lifan 140 noise in gearbox in 3rd gear only

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slick 50

Reaction score
Hi Guys ,
Got a problem with my lifan 140 ,
It tends to crunch or slipping on the cogs in 3rd gear only ,
1st 2nd and 4th it is fine ,
I have it split at the moment and all gears are fine , there are no wear to any of the cogs ,
I did notice that the clutch basket has a bit of movement in it as in you can move it in and out and also a bit of movemnt from side to side ,
WOULD IT BE THE CLUTCH BASKET ???

Any one else had this problem and what to do to fix it ,
Thanx in advance , Cheers Rick

OK , i have ruled out that it is not a clutch problem by transfering my clutch into my sons 140 and all is well ,
Could it be the selector that is making it do this ,
Any help would be most grateful ,
Cheers , Rick

Same problem

G'day mate.
I got exactly the same problem yesterday in my motor. I have seen one other do the same thing but it was not fixed. I have no idea what is causing the problem as I have not seen the inside of the gearbox yet, but if you are saying there is no visible damage I would like to know if anybody has fixed this problem.
Cheers ride on MSO

I'm almost certain it's a bent shift fork or something, I don't know the exact name sorry.

Hey Guys ,
Fixed the problem
It was the shift fork and it was not bent ,
The problem was that it has actualy worn the part of the shift fork away ,
I had a spare 125 motor in the shed and i used it as a donor

So to any one else experiencing this problem with your lifan ,
you have to split the box and remove the gear sets and the shift drum ,
both shift forks are identical so you can swap them around even from a 125,
good luck and thanks for the replys

Thanks alot for that info brother.

Cheers mate, Now I don't have to throw away those cases. I also have a spare 125 motor. I have not split the crank case before, where did you get the right tool for the job. I would have asked this earier but have been on holidays. Cheers Ride on MSO.

They are very simple to work on ,
experiment with the 125 first and then this will help you with the 140 ,

The only tools i needed was some impact sockets which i modified to fit the nuts holding the oil slinger and clutch
Clutch is a 17mm
cant remember the oil slinger but just measure it up

It also helps when you have a compressor and rattle gun as it make the task a lot easier ,
hope this helps

Great news.

Thanks again mate I suspected you would need pullers to split these case's. I've had every thing else in an out case's just not gear box or crank.
Can you post any photo's of the damaged shift fork. that would help alot of people I'm sure in the future.
Cheers riide on MSO

Latest posts

Back