modifying a rear shock

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zumanity

Reaction score
i bought a new gas shock for the rear of my china.
now its arrived ive noticed its about 3cm too long and wont fit.
is there a way to shorten it by 3cm?
cheers

not really you could try moving the shock mounts but that is a big job, or set the static sag to be more but that really isnt the best way of achieving what you want

what is the standard length of the shocks everyone else has/buys? out of interest.
maybe these bikes are different somehow.
all other parts like 1/4 turn throttles, bars ,rims ,brakes are the same as most other bikes so makes me wonder.

the bikes have a lifan 125 motor as standard and all is sweet with that and the frame is crf style so i thought the rear shock would be common

the shock i bought is 270mm in length.
after i removed the old one i realized its only 235mm.
its my f#*kup....i should of measured the original off the bike before i went ahead with the new one.

the length varies from model to model. You got to measure yours when looking for a new 1

the shock i bought is 270mm in length.
after i removed the old one i realized its only 235mm.
its my f#*kup....i should of measured the original off the bike before i went ahead with the new one.
Put it in the classifieds. Someone here might need 1

thanks mate.
ive got the shock apart and am looking at taking 30mm off the inner can from the top, where the top mount bolts on. ie....unscrewing the top mount from the inner can and cutting it down

ok.
i cut 30mm from the inner can, put it all back together and it was way too stiff.
worked like a glorified pogo stick......
took it back apart and replaced the spring with the one out of the old shock.
its excellent now!
went riding yesterday for a few hours and its going strong.just right for the style of riding i do.

yep happy camper here!

i got my new alloy rear rim today so on with the quest to lighten the bike!!!!

Latest posts

Back