be pretty much spot on and lights. marks on the forks, bent forks, pitting forks, pitting rear shock and of cause leaking oil from the motor and suspension (remember the fork seals are easy to do but are a great bargaining tool)
Depending on the bike eg.. ninja if it has a warn cam chain its cheap to fix yourself (ish needs some tools) but can be picked up nice and cheap for that reason..

Im guessing you know all the stuff i just wrote but its better to repeat it i guess..

Also ninjas are pretty slow with a top speed sitting up about 120 or 140 sometimes tucked 140-160 sometimes. On a large down hill ive heard they can hit 180

Cbrs re quite fast got no numbers on them but the hp figures speak for themselves.. I really disliked the lurching each gear.. but i guess you learn to ride around that (only got to ride it briefly)

I had one of the first hyosung gt 250's in south australia back in 2005, i bought it as demo model with 3000 km's. I never had a problem with it other than needing to adjust the clutch on a ride in 40 degree heat and I put 20,000 plus km's on it, gave it an absolute hiding.
I used to keep up with guys on bigger bikes and other supposed better quality smaller bikes through the twisty's. The v twin was great, i could stay in 3rd and the torque would pull easily away whilst the others were hunting up and down through the gears.
But they would get me on the straights :eek:
They aint no power machine, but they are bang for buck.

Most of the troubles tended to be once they went EFI, lots of gremlins.

Cheers boys, great to get some feedback.... I'm watching a yamaha fzr250 at the moment, not sure what the reserve is going to be, but it's only up to $700 at the moment, aparantly in good condition, but sometimes has trouble starting in cold weather..... The seller has advised it may be a carby issue.... ??? Looks like a good bike, and if it falls in the budget I'll be keen.

The ninjas are prob 2nd on my list, but hard to find in my price bracket, kinda gotta stretch to 2-2.5k to get one.

There are a few hyosungs gtr250s with fairing damage, and I've looked around u can get replacement fairing parts for around $100.... Not too bad.... My dad had a gt650r and loved it, had no probs at all and only sold it to upgrade to an 1100 Suzuki bandit.

There are quite a few 90's model cbr's floating around, so that's prob what I'll end up with.... Just gotta keep my eye out for something with not too many issues and runs smoothly enough.

Thanks for the tips!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm watching it now, awesome looking little bike with the right price tag!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Cracks in the fairing require some fibreglass a couple of beers (or wine) some sanding and then some paint over the top
Once again i would go to inspect it

Latest posts

Back