Need Advice - PitPro or Atomik Bigfoot? (160cc)

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KtmJono_777

Reaction score
Hi all, just looking for some advice, and or peoples experience.. Basically I'm looking for a bigfoot pitbike and I'm trying to decide between the Atomik Reign 160 Bigfoot, and the PitPro 160XR 17-14 'Bigfoot' (on eBay ATM).

I'm only going to be using it maybe 5-10 times a year when I go to a friends farm to ride with my wife and friends.. My 525 is a bit of overkill for that haha.. I figure a little pitbike will be fun on the small tracks.. I wanted a bigfoot as I reckon it'll handle nicer over the terrain etc.. I had a short ride on a bigfoot a while back and it felt pretty sweet.

So I've read that DHZ's are pretty good for the money, but I can't see a bigfoot version on their site.. so which one is the better pick.. Atomik or PitPro? Don't want to spend more then around $1600 - $1700 and I want a new one.. so I can maintain it properly from the start.. no surprises :driver:

Thanks!

Jono

Hey mate you will hear a lot of opinions from a lot of people. I have a pitpro and my brother has a pitpro Bigfoot. Both bikes run great. We have 6 pitpros in the shed. They all get looked after very well and not a single problem in 2 years. I used to have an atomic 250 and it was rubbish. But apparently they have lifted their game??? But yeah I for one have a lot of experience with pitpro and I'm very pleased.

Thanks Sneezy. The build quality of the PitPro's looks good in the pics, but they are a few hundred more than the Atomiks. Good to hear you have had a good run with all of yours. Its amazing what basic setup and maintenance can do for longevity hey?

i have a pit pro to they are really good. i only got mine in april and have only had 1 problem my rear shock burst that was from mud and crap getting in the seals so i would go with pit pro.
the only reason pit pro's are more expensive is because they are better quality then atomik.

i have a pit pro to they are really good. i only got mine in april and have only had 1 problem my rear shock burst that was from mud and crap getting in the seals so i would go with pit pro.
the only reason pit pro's are more expensive is because they are better quality then atomik.

what kinda pitpro you ride mate?

i just got fastace rear shock for mine and its great

I've good experiences with both the Pitpro's and Atomiks. With four of my mates and my brother owning Atomik Reigns I can say that they are reliable as ever. They sell on eBay for a heck of alot cheaper for a bike that is pretty much the exact same as the Pitpro. SO in getting an Atomik Reign you will have over 500 left over to buy after-market parts.

Regards,
Carlton

Yeha i agree with Carlton, at the end of the day dhz, pitpros, atomiks there all very same and have a lot of the same motors, if you were looking at either something like a braaap or pitster for over 3k then yeha i wiuld do a LOT of research as thats a lot of cash to spend on a pitbike, but with the other brands there all simular so do a lil researhc and have a sus, its good if you have mates that ahve them to have a look in person =)

I've good experiences with both the Pitpro's and Atomiks. With four of my mates and my brother owning Atomik Reigns I can say that they are reliable as ever. They sell on eBay for a heck of alot cheaper for a bike that is pretty much the exact same as the Pitpro. SO in getting an Atomik Reign you will have over 500 left over to buy after-market parts.

Regards,
Carlton

Good to know thanks mate. From what I can see on ebay atm is the PitPro 160cc Bigfoot will cost me $1684.00 with postage
NEW 160cc BIGFOOT PITPRO DIRT BIKE THUMPSTAR PIT TRAIL (eBay item 370526050290 end time 18-Jul-11 10:42:52 AEST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats
and the Atomik Reign 160 Bigfoot from their site (none on ebay that I can see) will cost around $1550.00 (incl. postage).

So unless I can find better prices the PitPro will only cost me $130ish bucks more.

Yeha i agree with Carlton, at the end of the day dhz, pitpros, atomiks there all very same and have a lot of the same motors, if you were looking at either something like a braaap or pitster for over 3k then yeha i wiuld do a LOT of research as thats a lot of cash to spend on a pitbike, but with the other brands there all simular so do a lil researhc and have a sus, its good if you have mates that ahve them to have a look in person =)

Good call. I have been searching this forum and the web as much as possible.. But I agree from the looks of things that the Atomik and PitPro seem very similar in quality.. I guess it comes down to personal preference at this point then!

Thanks for all the info fellas!

Hey Mate,

Atomik put the Atomik reigns for bidding on eBay. atm there is none but when they put them up you can get them for around $500 excluding postage.

My friends have so far got Atomik Reigns for $405, $450, $550.

So hang tight and there will be more soon!

Regards,
Carlton

Hey Mate,

Atomik put the Atomik reigns for bidding on eBay. atm there is none but when they put them up you can get them for around $500 excluding postage.

My friends have so far got Atomik Reigns for $405, $450, $550.

So hang tight and there will be more soon!

