Minitarding at Wakefield park:b_grind:

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timeeh

Go Go Gadget Moderator
Supporter
Reaction score
Minitarding at Wakefield park

So last firday i had my first ever track day. Thought (as a joke) I might bring the Mini to the track just to see how it goes, wasn't expecting to much out of it other than a laugh. Anyway took it out for 2 runs during the day, the first time being my first ever run around the track. I was warned by the marshals that my bike may be removed during the session due to the obvious speed differences (the rest were all road bikes, except 1 Madas) So anyway away i went, and then started to overtake a few and even chase a Duc for a while around the back of the circut. Best fun i've had in ages, managed 101kph down the straight so hopefully next time I will put a few extra teeth on the front and might get 110? Anyway below is a link to a few pics if anyones interested + I also took my ZX7-R which you'l also see in the pics (the dark purple one)
https://plus.google.com/photos/105392951416190493628/albums/5741457772272731137
Also here is my first ever try at video editing, it's nothing special, think i might need to get Atomikboy to help me ;) Anyway here it is. Hopefully get some onboard video up later this week.
[youtube]7Uhjk0SUv1M[/youtube]

Last edited:
Awesome work Timmy!!

Video came up good. So awesome seeing you catch up and pass all those big bikes. haha

Looks like the bike went pretty damn well?

Thanks for sharing.

That's Awesome. I did the same thing December last year at Broadford. I too was warned about the speed difference but when you start overtaking people and can lap quicker than 'Boy racers' on thier R6's and 1's people open thier eyes and take note.

Since then a junior now races his Motovert 160 against all the Metrakit 70's, 80's and the Honda CRF150's and is always on the podium.

I was running a YX160 with a V2 and a pwk28 and 18/34 gearing and was comfortably able to achieve 145km/h down the straight on the gps. With a new custom sproket we are going for 160km/h+ at Phillip Island in 2 weeks. I'm not sure what you are running but there is heaps more potential for you.:thumbup:

Thats awesome, 145 is heaps better, where'd you get your sprokets from? I could only find a 37 from DHZ... iv'e got a standard YX160 block with 26mm OKO + daytona/lifan stator (slightly advanced) + the CDI and coil to suit. I'm thinking i might start with a larger carby, and look a V2 head down the track. P.S better make sure someones recording that, it's a bloody long straight at the island :p

Thats awesome, 145 is heaps better, where'd you get your sprokets from? I could only find a 37 from DHZ... iv'e got a standard YX160 block with 26mm OKO + daytona/lifan stator (slightly advanced) + the CDI and coil to suit. I'm thinking i might start with a larger carby, and look a V2 head down the track. P.S better make sure someones recording that, it's a bloody long straight at the island :p

You can get a DRP 18t front sproket from Jamie at Classic 50's or Dom at Motobike city in Ferntree Gully. as for the 34t rear, Braaap have them sittign on the shelf. Also if your after a 30t or smaller rear sprocket, call Dom, he may be able to guide you on getting one made.

With a standard head I would see 130km/h as about the limit as you need the V2 for the extra revs. But running a 28mm carb will help alot with the torque and power required to start pushing through the air over 100km/h. Also cut down or put on a crf50 front guard, it will help with stability and aerodynamics, so will pulling in your side fenders, tucking in your elbows, toes, knees and having your chin behind and below the bar pad. at 145km/h just raising your head wipes 10k's off instantly.

Thanks Barnes, I was trying the whole tucking in and even smashing my knees as hard as i could against the tank to keep the guards in, but at 6'8" i don't "tuck in" so well :p thanks again for the advice, I might just go with the sprokets to start, as it was hitting the rev limit pretty quick down the straight, just not sure how well it'll pull up the hill, hopefully find out soon :)

Pretty good test to see how the Nitrous motor holds up at these sort of revs for extended periods..
Would have pissed some people off for sure on their big bikes seeing an atomik take them...
Probably thinking "What the hell is an Atomik anyway?"

Pretty good test to see how the Nitrous motor holds up at these sort of revs for extended periods..
Would have pissed some people off for sure on their big bikes seeing an atomik take them...

Pretty much LOL yea i was wondering how the engine would hold up, i only took it out for 2 of my 6 sessions, it seemed fine all round the track BUT down the straight the poor little motor was given HELL. oh well once it detonates Iv'e got a great excuse to get the 184 upgrade :) If i fork out 700 bucks while it's still running my wife will kill me, or at the very least remove my testicles, either way, not a good outcome :)

My YX160 was originally DVDRip's out of his Nitrous. Since than I have done many race meets with it and never missed a beat. A V2, 3 pistons, a barrel hone, a Daytona ignition and genuine pwk28 and I still wouldn't look at replacing it. People bag them, but like ALL engines they just need some love.

Latest posts

Back