MiniMotard suspension setups

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterSpoon

Reaction score
Ok, figured we needed a topic to discus what you do different when setting up your suspension for minimotard.

Now still being fairly new to the whole minimotard scene myself have not really had a chance to try out different setups. However I am currently changing the oil in my forks and depending on fork leg taper will be dropping them threw the triples a bit. I have read that basically anything from 10w to 30w oil is ok in USD china forks but being for motard I am thinking towards the heavier side would better suit? maybe like a 20w? any advice from those tried and tested? (nothing special you have to do with changing the oil in china USD's ?)

Now onto the rear shock, now am led to believe that cranking up the spring preload to keep the back end higher and therefor decreasing the fork rake can be helpful, opinions? In my case I already have a heavy spring in the rear and won't be wanting to raise the rear anymore. My fastace BS33AR rear shock has the air valve in the top, is there a different pressure to standard that most have found is best to run for best performance on the black stuff?

btw the bike that I am playing with is a 2008 Pitpro 140XR

that "air valve" is actually a pressure realease valve
cranking up the preload will not make the ass end sit higher either

that "air valve" is actually a pressure realease valve
cranking up the preload will not make the ass end sit higher either

you sure about that Gruntley?
I have heard alot of people talking about what pressure to put in the rear shock and normally by using a mountain bike pump, doesn't look like a pressure release valve to me either.

Also cranking up the preload will make the ass end sit higher when the rider is on it due to a decrease in rider sag. Think about it, soft spring will have to compress more before it can take the weight of the rider where a stiffer spring or one that has had the preload wound up won't have to move as much.
have a watch of this for more information
YouTube - BBR Suspension Tips

I have recently started racing Mini Motard at Kembla Grange Go-kart track, and i had a lot of trouble finding the right tyre and suspension setting and after a few stacks and some broken ribs (learning the hard way), i finally have a nice setup. The problem is that you need to get heat into the front tyre to stop it washing out, which was near impossible on standard tyres & suspension settings, but it can be done........here is what i now run>

1. Tyres> Michellin Boppers 120/70-12"
2. Tyre Pressure> 18-22 psi
3. Front Suspension> Rebound and Compression> Dead Slow.
4. Rear Suspension> doesnt really matter but i have set it medium.

These settings work well for me, and may not do the same for you, but If you have any secrets that you would like to share, please post here or start a new thread.

hey bud whered u get the bopper's from and how much?

on the rear shock u take all pre load off the spring add alot of compound and slow the rebound up

wif the front i got upgradeed 5kva springs from the stock 3kva spring wif 10w oil wif hard compound and slow rebound

I dropped the front forks through the clamps and it made a HUGE difference. I dropped them a fair bit, maybe 2cm, and it sharpened up the steering, felt smoother through turns....
I now have AS-02 on my new bike, once i got the fastace rear ill set it up and report back

Good to hear that you got a Bopper, i know that michellin is currently of of stock on these, but you can reorder from any bike shop with a michellin account. My rims are pretty wide, so the 120/70-12" were a good fit. Does anybody know of any other Motard races.....?

ur talking about the tt92? i take it
100 front 120 rear
not getting brought into the country anymore :(

Latest posts

Back