Regards,
Carlton

Holy cow batman! That cheap?! Wow, ok well I'll keep an eye out for them then! That would be for a 160cc Bigfoot yeah? Thanks for the heads up. :beerchug:

I'm really taking a liking to the PitPro at the moment. I searched eBay for its completed listings and found a couple of 160cc Reigns that went for around $700.. but no bigfoots of late. I think I'll make an offer on one of the 160 PiPro Bigfoots and see if they'll sell. Surely they'll knock a few hundred of $1599.00! Paying full RRP just doesn't seem right! haha.

lol even the 140s are ok my bike started off as a big foot =)

Yeah I reckon I'll want all the power I can get (within budget) so the 160 it is. I noticed that the top of the line PitPro Bigfoot PitPro 160SE 17-14 | PitPro Dirt Bikes Australia's Largest Online Pitbike Store has a 160cc Zongshen engine as opposed to the yx 160 in the so called XR range.

If the stats are to be believed it has a possible extra 2hp and I also like how the air filter sits in the center under the seat, not stuck out the side waiting to be ripped off in a stack! Maybe a bit pricy for me tho.

So I have a plan.. I really like the PitPro 160 XR, it looks sick and has a better price tag then the 160SE 17/14.. I am however concerned that the 14/12 wheels will be fun-sappingly unstable on the terrain I'll be riding.

Some of the riding will be on relatively clean tracks, but other parts will be rocky, rutted and covered with trail clutter.. Also I am about 5"11 and 100kg with gear on, and coming from my 525 exc I will be wanting to flog every last bit of power the engine has (once run in of course :D).. So I am concerned that the messy terrain will stop me from riding the engine to its potential with smaller 14/12 wheels..

I know this is going to be very subjective, and relative to peoples experience and skill, but can anyone tell me their experience riding on 14/12's over trail clutter? Does the bike become really unstable and deflect off every rock and stick causing you to slow right down and not have fun?

I know you said you went from a bigfoot to a mini wheel setup Sneezy.. do you ride mainly clean groomed tracks or also messy trails? What been your experience? Do you think the 14.12's will suck for me on my terrain?

Thanks everyone, sorry for the long post!

Jono

jono i don't know much bout bikes. But im 6 foot 3 and weigh 90kg. i was riding my friends motovert 125cc threw sand with small rims. Gets abit unsteady but that was farely think sand. Anywhere else it handled fine. I just bought myself a 160xr, should be here next week. I couldn't see the point going a big foot after reading if you look after them they will last.

By the sound of it you'll be better off with a bigfoot, especially if you are looking at the lower end of the bike market. Once you get onto some decent suspension (especially a linkage rear), you'll find even the 14/12 setup will track fairly well on uneven/rutted/rocky terrain, but on non-adjustable suspenders you'll get your arse kicked ;)

Play the waiting game on ebay and bid on a Pitpro or Atomik, set yourself a prince limit and don't break it... Sooner or later you'll pick up a good buy. It might even pay to email Atomik/PP and hassle them to list more big foots :p

Ive got a 140 Mid size atomik and it is the best pitbike ive owned just due to the high and the way it rides. But saying that i also have A 150 Pit pro which I also love.

I really think you are better off trying to get an atomik reign bigfoot. I have ridden both and know what they are built of, and their is not a big difference in the 2 bikes. They are basically identical and handle the exact same.

I would wait around grab a reign for $500-600 then you have a lot of left over money for mods...
Ie. good tyres (kendas, bridgestones etc, Pro tapers, OKO 26mm, maybe some upgraded suspension or a V2 race head.

For the same price of the pit pro you could have a nicely modified atomik bigfoot that would run rings around the pit pro. Both basically the same, I know which path I would take.

I really think you are better off trying to get an atomik reign bigfoot. I have ridden both and know what they are built of, and their is not a big difference in the 2 bikes. They are basically identical and handle the exact same.

I would wait around grab a reign for $500-600 then you have a lot of left over money for mods...
Ie. good tyres (kendas, bridgestones etc, Pro tapers, OKO 26mm, maybe some upgraded suspension or a V2 race head.

For the same price of the pit pro you could have a nicely modified atomik bigfoot that would run rings around the pit pro. Both basically the same, I know which path I would take.

I completely agree and reps cuz you put in the effort that I was to lazy too.

Carlton

Thanks for all the replies, I ended up getting impatient and purchasing a 160XR 14/12 late last week. I've been away with work and had no internet access last week so I missed all these replies.

I can see the logic in your argument sam93 but I already went ahead with the XR. Its ok tho because I'll just see how it goes and do upgrades as I need to. I think the 14/12 will be ok and I
l'll get used to any handling difficulties.

Its good to hear everybody's experience and opinions as well. I think if I'm really finding the small wheels are killing my fun factor then I'll look at upgrading the suspension (forks/shock and if I get a larger swing arm and 17/14 wheels I can convert it to a bigfoot) Thats what the PP guy said to me anyway. but that would be last resort stuff. I reckon I'll love the smaller wheels anyway.

At the end of the day for a dirtbike, parts are relatively cheap and if upgrades are done gradually it's easy to get your bike up to scratch I reckon. I'm pretty happy for now. I'll write back with my impressions after my first few rides!

thanks guys.

Jono.

Latest posts

Back