Lifan 125cc rebuild

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duff_boy

Reaction score
Hey guys, my mate bought a atomic nitrous lifan 125cc a few weeks ago. Anyway after running it in, took it for its first decent ride. Was raining and there was puddles and mud etc everywhere. My mate was riding it following me along this trail and managed to go hammering straight through a big puddle of water/mud. I got through it fine however, however he didn't make it through, got stuck - probably pussied out before he hit it lol. Now the air filter wasn't submerged but i would say it coped a good spray of water.

So i went back to find him, his engine. was stalled and he couldnt start it i managed to get it started after a lot of kicking. It was now puffing a severe amount of white smoke out the side of the engine and running like shit, but i managed to ride it back. It appears it sucked in enough water to hydraulic lock the engine, and it has blown the headgasket.

The same day a couple of hours earlier my other mates bike also an atomik nitrous(purchased at the same time) with an yx150cc in it, broke as well. Gears weren't selecting, clutch not disengaging and it was kicking back on the starter really bad. It managed to end up with a cracked crank-case, basically totaling the engine.

So i thought i may as well hit them up for both engines under warranty. So today i received a brand new yx150(its actually a 1p60fmj part number compared to the old one 1p56fmj-5) and hopefully it wont have the same problems. I wasn't expecting much for the 125cc. But they have sent me a new full engine gasket set, piston, piston pin and piston ring set.

So basically what i want to know is:
I am a diesel fitter and i rebuild big engines every day. Now if you manage hydraulic lock one of these at minimum you will bend the conrod, perhaps even throw a leg out.

I have no experience with these little engines. Haven't yet pulled the engine down to inspect it. Whats the chances it would have - damaged the conrod, or even the crankshaft, or the combustion chamber? At minimum i would expect it probably would have streched the head studs or something when the head gasket blew.

Has anyone had something like this happen before? How much damage can i expect to find? Just want to know if its worth trying to repair.

I cant help with the motor problems but the YX 150 has always had the 60mm bore as far as I know.

I cant help with the motor problems but the YX 150 has always had the 60mm bore as far as I know.

You might be right, because i just received the new yx150cc engine today and had a look at it and grabbed the part number off it. I asked my mate over msn what the part number was on the stuffed yx150cc and he told me 56 number, but he wasn't 100% so he might have been wrong. Oh well, ill have a look when he brings the bike over to fit the new engine.

lol it wouldnt stretch the head studs it would have just blown the gasket out of the head easy fix i see it all the time.:)

lol it wouldnt stretch the head studs it would have just blown the gasket out of the head easy fix i see it all the time.:)

You reckon? sweet, in that case it should be an easy fix.

Just a few questions:

Where can i expect to find bolt tensions, so i can at least tension the head properly? Also, what would i use to compress the rings? Do i need to get a really small ring compressor or can it be done by hand?

One more, how is the cam timed and how much should i set the valve clearances to?

Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back