Loncin Problem

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonner

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a bit of a problem I need some advice on. I have a 110cc Loncin that had a faulty starter motor. I rebuilt the starter with new parts from a similar starter I bought & it works fine. Problem I have is it wont crank the engine over, I have removed the side cover & can see the starter spinning the larger sprocket over when the starter button in depressed, however it is freewheeling & not turning the crank. If I turn the flywheel over by hand it drives the larger starter sprocket, I turned over the sprocket by hand expecting it to freewheel thinking there was a sheared key or something but discovered it was under compression. The flywheel does not turn the sprocket if I turn it anti clockwise which I assume is correct & does turn the sprocket if I turn it clockwise. Some advice would be helpful before I disassemble further. Tips on disassembley would also be helpful.

p.s. I need the electric start as it is in a quad & has no kickstarter.

Thanks Tonner

G-day RD, Yeah I assume so, all I had to do was replace the plastic carrier that holds the little contact blocks. Someone told me today the auto's have a start clutch in behind the hub with the magnets in it (whatver its called) & maybe it has failed. :confused: I have been thinking about it since it stopped working & I think the starter may have still been operating (spinning ) even with the cracked carrier & the fault I still have is in fact the original fault with not cranking the engine over & not a faulty starter. Can you remove the hub without a puller?

Someone must have had to do this repair before me surely.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Just in case someone else comes looking, the start clutch is located behind the flywheel. In my case it was bolted to the flywheel. It consists of a machined ring with 4 rollers mounted on tapered tracks around the inside diameter. The idea is that the starter can start to spin without load before moving the rollers up the tapered track to lock onto the inner hub on the crank. This locks everything up & spins the crank. The rollers aparently shatter or get flat spots on them rendering them useless for the job intended.
As for getting to it remove the l.h. side cover, I used an oil filter chain wrench to lock the flywheel enable me to remove the nut that holds it in place. A standard 6" 3 leg puller had the flywheel off easily. A word of warning, the woodruff key on the crank is rather small be sure to properly align with the keyway in the flywheel during re-assembley.
Good luck I hope it helps someone one day.:)

Latest posts

Back