Oil changes...whats the deal?(noob)

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad man

Reaction score
one question, i have good quallity oil. how regully should i change it? every 5 hours 10 hours ?? please help as the oil i got cost me $40 and have only changed it twice. O and another thing, my grandad thinks that if the oil is clean that is ok to keep it in there still? is that ok or correct??? eeeeeeep!

mad man said:
one question, i have good quallity oil. how regully should i change it? every 5 hours 10 hours ?? please help as the oil i got cost me $40 and have only changed it twice. O and another thing, my grandad thinks that if the oil is clean that is ok to keep it in there still? is that ok or correct??? eeeeeeep!
i change my oil every 8 to 10 hours, $40 for 1ltr i'm guessing its fully synthetic which is not recommened for these engines as the clutches dont like it for some reason.I run MOTUL 5100 which is a semi synthetic oil , seems to work great and costs $12.00 per ltr.

well, it depends from brand to brand. Personally i think a semi good oil and frequent changes is better than expensive oil and less frequent... and good oil with frequent changes the best (obviously).

I would change oil less and less frequent as the engine starts to wear in, until your rings start to get crap seal and you get alot of blow-by contamination of the oil.

So change your oil every 10 hrs, but when you change, take note of the colour of the oil and the amount of metal fragments. If its still a pretty tranparent and browny gold then you could have left it for a little longer (still put some fresh stuff in tho). If it comes out black and with alot of shaving i would make the next change a little more frequent.

It also depends on how often you start your engine from cold. If your only doing 5 min rides you will be getting alot of blow-by with the cold engine and crap ring seal, so you will need to change more frequent. If you start it one and ride all day you will probably be able to delay the oil change as the engine will remain warm and result in less blow-by contamination.

keep an eye on these two things and you should be able to get to know when your engine will need a change.

It's a bit hard to put an hour or km schedule on dirtbikes with no hourmeter or odometer so I generally just do it when the oil starts looking a bit dark...

With my new Ducar engine I warmed it up and had a 5min ride then change the oil... 2nd change was after about 10x 5km rides cycling the Temp running it in... 3rd was after about 100km+ of riding.... now I check the oil level every ride and when it starts looking a bit dirty on the dipstick I change it...

Edit: BTW I just use Honda oil, 4L for $33

yeah the oil i got was from the moto shop wich is semi synethetic, the shop is a rip off and the other place didnt sell it. (small town ffs) i changed it and it had no shavings or shit, um it was gold brown so i guest i could of left it in there for longer. i will check tomorow or when i got out 2 where my bike is located and check it and tell you's if it has any shavings and the colour. thanks very much for the help..!!

yeh , i agree , when you oil starts to get a dark honey to black you should change oil. I have a xr80 95, uses about 700ml use motul semi synthetic $12 for 1L runs on that for about 15 running hours before i change it. But with new engines the run in period is crucial to change oil and to remove the metal particles that could damage you engine.

Latest posts

Back