Making your own supermoto peg sliders

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterSpoon

Reaction score
Hi, in this tutorial I will be taking you threw the steps of how to make your own supermoto peg sliders for your pitbike. These are a budget option that I will be talking about and if you already have the tools should cost you under $2 a pair in materials.

So what you will need
- your pegs
- a plastic cutting board (go to a catering supply shop, can choose your color and I think I used 12mm thick board something like 250mm x 400mm but should get about 10 sets out of the 1 board and cost under $10)
- some good strong zip ties
- a felt pen
- a rotary tool / dremel type tool
- routing bit for your rotary tool

Ok to start with I will show you what tool / setup I used to make mine
tools.jpg

Now I have thought about it a bit and it may be possible to use a drill press but not sure if it would spin fast enough as was using my tool at about 15,000rpm from memory.

So here goes

remove the pegs from your bike to make this easier.
Place the cutting board flat on your workbench and sit the peg in the corner of the board. Place it so you have the required material depth and try get the right space from the side to save you having to cut it
pen%20it.jpg

next you want to get your rotary tool and set your depth cutter so it is only cutting about 2-3mm deep and remove material from where the peg would sit. Basically making channels for the peg itself to sit down into
cut%20it.jpg

Ok so by now your peg should fit snugly into the grooves you have cut out for it. By making these grooves when the peg hits the ground most of the force should be directly material to peg force instead of any attaching stuff. This should make the setup stronger and make it resist wanting to simply brake off the bottom of the peg. Next you want to cut around the outer border of the outer edge grooves but leave some gap (depending on how much you intend them to scrape may change how much you leave) For these ones I left about 3mm of material
all%20cut%20out.jpg

From here simply place your peg on the cut out slider and drill a couple of holes inline with the low parts of you peg spikes and zip tie the slider to the peg. Note In this picture I have used very poor quality zip ties and they were rubbish, use some good quality ones and they will stay put. I have good ones on now. Also the reason you use the low parts of the peg spikes it to avoid interference of your boot so when you put your zip ties in place try make sure they do not protrude higher then the peg spikes.

top%20finished.jpg

side%20finished.jpg

After all that has been done simply refit your pegs and away you go. These should stop or at least reduce damage to your pegs when you drop your bike on the bitumen and will save the track.

And some proof they don't mind dragging along the road at pace
close%20up%20peg%20scraping.jpg

I just made some of these.... for plastic I used an old Everglide mouse pad I had laying around. I dont have a dremel so couldnt put the indents into them. I just put some extra cable ties on. Havent tried them yet but I would assume they work.

cheers spoon :)

85171940un1.jpg

Latest posts

Back