"Need for Speed" explained

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruby

Reaction score
I watched some pretty interesting documentaries over the last couple of nights ... I'm studying engineering and human physics. It discusses how technology has advanced, like cars being faster and safer etc, due to a part of the brain that produces endorphins and adrenalin from the element of danger, such as riding really, really fast. Then there is the other part of our brain that produces the fear. This is from our caveman days. If man never had the need for fear, he would never have ventured out of the caves, hunted and eaten animals ... and invented the automobile.

Some people have a more advanced part of that brain that allows them to have virtually no fear, like the adrenalin junkies who jump off buildings etc.

I discussed this with my lecturer and he made me aware that I have a strong part of the brain for the 'need for danger' and that explains why after all my friends stopped riding from crashes, I still ride today even though I've almost been killed in two bike accidents. I live for the danger. I ride on the street even though I know drivers are getting worse to bikers because that is a danger I am familiar with and I've 'tamed' that danger through my experiences and persistence. Riding on the road, even with the risks involved, now bores me. Now that I'm more experienced in riding and more alert on the street, I turned to track days. Now that I'm faster and I've had my crashes, its also now not enough. I'm now involved in racing and that is a real adrenalin rush.

230kph around turn 4 at Mallala with my knee on the deck and the ripple strips flashing past my face, and a cement wall 30m away in the 'hot zone', I know I'm going to hospital if I come off there ... no buts about it. But hell its a buzz. :eek:

That explains my need to get on anything I can that has wheels and I can do something stupid with it :p

I dont have much fear of danger, I have more of a fear of fines and stuff like that haha.

I dont have much fear of danger, I have more of a fear of fines and stuff like that haha.

LOL

I still fear the danger. Thats healthy, it means the adrenalin is pumping and you get that 'high'. 'Risks' are the stepping stones to take you closer to the real danger (crashing and dying) and with each step you get 'used' to the feeling and end up getting bored. Thats when you become a junkie because nothing gets your heart racing anymore. You just need to ensure that your level of skill can keep up with your level of risk ... or you're dead.

LOL

LOL

You just need to ensure that your level of skill can keep up with your level of risk ... or you're dead.

LOL

in here lies another part of your brain well anouther thought process anyway it's called dout
it's the point where you dout your abilities before you atempt somthing that you haven't done before

it's the 3 or 4 practice runs at a ramp before you hit that 35ft gap

me personally i dont have a great deal of time for fear but me douting myself wil pull me up everytime

but i luv that adrenilin it's the best drug eva invented

Like coolmodee said, Its the doubting myself that will pull me up everytime too, However, If i see someone my age or younger hitting the double or tripple that i was doubting myself over, well thats when i lose all fear and pure adrenaline kicks in... I cant handle the feeling of not being able to do something as good as one of my peers... I think its jealousy hahaha... BUT.. it works everytime and i always come out on top...

as for fear... My fear of stacking on the track is now non-existant... I have stacked so many times that i have become bored of what it feels like to stack..just like ruby said. But that non existent fear of stacking gets me in alot of trouble with injuries.. atm my right hip is warped and locks up really bad, causing me to fall down or just stop immidiately hahaha.. getting x-rays soon.:).... anyways enuff of the life story.. ciao boys.

KTSS, Mark.

Its the doubting myself that will pull me up everytime too, However, If i see someone my age or younger hitting the double or tripple that i was doubting myself over. well thats when i lose all fear

Exactly, my mate hits anything and never doubts himself one bit, as long as he does it first and doesnt crash really bad, I loose all doubt for myself and go for it.

Yeah well im a toughguy school kid too and im not scared of anything because im so tough!

What a load of shit. Fear is normal and a good thing, know it and understand it and you will be a better rider as a result. Fear keeps you in check and helps you to make smart decisions. There is nothing wrong with or not cool about being scared by something. If you say that your not scared at all you are two things. A liar and a tosser.

Well put Captain.

Fear is a part of risk. Some risk more than they fear, and others fear more than they are willing to risk. Which one are you?

There is also another part to this: the 'high' we get from getting away with something. Like doing that high speed corner on ya bike for the first time and getting away with it. There was that element of fear pumping adrenalin thru you, but when you get away with it you feel 'high' from that achievement. And the next time you will take the same risk, but eventually you get bored with it (no longer excited) so you take more risks to get that 'high'.

For those who don't make that fast corner first try, this adds to the fear because you failed, and failed to get that 'high'. You took the risk and it wasn't worth the danger. This just increases the fear.

:D

For example, I can corner turn 4 at Mallala at 230kph (indicated). That corner does scare me, if I come off there I'm more than likely going to hospital, so there is that element of fear. I love the feeling of getting away with it and getting my 'high'. But I have seen a rider lose it on that turn (4 bikes in front) and crash badly. That reminded me of the danger and it took me a while to get my speed up again around that turn.

Yeah well im a toughguy school kid too and im not scared of anything because im so tough!

What a load of shit. Fear is normal and a good thing, know it and understand it and you will be a better rider as a result. Fear keeps you in check and helps you to make smart decisions. There is nothing wrong with or not cool about being scared by something. If you say that your not scared at all you are two things. A liar and a tosser.

IM not scared at all!.. well then i guess im a liar and a tosser... oh well.. shit happens aye.

Latest posts

Back