Motard size?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

looneyboy89

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a new bike for motarding and just wanted to see what most people are running - crf50 or crf70 size bikes?

I've had a look at both and think the crf70 sized bikes are too wide and 'sluggish' - meaning long and low.

I've also read a few places only let people run up to 150cc. (I am from nsw and don't plan on going interstate any time soon) Would places let a 160 run? Or strictly 150? I can't remember where these places were but I have seen it.

Cheers
Ben

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a new bike for motarding and just wanted to see what most people are running - crf50 or crf70 size bikes?

I've had a look at both and think the crf70 sized bikes are too wide and 'sluggish' - meaning long and low.

I've also read a few places only let people run up to 150cc. (I am from nsw and don't plan on going interstate any time soon) Would places let a 160 run? Or strictly 150? I can't remember where these places were but I have seen it.

Cheers
Ben

Hey Ben, Welcome to Miniriders.

Both CRF 50 and 70 style are fine, it more comes down to the rider and what he/she is comfortable on.

160cc is the limit for racing, but if you planning just to do track days and have some fun then you can go as high as your wallet allows.

There are not many factory motards available, most guys build them.

DHZ now have a really good quality motard available. Would still need some work done to it (Peg sliders and catch cans at minimun) before you'll be allowed on any track.

Worth a look though.

DHZ OUTLAW 160R MOTARD RACE BIKE, TWIN EXHAUST | Mini Bikes | Pitbikes | Dirt Bike Parts & Accessories | DHZ Mini Moto

(kudos to Krazed for making us (me) aware the DHZ bike was back in stock ;) )

Good luck.

MF

Hey Ben, Welcome to Miniriders.

160cc is the limit for racing, but if you planning just to do track days and have some fun then you can go as high as your wallet allows.

MF

This is not correct as some tracks that i run on here in Vic are an absolute limit of 160cc for insurance purposes under motorcycle Australia. this means either 2 stroke or 4 stroke. so i could run a KTM150 just for practice.

I am from nsw and don't plan on going interstate any time soon

This is not correct as some tracks that i run on here in Vic are an absolute limit of 160cc for insurance purposes under motorcycle Australia. this means either 2 stroke or 4 stroke. so i could run a KTM150 just for practice.

Just going off what i have been told about NSW tracks, a few of the QLD guys also told me this applies to there as well after i decided to take mine past 160cc.

A midsize has proven to be a very quick frame too. KLX110 style with the top 3 finishers at the Nationals last weekend running them. However from 4th onwards there were alot of crf style frames inthe mix.
But really it is all personal preference.
The DHZ package is a great start and it will get you going with not much effort. Pitpro also make a motard version of thier bikes.
For catch cans, a few zip ties and a V shot bottle will suffice.

Dave i think your wrong about Billy's (Newly crowned Aus #1) bike being a KLX. it looked and looks to me like a CRF. the plastics are for sure in these pics CRF and if you look at the front fork length they look like 645mm which would make it CRF based. look at his Cini behind in the first pic

Aus2011181.jpg
Aus2011220.jpg
Aus2011225.jpg
Aus2011228.jpg

Yeah I've been looking at the DHZ DPro 160, with some new motard wheels and tyres. I went to DHZ to have a look and sat on the DPro 140 and 160, the 140 was too low and long (like a slug as I like to refer it), I just wanted to see if there were many motarders out there on the crf50 style frames.

So they will allow 160's at Villawood?

Where else in NSW are tracks that have motard meets?

Thanks for the replies.

Ben

Yeah I've been looking at the DHZ DPro 160, with some new motard wheels and tyres. I went to DHZ to have a look and sat on the DPro 140 and 160, the 140 was too low and long (like a slug as I like to refer it), I just wanted to see if there were many motarders out there on the crf50 style frames.

So they will allow 160's at Villawood?

Where else in NSW are tracks that have motard meets?

Thanks for the replies.

Ben

Are you talking about Kart Attack in Villawood?

If so, i was talking to the guy there a few days ago, and due to work cover they no longer allow tards on there track.

Dave i think your wrong about Billy's (Newly crowned Aus #1) bike being a KLX. it looked and looks to me like a CRF. the plastics are for sure in these pics CRF and if you look at the front fork length they look like 645mm which would make it CRF based. look at his Cini behind in the first pic

Yeah it has the crf 50 plastics, but I'm pretty certain that all of Eddie's cnc midsize frames run a the klx/drz geometry. Unless he has a new crf cnc frame. I suppose that is something that someone else would be able to answer. :confused:

Aww really? Any other places for motard around?
Has anyone heard anything about the piranha motard rims?

Talking with the guy's in the UK scene where the Piranha gear is more readily available. They all reckon there crap.

If your keen on an alloy style mag, try DHZ. They now stock three (only two styles online) different motard rims (plus the std spoked types)

Motard | Wheels & Tyre | Mini Bikes | Pitbikes | Dirt Bike Parts & Accessories | DHZ Mini Moto

The Piranha rims do look the goods though.
PIRANHAPITBIKEMOTARDWHEELS_1.jpg

3514_2a.jpg

Yeah it has the crf 50 plastics, but I'm pretty certain that all of Eddie's cnc midsize frames run a the klx/drz geometry. Unless he has a new crf cnc frame. I suppose that is something that someone else would be able to answer. :confused:

Bills frame is CRF 50 style, it's the older model before the klx/drz midsized models.

Latest posts

Back