Need Help Re. CT110 and Thumpster Motors - Interchangable?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue_Smartie

Reaction score
Hey there! First time poster long time reader here!

I've got a CT110 (Honda Postie Bike) with a completely stuffed top end, i was wanting to bolt in a 125cc Manual Engine (instead of the crappy 110cc semi-auto) but i'm not sure if it will bolt in, i dont want to buy the engine and then have it not fit!
Or if the engines wont bolt in does anyone know an engine that would? or are the top ends interchangable?
Cheers
Chris

Hey there,

Don't know whether you could interchange the front ends or swap the engines over, but from what i've seen, to get a 125cc engine you're looking at round 4 - 500 for it, so for an extra 2 - 300 and much less hassle you could just buy a whole new 125cc bike already built..

Just a thought...

Hey there! First time poster long time reader here!

I've got a CT110 (Honda Postie Bike) with a completely stuffed top end, i was wanting to bolt in a 125cc Manual Engine (instead of the crappy 110cc semi-auto) but i'm not sure if it will bolt in, i dont want to buy the engine and then have it not fit!
Or if the engines wont bolt in does anyone know an engine that would? or are the top ends interchangable?
Cheers
Chris
yes it will fit these motors also fit in ATV's aswell try to find a motor that includes the wire harness im not 100% sure if the chinese motor will run on the honda wire harness

gazza2003au said:
yes it will fit these motors also fit in ATV's aswell try to find a motor that includes the wire harness im not 100% sure if the chinese motor will run on the honda wire harness

Thankyou! Exactly what i wanted to hear!
Yes i'll be getting one with a wire harness, also elec start and battery... and taking the baffles out of the exhaust, should be a real go-er!

im not sure if honda changed there motors over the years if they didnt well you will see maybe a little gain if they did than on the other hand u might be down grading these chinese motors are bassed on the early 80's honda postie/Z50R motors
a few guys have already put these motors in a couple of postie bikes and a ATV's so i dont see why it wouldnt fit in yours unless u have a different brand postie

Any engine is an improvement! seeing this one has no top end on it :p all i'm worried about is being able to register it with a chinese engine on it? might still stick to a 110cc if it would cause me troubles with a 125cc
Have to talk to my neighbour as he does rego checks.

most of these chinese motors have serial numbers the only thing that might stop you will be after u go get the pink/blue or white slip the RTA might send u to a vehicle identification checking station this is bull s*** as they slug u with this once u get the pink slip, green slip,pay RTA fees etc... this is there excuse to just check the ID of the vehicle but they will go over the car/motor bike with a fine tooth comb to check any work that has been done is done properly i know this is the case in NSW not sure about other states ust check to see if your compliance plate has the engine number printed

Possible problems with rego

In NSW, although it isn't published as vehicle standards bulletin, any changes above the maximum original engine capacity for the bike, eg 105cc for a CT110, technically requires an engineer's certificate. Not all AIS staff will know this, and if your bike was already registered you may be able to just get a pink slip without anyone knowing, just take it to place that hardly sees bikes. If it is out of rego to the blue slip point, you may be lucky, or depending on who you get you could get lumped with a requirement to have the bike engineered and proof that the engine meeds ADR emission requirements. A total pain if you are unlucky, but fun if you are able to get through without the hassle. I think from memory VSI 28 relates to modification of bikes and VSI 6 to cars. With cars, up to 15% increase in capacity is allowed without a certificate from an engineering signatory, but it doesn't anywhere mention bikes. I made inquiries and there is an unpublished standard that allows you only to fit the maximum engine capacity that the model came with. I'll take pictures of the process I'm about to go through and also provide costs involved if anyone is interested. I am calling this project "CT110 Express Post" and if it works well, I may do a volume of them the same way!

as far as i'm aware the main problem is the footpeg mounts. it is pretty easy however to make up an adapter to make the pegs fit. the other thing you may encounter is the rotor/stator. the 125 you want to put in, does it have an IRK? if so, you'll need to swap back to a standard setup and run a regulator to be able to charge the battery for lights, etc. it shouldn't be a problem to wire it to the honda regulator.

The silly VASS/ADR cycle of misery

I just enquired with an engineer about getting my Postie through the ADR and he informs me that before he will even look at it that I will need to put the bike through a brake test.

Now I need to find out if it needs to be full or partial brake test.

It is pretty lame that the govt makes a straight forward process so tricky.

This whole ADR thing is starting to sound like this is all going to get pretty expensive.

A lot more expensive than a file and some letter metal punches...

I've not long finished fitting the 140cc Lifan into a postie bike. If you're interested I can provide the details on how to do it. Now that I've done one it would probably only take me about an hour to do the complete conversion. I have my bike listed on Ebay so you can check out the pictures of the finished product at

Honda CT110 1998 model rego June 2009 'Express Post' - eBay Honda, Road Bikes, Motorcycles, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 31-Oct-08 21:42:08 AEDST)

There are a few tricks to making it all go together nicely. Now that it is done the bike is so much fun to ride.

Latest posts

Back