Lower Triple Clamp Steering Bearing Removal

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperdallas

Reaction score
This arvo when I was cleaning my bike, I noticed that the lower bearing in my GPX Alloy steering stem had failed for some reason. So to get a better look, I pulled off the front wheel, took the forks off and then the number plate to get a better view. It appears the lower head stem bearing was 2mm too big and never really sat flush in the cup and had disintegrated.

So my question is, I have a replacement bearing to put on it but how in heck do you get the stem off to replace the lower bearing?

Any ideas and has anyone else encountered this before and had managed to get it undone?

I used a big socket once or a pair or multi grips or vice grips works well to. I think you're talking about the big nut on the stem that you need to take off to get the stem out.

Just take the nut off and give the stem a light tap and it should come out. My bearing sticks out like 5mm but i haven't have a problem with it yet.

good luck :)

is your frame a crf styled copy ? if so, u need a crf 50 style steerring stem, press it into ur forks, and buy the standard crf 50 bearings and cups. (top ID of bearing is 22.5mm, bottom 24mm) and both bearings fir into cups with a 41mm OD

^^that is all relevant if you have the crf frame.

It's the lower bearing at the base of the head stem. Unless I can get the stem out of the lower clamp, I'm gonna have to buy a new set of clamps :(

well, the gpx steering stem is pressed in iirc?
you'd have to take it to a mechanics/engineering shop to get them to press it ouit, but being alloy there is a chance it could break.

whats this press nonsense?

Big flat head screwdriver and a really big hammer is all thats ever needed. If that doesn't work, get an even bigger hammer

i wouldnt hit it with a hammer, they are pressed in, several people have had this problem before. hitting it with a hammer will only break it, and would be quite annoying, i can assure you. i got my triple clamps pressed out, it cost me nothing, it took the mechanic 5 mins of setting up, and then 2 more mins to press it out. even if you have to pay 20 bucks, its better than having to buy a whole new triple clamp set.

when i replaced my bearings i just broke the bottom bearing out with a flat head and hammer, i went vertically until it split the bearing case and then bam it slid off the stem....

Dremel mate. Most amazing thing ever created.
Sounds like your talking about getting the inner race from the bearing off if I'm reading this correctly.
If so. Cut multiple slots around the bearings inner with a cutting disc. Don't go too deep or you'll risk hitting the stem.
Once that's done a big hammer and a flat blad screw driver normally breaks apart the bearing.
Hope this help

Latest posts

Back