No spark with I.R.K

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtrider

Reaction score
Put a irk in last night and now i have no spark. All the wiring im sure is right, ive been going over it again and again but still no spark. If someone could help please as im keen to take it for a ride to see how the irk goes.:confused:

u sure the wireing is right

do u have good contact for your earth have u scraped the paint away to get contact ?
can only be your wireing mate

Get a test light and start at the stator, see if it has power coming out of it. Then just go thru the harness seeing if there is power where it should.

Attachments

• wire.jpg
    wire.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 48
ive got a alloy frame and ive got the earth on the bolt that i have used to bolt on the new cdi box and its bolted to a alloy tag on the frame and if it is the earth would it create the no spark at the plug

GOD damm it peet where were you when i was doing mine

thats an awsome wireing diagram i could have used that
saved it anywas cheers mate

if u think itz not earthing properly direct link the green wires together and see
if u got a spark then. if not then itz either wired wrong or ur coils no good?

can also be the cdi, i got a spare one if you need it

been playin round with the magnic pick up and sometimes ive been geting spark the bike will run for abit tighten the screws up and lose spark

I have a irk with similar problem, there is spark at the coil and leed and plug, but she wont start, I put a new plug in but still no go, 3 new cdi's and still no go, new irk and still no go, new kill switch still no go, $200 diagnostic test at the bike shop and they reckon theres not enough power in the spark! so I put a new higher output coil and still no go, so I think I might put the old magneto back on and leave the light oil sling on but I cant remember how it wires up so has anyone got a diagram or could they take some pics close up of how it wires up and send them to me at [email protected] or post them here please? these irk seem to give more pain than pleasure I should of just left it alone.:confused: :confused: :confused: :mad:

Im ordering a new coil to see if the problem lays there, but i think it may be the cdi or magnic pick up. Played around with it for about 5hrs yesterday had the bike running afew times bike would rev up sweet :D then die out from lose of spark :( Then start going over it again and again i dont think it would be the coil because i have never had thiS problem untill the irk went in.
ALL WIRES ARE CORRECT there are only 5 of them not hard to work out where they go and i dont have my kill switch in the loop im going to leave it off. Cant wait to work the problem out so i can take it for a ride.

Yeah i had a think about it at work, so i trying to get a muiltymeter and see where its breaking down. Does any one know what oem/volts reading is at the spark plug cap on one of these or if anyone with a irk and std coil with a muiltymeter can take a reading off there bike for me thanks. Just to compare mine to

Im ordering a new coil to see if the problem lays there, but i think it may be the cdi or magnic pick up. Played around with it for about 5hrs yesterday had the bike running afew times bike would rev up sweet :D then die out from lose of spark :( Then start going over it again and again i dont think it would be the coil because i have never had thiS problem untill the irk went in.
ALL WIRES ARE CORRECT there are only 5 of them not hard to work out where they go and i dont have my kill switch in the loop im going to leave it off. Cant wait to work the problem out so i can take it for a ride.

Check that the pick ups are not contacting the rotor ( you need an air gap) on the generator coil and the ignition pick up. We have found a couple to have too much paint under the coils (where it runs near the rotor) clean that with a small wire wheel on a dremel and try again. Make sure you havent got the ign pick up & coils lose also the need to be tight. It may also help to add an earth wire from frame to the engine. We also solder all the connections when we install IRK's

On the ignition pick up ive got .05 of a mm gap and i will try to take some of the paint off the generator coil. I put another coil on my bike i got of a mate and still had no spark. I had a chat yesterday to the mechanic at DHZ where i got thr irk from, and from what i told him he thinks it may be the generator coil. Will try getting some of the paint of the generator coil today and give it ago.

For crying out loud...pack all the stuff together and bring it back where you bought it....it was new ,wasn´t it??

I put another coil on to see if that may of had something to do with it but still no go, got some spare parts coming to try out now. themountain im keen to see for myself what the problem is otherwise i would have sent the whole thing back.

hmm i wired mine once and it started first kick
i guess u didnt get instructions
i did!!! lol if they werent covered in oil id scan them for u

IT'S ALIVE!!!! :D :D I've got my bike going, I.R.K kicks ass at the moment i'm like a kid at christmas time. Got my bike going as you can tell, it's running sweet not missing abeat just have to play with the timing now i'll do that on the weekend. Ok now you want to know what was wrong with it all the problem was the timing/spark pick up was faulty i got sent another I.R.K and swaped the bit and the bike started first kick. Can't wait till my cam and valve springs turn up now.;) All i need now is a couple of parts and i will have a 2nd I.R.K for another motor.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where you can get spare parts for the I.R.K. Would like to get a price on a cdi box and a genorator coil the part that sits around the flywheel closest to the head.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back