Need Stronger Front Brake

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just take ur pads into a bike shop and flick through the gold fern book. They can match them up with the life size pictures.... if it is only slightly different u can quite easily grind back the pad to make it fit.

If you really want to fix it once and for all then you source larger disk and make caliper bracket to suit. See how that pulls up with stock pads, if still not good enough swap out pads for dearer/better ones. If that still no good find good easy to source caliper off Jap bike.

shhh Mack
I have some 220mm discs on the way and a 4 piston front caliper to go with it, was gonna give me an advantage but now you just gone and told everyone....

nah just kidding its all good.

Yeah bigger rotors should be one of the first places to look when doing up your brakes and with them being so cheap why not do them.

Look at all the MX bikes that are converted to motard, they start off with 17" rims and road tyres / slicks and a 320mm front disk and caliper relocating bracket. When they want more they goto a better caliper & master cylinder and good pads.

lol... yeah people still have to get it setup to work good! When racing you will pass under brakes going into corners more than anywhere else. Especially in a restricted engine class where the machines are pretty even in power. If you can brake late as you want with two fingers, you will be hard to beat by anyone with lesser braking, unless of course they have huge balls....

Hey I been meaning to ask, do they let you run on the toowoomba kart track? I haven't been there for years since I raced karts, but if its still the same was a great track. I have heaps of relos in Toowoomba. Used to go partying up there heaps.

Took apart my MSO Pro front caliper and found 12mm of unused area on the outside of the pad. Currently running a 190mm rotor and thinking of going 220mm which would leave 3mm overhang but Masterspoon tells me that's the way to go. I noticed the Pro lacked braking power but was shocked to find so much unused pad.

Opposite scenario on the PitPro, just took that apart and found unused pad on the inside. Does this just mean go to a smaller rotor or is there more to it?

Hey I been meaning to ask, do they let you run on the toowoomba kart track? I haven't been there for years since I raced karts, but if its still the same was a great track. I have heaps of relos in Toowoomba. Used to go partying up there heaps.

They have 2 kart tracks up here Mack. First off there is the outdoor kart track down Murphy's Creek way which I think is the one you are thinking about, they used to run big motards there but apparently no one ever got the proper permission and they nearly closed down the track. This means that if it ain't a kart they don't want it there, don't wanna risk loosing the use of the track for themselves.

The other is the indoor kart track near the airport. Now it is a little bit strange, they don't let you bring your own bikes (minimotards or pocketbikes) but once a week I think it is they run little bikes around the track. They supply the bike and all that however it cost the same as hire karts which is something like $14 for 10 minutes. Bit pricey for my taste but would probably be fun for those without bikes.

The bikes they have are the size of a z50 pretty much, running bridgestone slicks (apparently rather slippery till they warm up) and you take turns in riding so keep the bikes going almost constantly. Would be fun to get out to race against some of your mates but compared to the $20 for a session at Archerfield where you would get heaps more track time (2hrs maybe?) I think I won't bother going there anytime soon.

I have about 5mm of unused pad...

Its easy enough in theory but finding a larger disk and caliper is damn hard.... Finding a standard disk with the correct bolt pattern is hard enough let alone a BIGGER disk...

Which jap bike has the same caliper as these china bikes?

Just use the original disk to bolt to hub then trim it and drill for a bigger disk to mount whatever you like. Could bolt them together or have them properly riveted together. Two parts to the disk if you know what I mean.
Or have some disks laser cut. Make some $$$ in the process.

My guess is none will have the same caliper, would be best off looking for something that runs similar sized disks to whatever you intend to run and then make up a mount to suit. Dhz, msomotorcycles and maylandsperformance should have some disks but they may have a different bolt pattern if your Lei is running a different style hub.

I think a 220mm disk is about the biggest you can fit under 12" wheels so maybe look at what jap bikes run a 220mm disk, maybe have to go back brakes off a road bike or front of a small jap mx bike

I know the rear caliper on a early mdl honda rs125 is the same as the pads match. Replacing the caliper is def last resort.
I actually have a mate who is a boiler maker and he uses a laser cutter. Ill see if he can give me a piece of 3mm steel and ill cut out a disc myself. Create a template in AutoCad would be a pain in the ass for a one off job.

Auto cad is not actually that hard to do if you can get your hands on the software and means that they will make it exactly how you want

if he uses a lazer cutter get it cut out on that.

Im currently in talks with him..... I asked him if I can get some 3mm thick steel and he said no problems, what type?

So I need to know what type of steel is used for discs...... is it hardened or some form of alloy (being steel mixed with something else)... I have NFI.... I might just try normal steel he has laying aroudn and see what happens... it might warp at high temp though....

Also, I got my pads and put them in the bike. I only rode it up my court and it seemed to stop better... will need to take it for a decent ride to see for sure.

As far as material you should use a high carbon steel (S/steel) or a suitable alloy steel. Dont use mild steel :eek:

Heat treating the disc once it has been machined is also the way to go.

If you need more info about any of this PM me and i can give you more info:cool:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back