Mini motard wheelsets

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterSpoon

Reaction score
Don't have much dirt where you ride? wanna try out mini motard? you need a set of these !
12inchmotard1.jpg

They are a motard wheel set to suit pit bikes.
What you will expect to get from most sellers in the package is
1 x complete front wheel (bearings, hub, spokes, rim, tube, tyre)
1 x complete rear wheel (bearings, hub, spokes, rim, tube, tyre)
Although this is all that comes in the package from most sellers I strongly recommend if you are still planning on doing some dirt riding and using your dirt wheels to grab front and rear disks and a rear sprocket to make changing wheel sets a breeze.

What to look for when buying mini motard wheel sets are ones that will suit your bike, you basically want as wide of a rim as you can fit and get easily. Off the shelf you will find that the biggest you can normally buy is 12 x 2.15 and i strongly recommend getting them. The rim size is normally written on the side of the rim somewhere and will look like this
rim%20size.jpg

If you hunt around and import some rims yourself you may be able to get some 2.5's or even 2.75's but you may have some fitment issues with different bikes and the rims themselves will not be cheap (then you still need hubs, spokes, bearings, tubes, tyres)

Fitment wise was ok, hubs were the same spacing as my existing ones so no different spacers or anything required but will vary from bike to bike. This is what the hubs on most of these wheel sets will look like
Front hub
front%20hub.jpg

Rear Hub
rear%20hub.jpg

I did have issues with one of the tyres not seating on the rim properly and took some effort to get them to sit right, details here
http://www.miniriders.com.au/forum/tech-talk/15034-seating-minimotard-tyres-12-x-2-15-rims.html

Quality wise they are ok, rims are not perfect but what china rim is? Tyres are only cheap but will outgrip a knobby anyday so for low budget fun will get you on the track and get you into mini motard. If you want to get more serious simply replace with better tyres after you wear the kendas out. Alternately most sellers will sell you the wheels without tyres and tubes for a reduced price.

The verdict?
At the end of the day you have basically doubled the usefulness of your bike for a couple of hundred dollars. If you have a track that you can ride locally it would be something to seriously consider. Motard is normally described as so much fun it should be illegal and even racing is cheap as.

i had same problem with tyre not seated on rim but a bitta soapy water and air and she was saughted

i will be using another set for my rx as u can go past a set of 2.15 compared to the narrow 1.85 MV offers

I just bought a set also. Like you said, doubles the bikes usefulness for $200.
They're sitting in the living room wrapped up like a ball of cheese at the moment, can't wait to get them on tonight.

I bought a set of these off ebay a while back for $100 bux.
Just need to get a set of discs and sprocket to suit.
Where is the best place to buy discs and sprocket from?

probs DHZ
buy buy like a 37 or above for the sprocket
and disks he can do also but ask for the largest dia. available

Why do they need to be 21" and 18"? Full sized 'tards usually run 17" front and rear, but wheel sets for full sized 'tards are very very expensive.

im with squeeby
on all good motard or supertard bike sits a even 17"x17" setup
anything other than same size wheels gives a faded weird feel like running ur 14"fx12"r dirtys for tarding

hmm yes and no boys
alot of the proper supermotard race bikes are now going to 16.5" fronts with the 17" rear. Is supposed to reduce front wheel patter and make for better cornering.

Just about any pitbike shop should be able to help you out with disks and sprockets also. I got mine from DHZ and have no complaints. Do note that if you change what sprocket size you run on the rear that you may have to alter / replace your chain. Also getting the biggest diameter disk that he has may not be a real good option..... there 221mm rotors and will need custom caliper locating brackets made to make them fit.
I would say check how the rotors on there atm are going with pad coverage and work out ideally what size rotors your bike wants and order them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back