loose chain

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throtl

Reaction score
Just bought a new bike and the chain is loose. How can I safly and properly tighten it and how tight should it be. Does it need wd40 or anything ?
Thanks.

chain lube would help

undo wheel nuts not all the way undo. and you will see little bolts in the side of your fork at the end, screw em in to give it more slack screw it out to tightn

using your chain adjusters, which will push/pull the rear axel. Undo the rear axel a little, then adjust the little bolts which push/pull the axel.

Hard to say how tight, you dont want it tight but not too loose, should be able to move teh chain up and down about 1cm easily in teh middle of front and rear sprockets.

Its important to take it for a little ride are u hav adjusted it, pop a few mono's then re-check the tension. Always remember to do up your axel bolt aswell ;-)

using your chain adjusters, which will push/pull the rear axel. Undo the rear axel a little, then adjust the little bolts which push/pull the axel.

Hard to say how tight, you dont want it tight but not too loose, should be able to move teh chain up and down about 1cm easily in teh middle of front and rear sprockets.

Its important to take it for a little ride are u hav adjusted it, pop a few mono's then re-check the tension. Always remember to do up your axel bolt aswell ;-)

hahaha pop a few mono's :) LOL

So you guys are saying loosen the bolts, dont pull the wheel out at all, then adjust the little screw so it moves toward the oposite direction of the wheel nut. Can this be done without lifting the bike.

hahaha pop a few mono's :) LOL

So you guys are saying loosen the bolts, dont pull the wheel out at all, then adjust the little screw so it moves toward the oposite direction of the wheel nut. Can this be done without lifting the bike.

nah lift the bike on to a milk crate or similar so the back wheel is off the ground, the chain should have 15 to 25 mm vertical movement (slack)
when fully tightend to avoid sprocket damage

doesnt need to be lifted, and yes. The little bolts will give alot more force than you pulling it.

When you adjust the chain adjuster bolts, adjust them evenly so the chain and wheel stay straight....

If you adjust 1 side more than the other the chain wont feed onto the sprockets straight, and will cause heaps of wear...

A standard DID brand 420 chain should cost about $30...

When you adjust the chain adjuster bolts, adjust them evenly so the chain and wheel stay straight....

If you adjust 1 side more than the other the chain wont feed onto the sprockets straight, and will cause heaps of wear...

Yeah thats what a mate of mine said you have to be carefull. I done what you guys said, very easily done but its come loose again.

Also the left hand large axel screw doesnt tighten. When I went to loosen it it was already loose.

Dude the axle is like a big bolt you only have to undo the nut on the right hand side to loosen the lot. the tension on the chain should be checked with you or a mate sitting on the bike, preferably with the swingarm and axle in a horizatal line to the ground as this is when the chain has to reach the furtherst so is under the most presure and as no idea said about 1-1.5 cm is fine for the slack. The standard chains on these bikes are pretty crappy and will keep streching so a new one would help or just keep adjusting till you've got coin for a better one.

The Chinese chains are terrible.. they stretch and stretch and stretch... then break...

Spend the $30 on a D.I.D chain (or similar decent quality chain) ... if you don't it'll end up costing more replaceing your sidecover and magneto pickup ect....

Latest posts

Back