Mini tard :D ??

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam93

VIC MR Ride Day Organiser
Reaction score
Yet again im coming to Mr for the expert help on pitty's :)

With a full time job on the holidays and work placement starting im getting some cash flow again finially, and my 125 build all done and paid for its time for another :p he he. Im really interested in building/getting a new mini motard bike now knowing that their is a dandenong track :)

I'm not sure in which direction i should be going in as far as building or buying?
I dont want to pay to much and i want to be on the track asap.

My options are:
Build a custom bike, with:
Yx140 w/ Z40 cam kit
Crf50 style frame
12" front (2.15) 12" rear (2.50)
Usd forks (from matts new build the black ones)
Fastace rear shock
Oko 26mm w/ uni
and then a sht load of bling bits but thats going to set me back about
$1500 and thats with importing most of it. so if i was going to buy here around $2200-$2500

OR OR OR

I could buy a Atomik Nitrous 160 or the new 170 when it comes out (if it comes out)

Buy a new set of 12" rims front and back and some slicks from DHZ to get me racing asap. and progressing my skills. and obviously change that sticker kit :p haha.

And then as i progress add better rear shock, pro tapers, Better coil and lead, OKO, unifilter, 1/4 turn, bling bits like gear shifter, kick started dress up kit all that. and it would actually be cheaper with a bigger motor just wont look as good :p

Whats your thoughts? what should i do? buy a bike start racing or wait it out for only a half decent set up anyway?

Thanks
Sam.

Also add sticker kit to start haha.

go midsize mate, klx something like that... But yeah good luck, motard seems to be the new black :p

Buy a new set of 12" rims front and back and some slicks from DHZ to get me racing asap. and progressing my skills. and obviously change that sticker kit :p haha.

them Innova Super Motoard Slick Tyre aint worth the coin, get more grip with knobby they are a hopeless tire. and all the ones i seen been made out of round.

Corey what do you think i should run then? ive heard a lot of rave about tt92's or something like that? and vee's from the usa dont know much about all that i thought judt dhz be easy. and it costs a lot more for a klx style :( gah

I'm another vote with Cory the innova's are not a tyre that will get you to the pointy end but they are much cheaper than tt92's. Last time I got new tt's I think they were around $100 each, but they do last well. I believe the sava's are a more gripy tyre but I haven’t tried them yet.
As for the question of build or buy, I feel that building always costs more but the satisfaction level is higher, buying will always see you on the track sooner.

Tina

Yeah sava's are pretty dear, dearer than tt92's... But they are very soft, I was reading on a forum a guy stacked his bike because of it just got too gooy and he went over the bars or something????

Where did you get your tt's from tina?

I order em in from a local bike shop, most can get em adfast is the importer. Any shop that has an account with adfast should be able to order em for you. Just tell em what you want (Dunlop tt92 100 and 120) they will most probably not know of em just tell em to contact adfast.

Tina

Sam, I wanna get on the track ASAP too; I was looking at the Atomik and modding over time technique too... Having ridden a motard on the road, my advice for starting out is to get the stickiest tyre you can afford. It'll save you a lot of aches and pains in the long run (shit tyres are only fun if you wanna practice drifting :p)!

Had a guy come and look at my CB250 today (need to sell before mini motard'ing), didn't even turn up with a helmet and mine wouldn't fit, needless to say "I'll think about it", lol.

Hopefully it sells soon!

Alright we will see on what my funds are like at the time lol. how long would the inovas last?

Krazed sounds good mate im thinking the nitrous is a serious go ahead i just need to start saving those pennys now, the first mod will be the 12" motard rims with the best tyres i can afford at the time. and drifting? who doesnt like that? haha i can understand though wouldnt be fun comming off cause you have no grip. Hopefully you sell that bike we can both go down to dande one night?

you will want to get yourself a leather jacket... Don't wait until it's too late... Motocross gear is useless on tarmac..

What else do i need for track? for now can i use a dirtbike helmet?

Okay to start gear wise?

Leather jacket?
what else should i have at bear minimum just to get on the track and ill build it all up as i go :)

helmet, goggles, leather jacket, or if you can afford it leather race suit, jeans, boots, leather gloves...

I already have helmet, goggles, jeans, gloves. so ill buy a racing leather jacket asap along with boots :) Thanks for everyones post's being a pretty productive thread :)

*Edit* Dads taking me to Vic markets last time we went their was good motorbike leather jackets :)
Should have one before i even get the bike :)

Last edited:
Come over to Dandy next Wednesday, and say Hi to all the guys.
I was a bit like you to begin with.
I had use of my lil sisters Ciniworx 125 on cr50 frame, It so far has proven very useful in gaining my skills and confidence to progress to something with a bit more power.
But I have weighed up everything and considered a build myself and put the budget at a touch over the 3k mark, but that with the best of everything and fully worked engine.
But I couldn't wait that long to build something so I just bought grnman's motovert which has the best suspension and frame at the best possible price.
It will get me going and over time I will make the necessary mods to the engine brakes and ignition, but as I have found out track time is far more worth the money than a hooted up engine. If you don't have the skills to use the power you have you wont be fast anyway.
But come over and have a chat, Danny who runs the wed nights will tell you exactly what he wants in terms of bike, gear and all of those kinds of things, and you and meet everyone, see what they are running and ask all the questions, they helped me and have helped a few others to,.
But check out the last two pages of the official Motard sticky I have posted a few things on there and there are a couple of links to some pics of motards.

Thats true Barnesd09 rather track time than a hotted up engine...

Ill try to come down asap, ill find out tonight if i can or not :)
Thanks for all the advice mate will hopefully be seeing you their!

Cheers guys!

NEW ATOMIK NITROUS 160CC PIT TRAIL MOTOR DIRT BIKE - eBay Other Trail Bikes, Trail Bikes, Motorcycles, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 20-Mar-10 19:00:45 AEDST)

Thats the nitrous i would be going for...really i would also buy a second hand good condition 14/12 bike because im replacing a lot of it anyway...depending on the price...

Where can i get some half decent motard rims cheap?
I have come up with these?

Front:
DHZ Mini Moto

Rear:
DHZ Mini Moto

Im going to get all my small bits from china again like my first build like:
Better levers, gear shifters, kick starter, plugs, gaskets, plastics, sticker kits, coil and leads etc all the little bits normally get the lot under half price of egay :)

yeah they are the rims i used to get started. just buy those and wack some tires on them and away you go. done on the track. depending on what rims you were running you just might have to make different pacers up.

dont feel bad as to spending the money on good tires as the bikes are only 65kg and a set will last you ages, like a whole year of riding.

and listen to corey, i havent really seen anyone on a crf50 size.

if your going to spend 2k.
you might want to spend the cash on a good bike for lets say $1500, then buy DHZ rims for $130 and tires $300. and then sort out the shock settings on your half decent bike and your flying.
some of the quick guys at the track are riding pitpro's that they have sorted out.

you can always get the engine bug an drop whateva you want in later.

Latest posts

Back