NEW FAKE VM24 MIKUNI (Made in China)

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NRG

Reaction score
I have noticed a large amount of FAKE Mikuni VM24 carbies on the market, here and overseas, been sold for just a little less then what is costs for a real one.:mad:

How to tell the difference:

There are many differences between the real and the fakes, but there is one dead giveaway that anyone can pickup.

I will keep it simple

Mikuni make 2 VM24's only (VM24-473 & VM24-489)

1. VM24-473: has a 2 bolt-on type connection to the manifold with no "large" drain plug in the fuel bowl.

VM24-473links400.jpg

2. VM24-489: Requires a rubber sleeve adapter to the manifold, and has a 'Large" drain plug in the fuel bowl.

VM24-489links%20400.jpg

The fake VM24 Requires a rubber sleeve adapter but has no "Large" drain plug!

So if you see a VM24 with the round type connection to the manifold and NO Drain plug in the fuel bowl, then its a FAKE!

Yes I know ... I've got one (Fakuni ?) ... BUT it looks to be a well made carb ... the float bowl seems to be made of magnesium ... extremely light with a clean and smooth die cast finish and the Mikuni and MIC logos are sharply cast ...

You might recognise one ... It's the EXACT same carb as shown in the 2009 Dirtmax catalogue ... And the price I paid ... bought thru ebay off ykjohnson ???? .. A whopping ... wait for it !!!!!!! ... :D

Item Number Item Title Quantity Price Subtotal
150237568076 MIKUNI VM-26 CARB KIT FIT 138-250CC dirt bikes 1 $31.50 AUD $31.50 AUD

He did state on the listing that it was a VM-24 ... and it's exactly the same size thru the venturi (24 mm) as a "26" Molkt which some claim to be a "28" ... the throat tapers to 28 mm out of the rear ... The slide is 27.5 mm ...

The chinese or whoever is makin' 'em are getting really good because I'm impressed with the look and feel of it ... plus how well it's machined ... it's on a YX-08 manifold , has a strongly made thick neoprene rubber adaptor , and one of those angle adaptors plus a Uni Filter ...

Nice One...........for $31.50 i would buy a faki too, The Rubber adapter is worth that on its on by takagawa!
yeah they look really good, actually too good.................

Have you pulled it down yet? how does it go?

My main point is that a lot of other sellers are selling em for $150.00 + and that is just down right rude!

But if you can get the fakies cheap, go for it.

I bought a Real VM26 form the U.K a couple of months ago for 116.00 AUD delivered, but that was when the AUD was up.

Last edited:
A genuine Mikuni will be a better carb out of the box ... but ANY carb can be tuned and sorted to work well ... although you can buy ANY spare part for the Genuine carbs ...

The big drain plug you're talking about is actually a main jet quick access plug (main jet plug part #27) to help make jet swaps easier when racing ... It also serves the purpose of draining as you've stated and helps with fuel slosh , a cause of spluttering and intermittent hesitation over rough tracks , ruts , whoops and jumps etc by deepening the float bowl and allowing a main jet cover to be fitted ... The jet shroud/bell (main jet ring) is made of brass and has small holes drilled in it ... it traps fuel and keeps it around the entrance of the main jet at all times ...

It's part number 35 in these links ...

http://www.sudco.com/Diagrams123/expvm.gif

Sudco - Mikuni VM Carburetor Parts

Main jet plug part #27 ...

Sudco - Mikuni VM Carburetor Parts

I've only seen them on the VM-28's though ... but making a "bell" shroud was a mod we did to 22 mm Keihin carbs when racing worked XR75's ... The Keihins worked the best since they were already thoroughly sorted out by Hondas engineers except for the fuel slosh problem .. Mikunis bogged and carried on ... but people still used 'em because they were cheaper than the Honda carbs ...

I haven't tested the VM-24 yet but I've looked inside and they look clean and well made ...

I "won" the right to pay that price for the carb kit in an ebay auction ... luckily everyone else was being stingey because I had a max bid of $100 on it ... :p Anyone who thinks they've won ANYTHING on ebay that they have to pay for is a complete fool .... "Durrrhhh ... I won , I won ... now I just have to pay a higher price than anyone else on the planet was willing to pay ..." ... You should see the crazy prices some f'wits are paying for chinese made Australian model trains ... you also get loonies (Mainly Yanks) paying moronically high prices for old XR parts as if they're rare ancient Egyptian artifacts ...

Yeah, you are right about any properly tuned carby running right regardless if its a china or not, but i have to say that since i have started using Mikuni, i have noticed that when i snap rev it, it returns to a perfect idle everytime.

My experince with chinas, is that they struggle to return to a perfect idle, and sometimes would stall when the revs dropped.

Mikuni's aslo have some type of coating on the throttle slide, i guess to prolong its life, little can be said for the chinas in that repect.

As for the jet bell, my VM26 has one, but its plastic & i dont think it has holes in it.

Yeah, i did hear that about the yanks and the XR parts................bit like us and Monkey parts, well some of us anyway ...........that dont know any better.

I know a "twit" who paid a kings ramson (180.00) for a dinged up headlight cover, when you can buy a new one from cmsnl.com for half that!

Yeah ... the coating on the slide in some of the Chinese carbs is what lets them down ... the VM-24 copy and the TB-28 (Keihin PE copy) both have decent coatings on their slide ... The TB-28 has a hard chromed brass slide ... Maybe giving sticking slides a light smear of Nulon teflon grease (One Grease) will help ...

It's good to hear that the genuine VM-26 has a jet shroud ... a lot of later model bikes and XR400's have the plastic shroud too ... they don't need holes in them on a 4 stroke ... Mikuni puts them in their "jet ring" on VM-28's which are set up for two strokes ...

Carbs will take time to return to idle if the pilot or idle F/A ratio is too rich or the float bowl fuel level is too high ... and they'll stall too ... A hell of a lot of people over enrichen their carbs to get around an off idle bog ... so the engine takes time to rev down as a result ... To verify it .. turn the idle speed down to zero then recheck ... IF nothing changes .. then it's the slide sticking ... Flat slide carbs can suffer from the slide getting forced into the back of the slide bore by the intake air velocity on throttle chop ... and copping "stiction" ... That's why they "D" shaped the slide with the curved part at the rear ... The more expensive true flat slide FCR carbs have roller bearings to stop the problem ...

I've seen one kook pay $457 US for a NOS ... '73 to '76 XR75 stock low performance intake manifold ... the same kook outbid me for a new cam chain tensioner at $119 US ... I bought a brand new one from Canada a week later for $35 US buy it now ... Honda Australia quoted me $287 "if they could find one" ... When the tensioner arrived from Canada I discovered that from '73 right up to the latest model CRF 80's all take the exact same tensioner ... :p

Check this BBR blog out ... Some fool pulled the roller door off the front of their factory , cut a cable going thru a heap of BBR bikes ... but only took their DG X75 ...

BBR Motorsports, Inc - Official Blog

Incidentally , have you measured the venturi on your genuine VM-26 ???

Latest posts

Back