Normal engine oil as 2 stroke oil

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minii-wog

Reaction score
Hey ...i wanted to see if anyone thinks its a good idea to mix engine oil with petrol to make 2 stroke fuel instead of using commercial 2 stroke oil

if No...WHY? all its doing is lubing tha piston n crank up
and will it have any affects on performance:confused:

THANXX;)

Last edited:
It's not a good idea, 4 stroke engine oil is not designed to mix with petrol, it doesn't mix right, its also not designed to be combusted like 2 stroke oil, it will smoke like mad, foul your plug, and lead to massive carbon build-up, and probably seize your engine if you use it over time. 2-strokes have special needs when it comes to oil, don't be cheap, invest in good oil and your engine will thank you.

It's not a good idea, 4 stroke engine oil is not designed to mix with petrol, it doesn't mix right, its also not designed to be combusted like 2 stroke oil, it will smoke like mad, foul your plug, and lead to massive carbon build-up, and probably seize your engine if you use it over time. 2-strokes have special needs when it comes to oil, don't be cheap, invest in good oil and your engine will thank you.

damn right.

i use to put normal synthetic oil in my fuel for my pocket rocket it stuffs up the engine good.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanx alot fiddy...i didnt think it would be that dramatic
No problem:) but you could, in an emergency, use 4-stroke engine oil as 2 stroke oil, but you would have to mix it in a high oil to gas ratio and not push the engine, It's REALLY not recomended, but if you are stranded miles from home and its your only chance of getting home, it could work, but you would probably have to replace your plug when you got home.

I ran my Victa on used sump oil for 10 years but I wouldnt do that with anything you really loved.

A low revving, low power 2stroke can probably survive bad oil longer than a high powered MX 2 stroker, a moped type engine could survive a long time on crap-oil, but my cr250 would probably seize on the first ride. either way, its not recomended to use shitty oil on a 2stroke, they need the good stuff!

Very very very well said mate.

also remember when you add oil to fuel the more oil you add the leaner the fuel mixture,now I can hear you all saying "WHAT!!!!!!!!!" but it is true more oil =less fuel so it's a lean FUEL mixture and this done in excess can cause problems too,, most times it will just foul plugs as we tend to putt around but if the bike it run hard for a long period it can cause pinging/detination cracking pistons and over heating ect so if your going to run extra oil in your fuel you may well find you need to increase your jetting too.Now I know this won't effect most of you, but some guys do run a bit of 2stroke oil in there 4stroke fuel for a little top end lubrication and then suddenly find problems with there bike and then they think I have been doing the right thing giveing it a little extra lube and all, when in fact there doing more harm then good cause they haven't changed their jetting.Sorry I know it's a little off topic but just thought it might be a bit of info for someone one day.
BIT

Latest posts

Back